SiouxSports.com Forum

Dakota Student Opinions

GeauxSioux

Letter: logo causes harm

The mascot improperly used by the University of North Dakota is a mischaracterization of our male ancestors who defended the women and children, who defended our philosophies, our stewardship of this land, our belief in our sacred place in creation.

This mischaracterization dehumanizes these ancestors by putting them on par with animals used in sports competitions to rally crowds. This mischaracterization continues the negative stereotypes of Hollywood "westerns" where our men are portrayed as simple-minded bloodthirsty "primitives." This is not who my ancestors were. How dare a university take on such an image and maintain it against the wishes of all the Tribes in the region and then purport to serve as a public educational institution that serves the area.

First of all UND does not have a mascot. Second, call me stupid, ignorant, etc...., but I still don't get how UND is mischaracterizing the male ancestors of the Sioux people. Further, how are they being dehumanized? How and where they portrayed as simple-minded bloodthirsty primitives? This letter is filled with emotion, but does not provide any information to further any discussions for or against the Sioux name.

Letter: "Fighting Sioux" tradition

I recall many trips to Ft. Yates, North Dakota to the tribal chairman's office, who at that time was Aljoe Agard. I was young, but old enough to understand and listen as they discussed important matters.

I thought Aljoe was the smartest man and I remember he always listended when my parents or grandparents spoke to him. I would never disrespect the decisions he made when he was tribal chairman.

I could never say Aljoe Agard did not know what he was saying when it came to the Fighting Sioux nickname to be used by UND, anymore than I can say my parents or grandparents did not know what they were saying back then.

So I am here to defend my Standing Rock Sioux elders and the decisions that were made about the Fighting Sioux logo. I humbly ask my elders who were involved to come forward and support me as we allow UND to keep the name.

As opposed to the first letter, this letter provides information as to why she feels the way she does.

Another lawyer.
:silly:
Maybe Shakespeare was right.

This mischaracterization dehumanizes these ancestors by putting them on par with animals used in sports competitions to rally crowds.
Good point; there goes the Irish, Trojans, Spartans-you know the drill here. Also, you need to alert the Seminoles and Utes. :glare:

This mischaracterization continues the negative stereotypes of Hollywood "westerns" where our men are portrayed as simple-minded bloodthirsty "primitives."
Okay, let us know how your campaign to ban movies that you don't like is going. (As a layman, I kind of thought the Constitution said I could make any movie I wanted-and you could watch it or not. But, as a lawyer you simply must know more. Just like Poli Sci students.)

BTW, how exactly do you tell what causes what? When you feel that you are discriminated against, is it caused by movies or the University of North Dakota? Do you ask the person who is sending out all these "negative waves" whether they've seen either the North Dakota hockey team or the a movie such as "Stagecoach"?

And what if they've seen both? ;)

How dare a university take on such an image and maintain it against the wishes of all the Tribes in the region and then purport to serve as a public educational institution that serves the area.
The University took on the image of brave, valiant people with grit and determination. (BTW, that's the same thing EVERY university, team, club, etc. does.) You have chosen to totally misconstrue their intent.

"A Bear is a wussy animal, scared and frightened. How dare the Chicago NFL team take on this image?"

:0

This is an educational access issue and a human rights issue.
How so?

At a minimum, the mascot pits Tribal member against Tribal member...
So what?

Do you think that all tribal members (or for that matter, all people) need to think alike? Do you think that eliminating a nickname logo is going to change this? And do you think that this change will be for the better?

I remember well the feeling of being isolated and at any moment subject to negative comments or experiences going about my daily routines as a law student on campus.
And you have assigned a cause to your "feelings" that most people think is way off base.

I wish that experience on no other person and will do all in my power to keep this issue in the area of reality.
-A) again, not everyone will experience what you did. Quite frankly, not everyone else is quite as paranoid as you seem to be.

-B) You've got a long way to go to get back to reality.

As a law professor, I am finding the Tribal student pipeline is down to a drip. Why should the University of North Dakota be allowed to discourage our young people from going to a public institution close to their home reservations and then possibly on to graduate degree programs elsewhere?
Again, you're assigning your preferred "cause" to some effect, and your preferred characterization ("slowed to a drip") to not only the stats, but the cause of those stats. All of this is done without any proof being offered.

I had no idea I would face a daily struggle to try to ignore the mascot gear worn, carried, and displayed by fellow students, undergraduates, on billboards around town, on cups, mugs, hats, frankly, practically everywhere.
Well, first I would ask if you visited campus before enrolling; and then I would ask why you stay in the community and/or state? Following that, I would ask how you think FSU or Utah students manage to "ignore" all of this? Finally, I would wonder why you think your feelings count for any more than anyone else's feelings?

I really have to wonder how this person wins a case with arguments like these.

IMHO, the people who say that America has way, way WAY too many lawyers are right.

The mascot improperly used by the University of North Dakota is a mischaracterization of our male ancestors who defended the women and children, who defended our philosophies, our stewardship of this land, our belief in our sacred place in creation.

Actually, they pretty much got their asses handed to them by other tribes, and eventually the US Army. Perhaps the Cowering Sioux would be a more appropriate name.

At a minimum, the mascot pits Tribal member against Tribal member as apparently we are at opposite ends on this, Mr. Lambert.

Yes, god forbid people have honest differences of opinion. Your academia is truly showing.

I remember well the feeling of being isolated and at any moment subject to negative comments or experiences going about my daily routines as a law student on campus.

Perhaps you're just not a very interesting or fun person.

The area of reality is that our Tribal members are not seeking higher educations. As a law professor, I am finding the Tribal student pipeline is down to a drip.

You don't think the inherent problems of reservation life, such as poverty, crime, addiction, etc. have some impact on one's decisions to attend college? Not everbody is as "enlightened" as you.

BTW: Jesus called, and he wants his cross back from you. :glare:

Actually, they pretty much got their asses handed to them by other tribes, and eventually the US Army. Perhaps the Cowering Sioux would be a more appropriate name.

Yes, god forbid people have honest differences of opinion. Your academia is truly showing.

Perhaps you're just not a very interesting or fun person.

You don't think the inherent problems of reservation life, such as poverty, crime, addiction, etc. have some impact on one's decisions to attend college? Not everbody is as "enlightened" as you.

BTW: Jesus called, and he wants his cross back from you. :glare:

:lol: