SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Alumni Data Base - STOLEN

SiouxMD

Why would that information be on a portable device(laptop) in the first place?

Seriously, that's what I wonder every time I see one of these stories.

I guess most of my real jobs have been in places that are pretty serious about data management, but I have troubles even imagining life in an organization where grabbing a complete copy of an important database and throwing it on a laptop seems like a reasonable or even sane decision.

In unrelated news -- UND alumni should watch their credit card statements to make sure their involuntary $10 donations go through, it will appear on your credit card statement as "siouxsports.com".

Ya know, I handle most of the legal work for information privacy and data security issues for a large multi-national and, so far, I am not overly impressed by the Association's response, or the vendor's response, set forth in the Herald.

The mere fact you farm out work to a third party doesn't necessary release you from liability, folks. And, it's not beyond the FTC's means and demeanor to go after a nonprofit for sloppy handling of consumer information. Moreover, there are a myriad of state-level breach and notification laws that may be now in play, since some of us have migrated from NoDak.

Edit:

Here's the link on the Association website.

Linky