SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

hf training camp previews

zajac and jordan parise mentions

The Devils signed a handful of prospects to their first pro contracts towards the end of the season and into the summer. The most notable prospect to sign was center Travis Zajac who is currently the Devils second highest ranked prospect on Hockey

tampa bay camp review

matt smaby

The other key defensive signing was that of Matt Smaby, the physical stay-at-home product of the University of North Dakota, who came to terms with the Lightning shortly after the NCAA season wrapped up. Of the two, Smaby is probably the most NHL-ready defensive prospect the Lightning have, though there may be a logjam in front of him, preventing a Paul Ranger-esque meteoric rise to the Lightning roster out of training camp.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9046

only thing so far i found on patrick

http://sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=623

How about the Sioux tri-fecta:

Antlers in Patrick's future?

By KEN WIEBE -- Winnipeg Sun

James Patrick is hanging up his skates again and this time it's for good.

Patrick, the Winnipegger who spent last season playing in Germany for the Frankfurt Lions (DEL) after initially retiring and taking a job as an assistant coaching job with the Buffalo Sabres, says he's got the playing bug out of his system.

"I had fun playing but with my body, I can't do what the young guys can do anymore," Patrick, a veteran of 1,280 NHL regular season and another 117 Stanley Cup playoff games, said yesterday. "I'm glad I did it but it's time to move on."

It's possible Patrick could join Scott Arniel as an assistant coach with the Manitoba Moose or perhaps replace him as an assistant coach with the Sabres.

"It's something I would definitely consider, but I don't know what's going to happen," said Patrick, when asked specifically about a potential Moose opportunity. "I've thought about it but we'll see how things play out."

So, Berry, Jackson, and Patrick all Sioux, all named Assitants at all three levels, and all in the same off-season. Gosh golly.

hf sabres training camp review

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9063

stafford mention

On the eve of his first NHL training camp, 2004 first-rounder Drew Stafford has positioned himself as a potential wildcard in the mix of players fighting to win a job. The former University of North Dakota standout got his first taste of elite level hockey this spring by being one of two collegians (Bruins prospect Phil Kessel was the other) tabbed for Team USA at the World Championships. At 6-2, 205 pounds, Stafford already has NHL size and strength, and his versatile package of speed, offensive potential, and responsible defensive hockey immediately place him in the top tier of two-way point producers looking to break through

AZSioux- Yeah, Colby got signed by Anaheim this past summer. I'm not sure what kind of contract it was, though. Some of the Anaheim fans and Ranger fans over on the HOckeysfuture board state that he has NHL potential. I hope he does.

Prpich not getting signed is a sadder note. I have faith he'll catch on with some minor league team.

As for Stafford, I think he will be in Buffalo by season's middle. However, I don't know if he will start the season with the team.

Parise scores a goal in NJ 5-0 win over Bruins. "Zach Parise closed the scoring at 13:07 of the third period, the only goal at even strength."

**Note** One move wonder did not play :lol:

"The Bruins elected not to play their marquee free-agent signings - defenseman Zdeno Chara, center Marc Savard and first-round draft pick Phil Kessel."

Devils

On another note Vanek ends up with stitches.

"During a scrimmage, Thomas Vanek received a stiff check from rookie defenseman Patrick Kaleta and suffered a gash on his forehead that required stitches."

Sabres

coyotes rookie tourney review. matt jones mention

The strong point of the Coyotes system as of late has been defense, as it showed when opposing offenses found it increasingly hard to score on the team at even strength.

Matt Jones, who was also the team

I was wondering about him and David Hale, personally.

Hale is in camp unsigned. The Devils have cap issues. Brian Gionta, David Hale, Paul Martin and Scott Clemmensen are all unsigned (Eric Rasmussen might also belong in that list and maybe one other - the first 4 are the ones I care about) due to cap issues. They do still have a lot of D, but hopefully those 4 will be signed. I should get some pictures up from Friday's practices tonight or tomorrow night.

Jordan Parise was part of both group 2 and group 3 as there are 5 goaltenders in camp. Groups 1 and 2 are a mix of Devils and babies while group 3 is guys headed for Lowell at best. I think he should make the Lowell squad with Naumenko going down to the E. He hasn't gotten a new mask yet, but at least he isn't clinging to past glory like Naumenko still using a Ducks mask. I don't mean to be mean, but that cup of coffee with Anaheim was in 2000-01 and he hasn't played for Cincinnati since 02-03.

The Devils have cap issues. Brian Gionta, David Hale, Paul Martin and Scott Clemmensen are all unsigned They do still have a lot of D, but hopefully those 4 will be signed.

LOL! Saying the debbies have cap issues is the understatement of the century. How likely is it that L.L. will be able to sign these four players while paying a couple of big names who won't dress a single game for them this season (ie. Malakhov/Mogilny) ?

No doubt L.L. will wait until early October to sharpen his hatchet and then use it; but use it he must....and it will be used on at least one of the above mentioned players.