SiouxSports.com Forum

World

star2city

You know, there are a lot of great ventures out there. This is another one. It will join venues such as the Fargodome, the Alerus Center, the I-29 Amusement Center... Oh wait! None of them actually are making money! One of them (I29) is actually torn down and turned into apartment buildings!

Talk about a here today gone tommorrow restaurant with a laibility attached (statue).

I'd just love to see the look on the city council's faces when it goes out of business and the city is left with a giant statue with lit eyes cluttering up Gateway.... Or maybe some wayward UND Aerospace student will crash into it. Either way, it would be a worthless waste. ;)

Or maybe some wayward UND Aerospace student will crash into it.

Hey!!...Ok, so that could happen (cough, alternator failure, cough, emergency landing,cough...all Aerospace students will apreciate the humor in that, except for one ;) (I hope she doesn't read this board)

What's with the hatin'?

Back on topic. I really don't know if this is a good idea or not. While a hockey-themed restaurant would be pretty cool, but a 60 ft. hockey guy?... :D;)

You know, there are a lot of great ventures out there.  This is another one.  It will join venues such as the Fargodome, the Alerus Center, the I-29 Amusement Center... Oh wait!  None of them actually are making money!  One of them (I29) is actually torn down and turned into apartment buildings! 

Talk about a here today gone tommorrow restaurant with a laibility attached (statue). 

I'd just love to see the look on the city council's faces when it goes out of business and the city is left with a giant statue with lit eyes cluttering up Gateway.... Or maybe some wayward UND Aerospace student will crash into it.  Either way, it would be a worthless waste. ;)

Yea you're right, the city council should just summarily reject all ideas brought in by private citizens. Maybe they could thank them on their way out as they move to the Minneapolis suburbs. :D

Cripes, lighten up and let them look into it. I like the fact that people actually care enough to be coming up with new ideas. Not all ideas will stick, but at least people are not satisfied with the status quo. If I were a decisionmaker, I would like to see exactly what they are asking of the city before I passed judgment. If it's just zoning issues and building permits, why not?

Yesterday afternoon there was a (radio) discussion regarding this topic. It was either the guy proposing it or else it was someone from the "Gateway" Commission -- (the commission which works on improving hwy 2/Gateway Drive: they're the ones who spurred the movement about putting up the walls along hwy 2 between the airport and the city limits)

It was a fun discussion -- this guy was pretty enthusiastic about this big hockey player/goalie -- especially the green glowing eyes at night. The radio host was a little (a lot) more reserved. (Talk then turned back how more improvement is needed on the drive from the airport to the city on hwy 2.)

I'm not too familiar with the situation and I'm aware there's some sort of Gateway commission in charge of shaping the future of Gateway...but I don't think this Jacobson guy is actually asking for money from the city to build the statue, is he? If not, I'd be for it. If so, I'd be against it. If it's through some tax break incentives that are available to anybody else who wants to invest in the Gateway area, I'd probably be for it. Gateway Drive is just plain ugly (except for the REA and the Happy Harry's complex). Any private party who wants to invest along that drive should be encouraged IMO.

btw- this should probably be moved out of the hockey forum. Sorry to anyone looking for hockey discussion. ;)