SiouxSports.com Forum

Devils Win!

flatspin7

Game 7. At home.

3rd Cup in 9 years.

Brodeur Pitched 3 Shut outs in the finals, and they Devils set the record for Home wins in a playoff year. I think it they were 11-1 at home. Holy Crap.

:glare:

Lord Stanley is Welcome in New Jersey.

How did I know you would start this thread? ;):angry:

Great game. Pretty even IMO except for the 2nd, the Ducks proved to any doubters that they deserved to be there. Congrats to the Devils for being such a dominant team in the last 10 years.

BTW...the record was 12-1, you should have known that flatspin :glare: . What was with the booing when they announced that Giguere won the Conn Smythe? I know Brodeur played outstanding as well, and certainly deserved it too, but come on, look at what JS did over the course of the playoffs.

Also, Scott Gomez...4th year...3 Finals...2 Cups. Not a bad start to your career.

......Lord Stanely is also welcome in Minnesota...maybe next year?

What was with the booing when they announced that Giguere won the Conn Smythe? I know Brodeur played outstanding as well, and certainly deserved it too, but come on, look at what JS did over the course of the playoffs.

Without Giguere, it's doubtful the Ducks even get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Don't they bring it to their home towns? In which case it would go to Colorado Springs? On that note... has the cup ever been to North Dakota? It would be sweet to see it in Grand Forks :glare:

Sprig is right, Belfour did bring to the cup to GF for several hours one afternoon after the Stars won it in 1999. They had a big gathering for the public at the Hyslop .

I don't know if any team has won 3 cups in 9 years with 3 different coaches, but the Red Wings have won 3 of the last 8 (or 3 of 9 if you go back to 1996 when New Jersey beat Detroit), but all with Scotty Bowman. Of the last 9, Detroit and New Jersey have won 3 each, Colorado 2 and Dallas 1.

Thanks bison.

To me it's amazing to win consecutive cups or several cups in a narrow time period. But, to do it with three (or four in Montreal's case) different coaches is truely amazing. Different systems, styles, personalities, etc make it quite a change. One needs only to look at the early exits in Detroit & Denver for evidence of the difficulty this poses.

Some background on the Canadiens coaching changes.

Blake retired after the 67-68 season with 8 Stanley Cups.

Canadiens missed the playoffs in 1970.

Ruel was release after 23 games in the 1970-71 season.

MacNeil became interim head coach and won the Cup.

Bowman became head coach in 1971-72, won his first of 9 Cups in 1973.