SiouxSports.com Forum

Different OT Winner?

Zamboni Jabroni

Anyone think we would of played any different if Miami beat BC in OT, and we played them in the Frozen Four? Who knows maybe then we are playing ND in the championship game?

Miami actually should have beaten BC. One of their big guys had the entire right side of the net from ice to crossbar with Muse all tied up, but he simply shovelled it into Muse on the left hand side.

As for what could have been, who knows. Miami was really the only team that played BC close so I'm guessing they would have given your guys all they could handle as well.

Givign BC the credit that they are due, I don't think it would have mattered who our opponent was. Thursday's Sioux team was not, IMO, going to win that day. Versus BC, Miami, or any handful of the contending tournament teams... I think we would have gotten beat.

I'll give BC even more credit and say that it would not have mattered who their opponent was last Thursday. You can say the Sioux played poorly, but the fact of the matter is that BC made the Sioux look bad. It's not like the UND players just went out there and stunk up the joint all by themselves. BC has had our number as of late, and I believe it would have been a much different game at the Frozen Four had BC been eliminated in the regionals. I'm not going to disrespect Miami by saying the Sioux definitely would have defeated them, but I will say that our players wouldn't have started thinking "here we go again" and fallen apart if Miami scored the first goal. I believe it would have been a competitive game that could have gone either way.

I agree. I actually thought we came out and played pretty well for the first 6 to 7 minutes of the game and actually controlled the play and then one poor turnover that lead to a 2 on 1 and its 1-0. I think from that point on it was like here we go again and they never recovered. A different opponent and I don't think they would have responded like that.

After watching all four teams, BC was clearly the best team there. Yes they are fast, but it was far beyond that. The BC players read the situations faster, they reacted faster, and they anticipated passes. To me that was the key. It was like they knew what was coming, and therefore they made the break at the right time and were always in position to get the rebound, intercept the pass, etc. Combining that speed with the other things made them well above the other three teams. They played a wonderful little trap game at the blue line when they were short handed. The Sioux never did figure out how to beat it. Notre Dame did once and almost scored when their player faked the pass into the trap and instead broke down the middle to the net. The one other thing that I noticed is while the other three teams tried to play physical along the boards, BC stayed back and used their outstanding hand, eye, and stick coordination to consistently come away with the puck. They were playing a different game and had the ability to do it.