SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's hockey

jimdahl

OK, no surprise here, but the WCHA unanimously admitted UND's women's hockey program to the conference for the 2004-05 season.

Notice that the WCHA annual meeting was held in Marco Island, FL. What, not Grand Forks or Minneapolis in April? What WCHA office is in Florida? Is this a hint -- will the 'Noles be joining the WCHA soon? I've gotta get myself appointed a WCHA official somehow...

Great to hear for the womens team. Give them a few years and they may start to compete. For and "expansion" team they had a decent year and in a few (5?) they will build a strong program recruiting based on the reputation of the Mens team and the facility.

But there is no way that UND women can compete with the likes of U of M or UMD right now.

But there is no way that UND women can compete with the likes of U of M or UMD right now.

UND lost 13-0 and 5-0 to Minn-Duluth last season. Nobody will expect UND to compete for the league title right away, but they might be capable of an upset of Minn or Minn-Duluth in any given game. The did have wins against Bemidji State and Mankato last year. Hopefully they can avoid last place in the league.

In other news, I see that the women signed a new player to a national letter of intent.

They did have wins against Bemidji State and Mankato last year.

Believe me, a win against the MSU women is nothing to put up on the locker room bulletin board. The MSU women's goalie was pretty good, but she faced so much flying rubber that she didn't have a prayer.

Will the UND women play in the Ralph? The MSU women rarely play in the MWCC.

Congratulations to the women's team for getting a conference this quickly (cough, NDSU, cough) :ohmy:

They should be able to compete in a few years for a conference title and I should hope that they have the same success as the men's team in the WCHA.

What's the info on this Alexia Laplante girl.....she hot? ??? haha...I know, I'm shallow :)

The Women do play at the Ralph... Occasionally they do play on the Olympic Ice sheet if there is some sort of conflict with the main rink. I Think they had 4 games on the big sheet last year and that still seats a couple thousand people on bleachers and what not. The rest of the games are general admit to to main bowl.

The Women do play at the Ralph... Occasionally they do play on the Olympic Ice sheet if there is some sort of conflict with the main rink. I Think they had 4 games on the big sheet last year and that still seats a couple thousand people on bleachers and what not. The rest of the games are general admit to to main bowl.

Hopefully the women's team can play more games in the Ralph and not on the Olympic ice. The Olympic Arena makes me feel like I am watching a high school game. I'd rather see them at the big arena even if it feels empty...

mksioux Posted on May 2 2003, 05:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UND lost 13-0 and 5-0 to Minn-Duluth last season. Nobody will expect UND to compete for the league title right away, but they might be capable of an upset of Minn or Minn-Duluth in any given game. 

I admire you faith in UND, but until Darwitz and Wendell graduate, I don't think UND will beat the Gophers.

This is really awkward to say, but Minnesota has a great womens program, but UMD is the pre-eminent program in the country. If I am correct havent they comlpeted the 3-peat. I know womens hockey is womens hockey but that is really impressive.

Well be contending in the better part of a decade. 7 years should be enought to get a good program to start rolling with a good recruiting base and maybe some big wins.

Time will tell. Its a UND team... How can they be bad for long. :blush:

This is really awkward to say, but Minnesota has a great womens program, but UMD is the pre-eminent program in the country. If I am correct havent they comlpeted the 3-peat. I know womens hockey is womens hockey but that is really impressive.

Well be contending in the better part of a decade. 7 years should be enought to get a good program to start rolling with a good recruiting base and maybe some big wins.

Time will tell. Its a UND team... How can they be bad for long. :blush:

Flatspin brings up a pretty good point. Duluth 3 peated, and Minnesota is the team we don't have a chance against. They play the games for a reason, proof is Anaheim and the Wild. Being that it is a UND team, I agree. We won't be bad for long, and we'll be able to beat anybody, IMO. I am definately no expert on women's hockey. But the Sioux are the Sioux, and I will always cheer for the Sioux.