SiouxSports.com Forum

I love JP Lamoureux, and SO CAN YOU!

Big A HG

OK, so there are only a few weeks left in the season, and the Sioux are having their perennial Hakstol second-half push. This push is mostly thanks to Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, our legit Hobey Baker candidate for 2008. His Friday night game wasn't his best, but to still get the win against the #6 team in the country, plus give up only 1 goal in the Saturday game to finish the sweep, puts Lammy right back near the top.

He has some serious competition though. Kevin Porter (Michigan), Ryan Jones (Miami), and Nathan Gerbe (BC) are having something to say about it.

This weekends results:

Kevin Porter: 0-3-3 (32-25-23-48) STOCK STAYING SAME

Ryan Jones: 3-0-3 (32-27-13-40) STOCK STAYING SAME

Nathan Gerbe: 0-1-1 (29-22-22-44) STOCK DROPPING

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux: 2-0 (.930 (#2), 1.7844 (#1)) STOCK RISING

Ryan Cruthers: 1-1-2 (29-19-25-44) STOCK RISING

INCH Hobey Tracker

HOBEY BAKER VOTING ONLINE

PHIL 4 HOBEY Website

KEVIN PORTER HOBEY Website

GERBE FOR HOBEY Blog

CSTV Hobey Chat

WCH Hobey Blog Entry

Add any thoughts, articles, predictions, photos, or whatever about this years Hobey Baker run! GO PHIL!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the cool pics to put on the website adam!! appreciate those. if anyone has any other cool stuff to add please let me know

phil had a nice bounce back game saturday

he can make the top 3 in denver if we keep this up, i say it will be porter/jones/jpl

go phil and go sioux

i dont put any stock into the fan voting. it counts 1% so its just a ploy to let fans think they can make a difference. in the end the correct 3 will be in denver at the pepsi center!

I know in years past UND has put together "official" packages for the players they are pushing for Hobey. Any idea if they are doing anything for Phil this year?

My guess is he'd have a little work to do yet, but I wouldn't put it past Phil to do what he needs to do. Ryan Duncan was a little ahead of where Phil is now in terms of Hobey respect, and it's that much harder for a goalie. Half of winning the Hobey is advertising, hehe. The better the Sioux do, and the longer their streak lasts, the more Phil's name will be out there. Ryan Duncan was our only consistent scorer in the first half of last year, and was one of the only reason's the Sioux even had a chance to make a second half push, but it wasn't til the Sioux were winning did he get mention. That's why players like Ryan Jones and Kevin Porter are at the top.

Sioux keep winning and everyone else keeps losing = Phil headed to the TOP! :lol:

the cool thing about a goalie and the hobey is that the team success goes hand in hand with a goalie hobey possibility. if you are a forward you can still make the hobey hattrick if your team is soso and barley makes the ncaa tourney. its so hard for a goalie to win the hobey but if the team keeps winning then phil climbs higher and higher on the list. i love that combonation as it really acts as a overall team award..... keep it rolling sioux!

#1 has had a great season and deserves to be nominated for the Hobey award but .........

now that #7 is healthy is there a better player in the country? The obvious answer is NO!

TJ is the best player on the team, but with the lack of depth at the goaltender position you have to ask yourself this question:

If we lost TJ or Phil, which would be more devasting to the team?

Do you think we could make the run with an unproven goalie?

#1 has had a great season and deserves to be nominated for the Hobey award but .........

now that #7 is healthy is there a better player in the country? The obvious answer is NO!

there isnt a question tj is the best player in the country but its a stats award for forwards and tj doesnt have those right now. i agree 110% on tj but unless he goes on a serious 5-6 point per weekend tear it wont happen. phil is a serious contender right now to crack the top 3. like i said earlier. i love when goalies do get in that talk as it almost becomes a TEAM hobey because the goalie can save a team but the team can also help the goalie a lot as well.

TJ is the best player on the team, but with the lack of depth at the goaltender position you have to ask yourself this question:

If we lost TJ or Phil, which would be more devasting to the team?

Do you think we could make the run with an unproven goalie?

i dont even look at it like. its all about stats for the most part and jpl and the team have been great and tj is a part of that as well. hes a friken animal out there on both ends helping phil with others on the hobey talk.

JPL 4 HOBEY

I'm a big homer, but I would give the Hobey to Porter without a doubt... Phil may be the best goalie, but the bar to have a goalie win the Hobey is very high and I don't think JPL is there. Just look at the last DU game. A Hobey keeper gets the shutout. JPL as he has done many times let in a very weak goal. I do hope that JPL can atleast make the final 10 though. If for no other reason just to piss off Gopher fans...

I'm a big homer, but I would give the Hobey to Porter without a doubt... Phil may be the best goalie, but the bar to have a goalie win the Hobey is very high and I don't think JPL is there. Just look at the last DU game. A Hobey keeper gets the shutout. JPL as he has done many times let in a very weak goal. I do hope that JPL can atleast make the final 10 though. If for no other reason just to piss off Gopher fans...

porter is damn good and deserves it as of now. phil also deserves to be in the top 3 as of now with porter and gerbe or jones in my mind. thats a hell of a acomplishment even to get to the hobey hattrick so if he and team keeps winning he will be there!

but he is American born - they (the goph fans that I know anyway) get pissed about Canadien winners. Perhaps it is just another reason for them to be bitter though.

I agree, it's Porters to lose, but it was Hensick's to lose last year too and look who won.

I think Hensick shot himself in the foot in regards to the Hobey, because his unsportmanslike comments to the ref during the regionals last year. I also think Oshie shot himself in the foot with the mix he got into earlier. It is a big stats award, but they also look at character on and off the ice and those things don't bode well for players. I'm sure Phil would gladly surrender the Hobey for a NC! I know I would! :lol:

I think Hensick shot himself in the foot in regards to the Hobey, because his unsportmanslike comments to the ref during the regionals last year. I also think Oshie shot himself in the foot with the mix he got into earlier. It is a big stats award, but they also look at character on and off the ice and those things don't bode well for players. I'm sure Phil would gladly surrender the Hobey for a NC! I know I would! :lol:

of course he would like any other sioux player but hes got the numbers and the team is playing great in front of him so its time for him to get his props ;)

I am not sure a 5 GA weekend results in "Stock Rising" If you are talking 2008, I agree. I think the column that will kill his shot is the national perception of the W-L record. 8-10 losses with the top 1 or 2 defense groups and team in the country on paper coming into the year isn't enough. I would love to see a goalie with the effect he has had on your squad win it. I admit I wasn't a big JPL supporter coming into the year. He has changed my opinion of him tenfold(still hate the flops). I just don't think a down overall WCHA in national perception :lol: and the losses with what was supposed to be a dominant team will cut it. Porter is my guess as well. I thought this would be Oshie's going away at the beginning of the year, shows what I know. Atleast you guys have a couple players to talk about. :lol:

I am not sure a 5 GA weekend results in "Stock Rising" If you are talking 2008, I agree. I think the column that will kill his shot is the national perception of the W-L record. 8-10 losses with the top 1 or 2 defense groups and team in the country on paper coming into the year isn't enough. I would love to see a goalie with the effect he has had on your squad win it. I admit I wasn't a big JPL supporter coming into the year. He has changed my opinion of him tenfold(still hate the flops). I just don't think a down overall WCHA in national perception :lol: and the losses with what was supposed to be a dominant team will cut it. Porter is my guess as well. I thought this would be Oshie's going away at the beginning of the year, shows what I know. Atleast you guys have a couple players to talk about. :lol:

of course a 4 goal game doesnt help but when you come back with another 1 goal game vs a top 6 team that will cancel out that friday game for sure. the bottom line is the win friday i believe. if the sioux dont come back then phils stock drops without a doubt. like i have said before i believe a goalie being in the hobey discussion is a direct reflection of their team overall so its pretty cool and a great compliment to the sioux as a whole.

chad kolarik who has been damn good himself this season is hurt and it may be a few weeks or more beofre he comes back. wonder if this will hurt michigan? im sure they will be fine in the ccha but hes one of their top players

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/

ouch, kolarik out 4-5 weeks

http://blog.mlive.com/wolverines/2008/02/m...e_senior_u.html

I agree, it's Porters to lose, but it was Hensick's to lose last year too and look who won.

There is a huge HUGE different b/t Porter and Hensick, however. Hensick was a major defensive liability so lots of people had questions about his worthiness.

Not only is Porter leading the nation in scoring again, but he also plays GREAT defense and in my opinion is the best two-way player in the game right now. I have been watching him a lot lately and he is often a man amongst boys & can simply take control of a shift & dominate with support from Max & Kolarik.

It will be interesting to see how the loss of Kolarik will affect Porter's output, but I expect Red will move up either Palushaj or Hagelin to the top line. Hagelin has great speed and Palushaj might be Michigan's most talented freshman overall - sick moves, great hands, & good hockey sense. Interesting note: if this happens Porter will be playing on a line with two freshmen, since Max Pacioretty (big guy who plays pretty physical & has a sick shot) has also been playing with Kolarik & Porter on the top line as of late.