SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Nick Mattson!

spfreak

I was trying to compliment your program. From the outside it looks as if you measure yourself against Minnesota in everything. You don't need to do that. You have a tremendous program that doesn't need to out recruit Minnesota for a kid to give it credability. UND stands on its own. The inferiority complex many UND fans seem to have, it doesn't fit your place in College Hockey. With your recent success reaching the Frozen Four, the team and expectations of this year, and recruiting success, I think UND is the measuring stick. Be proud, not obnoxious as some of our fans are and were during our run in early 2000's. Its cyclical, enjoy your current post.

Just clarifying my earlier post. Not trying to judge, our fans are as guilty as any. Rip all you want, it was a compliment.

From most Sioux fans, I see tremendous pride in program that started in a "barn" in the late 40's that is now regarding as a top 5 program by any objective hockey observer.

What I see from most Gopher fans is snobbery and disdain - "How could _______ ever want to go to school up in Grand Forks?"

Like our team, if you take a shot at us, we'll give right back - only harder.

I was trying to compliment your program. From the outside it looks as if you measure yourself against Minnesota in everything. You don't need to do that. You have a tremendous program that doesn't need to out recruit Minnesota for a kid to give it credability. UND stands on its own. The inferiority complex many UND fans seem to have, it doesn't fit your place in College Hockey. With your recent success reaching the Frozen Four, the team and expectations of this year, and recruiting success, I think UND is the measuring stick. Be proud, not obnoxious as some of our fans are and were during our run in early 2000's. Its cyclical, enjoy your current post.

Just clarifying my earlier post. Not trying to judge, our fans are as guilty as any. Rip all you want, it was a compliment.

Thanks good post.

It will be fun to watch the ussual suspect in Mpls spin this, "oh well the Gophers weren't interested in him and he didn't fit their program." I wonder if Solmor and company will go to his house and try to strong arm him.

The one I like the best so far from GPL is:

"With Bickel., Fairchild, Wehrs, Ness, Loftquist, Martell, Helgeson, and Eddy stacked up at D the next three years at the U, maybe it was a decision based on how much icetime he would get as a freshman. If all those boys are still around in 2010 you won't see much time on the PP."

I'm sure young Mr. Mattson sat down and looked over that list of defensemen and said.....there's no way I'll crack that line-up or get any playing time. Then he looked over the Sioux defensive line-up and said......wooh, now there I can get plenty of ice-time and PP time as a freshman. I'm going to pick UND so I'm not the 7th or 8th defensman. :lol:

"With Bickel., Fairchild, Wehrs, Ness, Loftquist, Martell, Helgeson, and LEddy stacked up at D the next three years at the U, maybe it was a decision based on how much icetime he would get as a freshman. If all those boys are still around in 2010 you won't see much time on the PP."

I'm sure young Mr. Mattson sat down and looked over that list of defensemen and said.....there's no way I'll crack that line-up or get any playing time. Then he looked over the Sioux defensive line-up and said......wooh, now there I can get plenty of ice-time and PP time as a freshman. I'm going to pick UND so I'm not the 7th or 8th defensman. :lol:

OK, so I do find that to be a little funny, I think given those 8 names, Mattson would walk into a top pairing...

"With Bickel., Fairchild, Wehrs, Ness, Loftquist, Martell, Helgeson, and Eddy stacked up at D the next three years at the U, maybe it was a decision based on how much icetime he would get as a freshman. If all those boys are still around in 2010 you won't see much time on the PP."

Although one poster on there may have said this, most Gopher fans realize that they offered Mattson pretty much a full ride and was their top recruited defenseman for 2010. Posters like Hammy and some of the other insiders realize this.

• 3 months later...

The Star Tribune series is so, so, so much fun to read!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/16319131.html

With one burden lifted, Nick rid himself of another just days after coming back from Europe. In mid-November, he committed to North Dakota. Although Nick had felt all along that Grand Forks would be the right place, he had vacillated for months. He had dreaded telling the coaches at Minnesota and Wisconsin -- which also had offered him full scholarships -- that he was turning them down.

But he had just come through the most trying period of his young life, and he now felt confident enough to confirm his choice. He called the coaches. He called his parents.

As Nick hung the Fighting Sioux banner over his bed, he could see his future beginning to take shape.

bwahaahahah!!!

BWAAHAHAHAH!!! <-- evil laugh

:angry:

Wow, I knew he was young, but when you see the picture in the article, he really looks young. Good for him.

Early commits aren't necessarily bad, but you often see kids have a change of heart later. Hopefully Nick isn't one of them...

I'm sure young Mr. Mattson sat down and looked over that list of defensemen and said.....there's no way I'll crack that line-up or get any playing time. Then he looked over the Sioux defensive line-up and said......wooh, now there I can get plenty of ice-time and PP time as a freshman. I'm going to pick UND so I'm not the 7th or 8th defensman. :angry:

Are they thinking that the Gophers only recruited scrubs with this batch so none of them will leave early?

Are they thinking that the Gophers only recruited scrubs with this batch so none of them will leave early?

That and Chris Harrington received a special "Sparky Jock Strap Waiver" from the NCAA so he's coming back for a few more years beginning in 2009. :