SiouxSports.com Forum

defensive coordinator(s)

UND92,96

Well, maybe you're right. But who does the responsibility of recruiting fall upon? Lennon, Mannasau, Kelling......? Who was responsible for recruiting the players early this decade when UND put out defenses that only allowed 10 to 15 points per game? Was Bubba responsible for recruiting all the players that implemented his defense all those years? Was Lennon responsible for recruiting all the players that implemented his defense all those years that he was Defensive Coordinator?

My concern about having "co-defensive coordinators" is that Mannasau (who is apparently responsible for the Front 7) and Kelling (who is apparently responsible for the secondary) are each recruiting players and implementing schemes that may not jive with what the other wants to accomplish on the defensive side of the ball or with the abilities of the players each coach is using in said schemes.

My problem is that UND's "vaunted" 3-4 defense was installed over a decade ago by the man who is our current head coach. It was originally designed to stop the run, specifically option/veer offenses. The last two seasons this defense has been torched by the only option/veer offense that it still competes against regularly (UNO), and by USD which likes to throw in some option plays, and then there is GVSU who likes to run the QB as well.

Anyone feel free to point it out if I am incorrect but I am sure that all recruiting is done on geographic basis - one assistant coach handles North Dakota, one handles out state MN, another handle the Cities, one handles WS, etc. It would not make sense (timewise or financially) to have three different coaches in Mpls at the same time recruiting kids for different positions. Obviously, the coordination of who they make offers to is extremely important and is done only after the coaches (especially Coach Lennon) have come to an agreement!

My opinion is that the talent level of our whole defense, espeically the line is not nearly as good as it has been for many years. Hopefully, this is just a temporary situation!

• 2 weeks later...
bump :D

I thought the defense played well yesterday, the exception to that is the continued tackling problems. It's really hard for me to watch a guy run in to make a tackle but then slow down, drop his head, get juked out of his jock, and then try to grab the guy and let him break the arm tackle. I would much rather a guy run in full speed and miss than watch anymore of that crap.

I thought the defense played well yesterday, the exception to that is the continued tackling problems. It's really hard for me to watch a guy run in to make a tackle but then slow down, drop his head, get juked out of his jock, and then try to grab the guy and let him break the arm tackle. I would much rather a guy run in full speed and miss than watch anymore of that crap.

I thought the defense played horrible yesterday, as they've done against every quality offense they've played this year. They made one play all day, the first GV fumble that one of our guys actually forced. Every other turnover was due to carelessness by GV and every drive that was stopped was due to a GV penalty that helped us out. Yes the tackling is extremely frustrating as well. All day yesterday, too, GV receivers were left open, but luckily dropped the ball at opportune times for UND. The regression of this defense over the past two years has been very frustrating.

I thought the defense played horrible yesterday, as they've done against every quality offense they've played this year. They made one play all day, the first GV fumble that one of our guys actually forced. Every other turnover was due to carelessness by GV and every drive that was stopped was due to a GV penalty that helped us out. Yes the tackling is extremely frustrating as well. All day yesterday, too, GV receivers were left open, but luckily dropped the ball at opportune times for UND. The regression of this defense over the past two years has been very frustrating.

GV has a very good run game and our front 7 got ass kicked all day, but even with being pushed around like they were the Sioux defense only gave up 21 points. They limited the big plays better than they have most of the season. GV oline is on par with UNO's and USD's and once again the defense front got manhandled, but normally watching a physical ass kicking like that I would have thought GV would have scored more points. The secondary played very well for most of the game.

I agree, our front 7 did get their asses kicked. With the exception of Bobby Stroup, that has pretty much been the norm lately. Some guys we have are very talented and are underachieving it seems. Very hard to watch as a football fan. Others are lacking in talent, but have played their asses off and overachieved and done what they have been taught by their coaches. It doesn't really look like some of the guys have the fire that it takes to go to GVSU and win in the playoffs. Like I have said in earlier threads, we need new blood in the front 7. Players with a "F you" mentality on the field who have a chip on their shoulder. Guys who play with heart and passion every play like Stroup. Yes he makes stupid plays as well by getting dumb penalties. Hopefully he will mature and grow out of that. You have to admire the way the kid plays the game however.

Offensively, we were very banged up. Chappell and Murray both played, but it was obvious that neither were close to 100%. Freund's play was not what we were used to seeing and then he gets hurt. You still have to make plays however to win a game like that against GV. GVSU made more plays and were opportunistic. Hats off to them. They were the better team yesterday.

Sad to see the NCC and D2 go by the wayside for Sioux Football fans. However, it is also exciting to see what's on the horizon. UND Football has a very bright future ahead of itself. Now it's time to go recruit with 63 scholarships. Should be interesting and fun to watch the staff with more money to spend. I can't wait to see the results.

Great job by the players and coaching staff this season. It was a memorable one. Time to focus on the future and the FCS.

• 10 months later...

I thought I would revive this thread--not to talk about the coordinator situation; but rather because it had some good discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of last year's defense. Through the first half of the 2008 schedule, do people feel like progress has been made compared to last year?

One positive is that we haven't given up the huge rushing numbers so far this year, which was a problem for much of last season. Of course, we probably haven't really played a great running team yet, either.