SiouxSports.com Forum

Scrimmage...

LennonIsTheMan

If anyone that is planning on going to the scrimmage tonight could get back here when it is over to post your thoughts about everything, it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it because I have some family commitments to tend to. I hope to see a lot of different points of view and perspectives since I won't be able to make my own. And hopefully, all of it is positive feedback with no serious injury reports. Thanks in advance. :sad:

Will do... I'm in lake country this week on vacation but I'm making the drive up to GF tonight to check out the scrimmage. I have heard (just generally speaking) that the new freshman class is outstanding. Can't wait to see it first hand.

Does anyone know if they have printed rosters they hand out at the scrimmage? It would be nice to have something to look at with all the names and numbers on it versus trying to remember later who was doing what.

Will do... I'm in lake country this week on vacation but I'm making the drive up to GF tonight to check out the scrimmage. I have heard (just generally speaking) that the new freshman class is outstanding. Can't wait to see it first hand.

Does anyone know if they have printed rosters they hand out at the scrimmage? It would be nice to have something to look at with all the names and numbers on it versus trying to remember later who was doing what.

I believe they have had rosters available for this scrimmage in the past.

Overall, I thought the first team offense and defense looked good. It looked as though the offense got off to a quick start and the defense was stronger as the scrimmage went on.

Just some random notes that I made:

SPECIAL TEAMS:

- #8 Alex Nicholas dropped a kickoff, chased it down and ended up with a pretty good return.

- Field goals seemed to have a lot of trouble kicking into the wind... good thing we play in a dome. #12 Stephen Fashant was having a hard time getting the ball above the cross bar

- They seem to need to work on snaps for punts, one went over the punter's head and many others the defense had a good shot at blocking the punt

OFFENSE:

- #83 David Peterson made a great catch to the seven yard line

- #81 Kellen Leupp made a good third down catch in the two minute drill to get a first down

- Ryan Chappell was not playing

- Weston Dressler had a nice catch for a touchdown in the beginning, didn't seem him playing much except on special teams after that

- The first team offense had ALL DAY to pass the ball, good protection... beyond first team they had very little time

- In the "freshman game" QB #9 Brent Goska had a 45+ yard touchdown run

- Alex Nicholas had great effort... earned yards after the catch/contact

- As far as other QBs, #6 Jake Landry (second team) seemed to have a good arm but be a bit off on his aim.... #14 Andrew Gudmunson looked breakable

DEFENSE:

- #48 Paul German had a "tackle" for a loss.... was against a QB so couldn't actually tackle him

- #28 Brandon Jordan had a very nice breakup of a long pass

- #13 Brett Holinka dropped an interception

- #14 Freshman Kris Ankenbauer had a nice hit

- #20 Rory Manke with an interception during the redzone practice

- total penalties for the scrimmage 3 for offensive holding, and one for defensive false start

I think that's about all I've got... not a whole lot... I've got some pictures... once I put them on my computer I'll see if I can figure out how to upload them here

Overall, I thought the first team offense and defense looked good. It looked as though the offense got off to a quick start and the defense was stronger as the scrimmage went on.

Just some random notes that I made:

SPECIAL TEAMS:

- #8 Alex Nicholas dropped a kickoff, chased it down and ended up with a pretty good return.

- Field goals seemed to have a lot of trouble kicking into the wind... good thing we play in a dome. #12 Stephen Fashant was having a hard time getting the ball above the cross bar

- They seem to need to work on snaps for punts, one went over the punter's head and many others the defense had a good shot at blocking the punt

OFFENSE:

- #83 David Peterson made a great catch to the seven yard line

- #81 Kellen Leupp made a good third down catch in the two minute drill to get a first down

- Ryan Chappell was not playing

- Weston Dressler had a nice catch for a touchdown in the beginning, didn't seem him playing much except on special teams after that

- The first team offense had ALL DAY to pass the ball, good protection... beyond first team they had very little time

- In the "freshman game" QB #9 Brent Goska had a 45+ yard touchdown run

- Alex Nicholas had great effort... earned yards after the catch/contact

- As far as other QBs, #6 Jake Landry (second team) seemed to have a good arm but be a bit off on his aim.... #14 Andrew Gudmunson looked breakable

DEFENSE:

- #48 Paul German had a "tackle" for a loss.... was against a QB so couldn't actually tackle him

- #28 Brandon Jordan had a very nice breakup of a long pass

- #13 Brett Holinka dropped an interception

- #14 Freshman Kris Ankenbauer had a nice hit

- #20 Rory Manke with an interception during the redzone practice

- total penalties for the scrimmage 3 for offensive holding, and one for defensive false start

I think that's about all I've got... not a whole lot... I've got some pictures... once I put them on my computer I'll see if I can figure out how to upload them here

WiSioux,

Wow, great detail and description. Thank you very much for the insight from the scrimmage. Sounds like the first team o-line should be tough. That was sort of expected on paper. I wouldn't expect Chappell and Dressler to be playing much. Nothing but injury could come from it. Speaking of injuries, anything significant? Anybody else have any other things to talk about from the scrimmage?

#77 Brian Troen was limping off the field early on, to be honest I didn't pay much attention to if he played again, but it didn't look serious at all. Other than that no injuries. A few players stretching on the sidelines so maybe some cramps, but nothing to note.

At the end of the game they were doing some kicking drills.... Hellevang made his first one, missed his second, missed his third (?), and then Coach Lennon encouraged the rest of the boys to start cheering, the announcer did the same thing for the fans and Hellevang made the kick.... I believe the final two were about 50 yards... each before that about ten yards closer.

The new running back #27 is a stud. When Chappel is out they wont miss a beat with this kid in there.

Wow,

Thats good to hear. I just checked the roster and #27 is listed as true freshman Josh Murray from Wisconsin. Good to know that the freshman class has some studs in it. Future looks bright for the Sioux. Was he running with the young guys, or with the 1's and 2's?

How did that Daggett kid looked, I saw him run track and he is a monster athlete, unbelievable size and quickness, and he is physically built to play. I think he could suprise this year or be a stud in the years to come. Anyone who was at the scrimmage got any report on how all the freshmen looked?

I thought Freund looked OK at best... he wasn't very accurate with his throws and made a couple of very poor reads. The coaches though are very confident in him which leads me to believe it must have been an off night and he will play better.

Landry was the #2 QB and he has a gun for an arm... very impressive. I think he has a bright future with a little more experience.

The freshman QB Goska has great speed as shown on the long TD run. According to the coaches, he is a raw talent and they need to work with him on his throwing mechanics but he is a winner and of course you can't teach speed.

I agree with the poster that said Josh Murray was impressive at RB... he's pretty elusive.

Starting O-line looked good. Chris Mussman told me that he feels great about 4 of the 5 spots on the line so that is good news.

Alex Nicholas looks like he's ready to contribute at receiver... he made a few nice plays.

Defense was missing at least two starters so it was tougher to get a read on them. I think the secondary and outside linebackers are in good shape but I don't know how the depth will be on the line and the inside linebacker spots.

German and Kasowski look like a couple of good young linebackers but they are just redshirt freshman so i don't know what kind of impact they will have this year.

Kicking game was pretty weak because the ball kept getting buried in the grass on the holds... Hellevang did hit a 50+ yarder at the end though.

Ankenbauer and #31 and #36 on the corners look like a trio of good freshman DB's. Very athletic.

I had a couple of different people tell me that Chappel has been phenomenal in practice so far this fall. If the line can stay healthy he could put up huge numbers this year.

Sioux well-armed at QB

His arm strength is unquestioned.

In fact, Jake Landry - now the No. 2 quarterback on the UND fall depth chart - may have one of the strongest arms in the history of the program.

But there is a lot more to playing quarterback than arm strength. And that's what Landry is beginning to understand as the former Grand Forks Central standout assumes a critical role for the Sioux, who begin their normal game week preparations today for Thursday's opener against Humboldt (Calif.) State.

Landry received his first true test during the team's annual scrimmage at East Grand Forks Senior High Field last week. He passed the test, displaying solid arm strength along with the ability to recognize and hit receivers on shorter routes.

• 1 month later...