SiouxSports.com Forum

Beasley named dII player of the year

UND92,96

With all the awards Beasley has won, his high scoring average etc. How would UND fans rank him with the all time Sioux basketball players. Is he at the same level as Phil Jackson, higher or lower or about the same. Who had the most impact on UND basketball at the time they played?

While it is difficult to compare players from different eras, there is no question that Jerome is much more athletic than Phil ever was.

However, Phil had much more of an impact on the program than did Jerome. Primarily because he was a ND kid who fans had followed through high school and the recruiting process. Plus, his UND teams experienced much more success than have the teams of the last two years: finishing high in the NCAA tourney and beating some DI teams.

I wasn't born yet when Jackson played, but based on what my dad has told me, those were some really outstanding teams. Back to back semi-final appearances (college division) and a third-place finish in 64-65. Phil had quite a supporting cast, as those teams had four all-NCC players for two years in a row. Jackson was actually only the third-leading scorer on the 64-65 team as a sophomore. UND even beat DePaul in one of those years.

Beasley is unquestionably the most talented basketball player ever at UND, particularly offensively. It is unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond his control, i.e. Lollar's disinterest in attending classes and Allen's ineligibility, he didn't have the supporting cast which would have enabled UND to potentially do something in the tournament this year comparable to what the Jackson teams did.

Beasley's position in the draft will depend on how many underclassmen declare. I could see the Lakers picking him. Some of their role players are getting old. Rick Rickert is pretty far down on the list of underclassmen. If all of them declare and the draft goes in order, Rickert could end up with the Timberwolves.