SiouxSports.com Forum

Q & A with Derrick LaPoint

WiSioux

From Brad's Blog

Q. What are your expectations for this upcoming season?

DERRICK LAPOINT: I want to play right away. I don't want to come in and be an average player. I want to be someone who makes a difference. That's what coach (Dave) Hakstol wanted from me when I first met him and that's what I want to be for him. I want to put some points on the board and I want to help us win a national championship. That's what all of us are here for. I understand that's the goal of the team and that's what is No. 1 in my mind.

Q. Rumor is that you played 50 minutes, 30 seconds of a 51-minute game in high school. Is that true or is that an urban legend?

DERRICK LAPOINT: It is true. My senior year, we made it down to the state tournament and we played a private school from Milwaukee. I played all but about 30 seconds of that game. My senior year was kind of a reflection of that. I probably sat for an average of maybe 1:30 per game.

I like this kid already... but that might be due to the fact that he's from Wisconsin :)

Don't know the guy, but that appears to be Lee's personality. If he didn't enjoy UND, then he didn't enjoy Moorhead or the US Juniors either, because he seemed to have the same demeanor playing for those two teams.