• C.A. "Jack" West
    • Dale Lennon
    • Jerry Olson
    • Marv Helling
    • John Sweetland
    • Pat Behrns
    • Gene Murphy

Just trying to pass the time until the spring game! :D

I'd imagine that Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon are gonna dominate this poll, and rightfully so. After all, RT restored a floundering program to greatness, and Dale brought us home the national championship. But I'm actually gonna go with Jerry Olson. I feel that the 70's were the glory years of Sioux football. He won alot of games, including bowl games, and did it against some pretty stiff competition like Montana, Montana St., Northern Iowa, UNLV, Cal Poly, and others.

But I'm actually gonna go with Jerry Olson. I feel that the 70's were the glory years of Sioux football. He won alot of games, including bowl games, and did it against some pretty stiff competition like Montana, Montana St., Northern Iowa, UNLV, Cal Poly, and others.

I have a 1972 Program from the Camelia Bowl, I think it's UND vs Cal Poly. Did the Sioux win that game? I remember watching it on TV when I was very very young. :D

I have a 1972 Program from the Camelia Bowl, I think it's UND vs Cal Poly. Did the Sioux win that game? I remember watching it on TV when I was very very young. :D

UND won. Set a new record for points scored. Sioux won 38-21. It was 30 below zero when we left GF and got up into the 40's in Sacramento, froze the pipes in part of the motel at night and I believe set new record lows. Good N.Dak weather for Dec. . They were freezing and we practiced in shirtsleeves.

UND won. Set a new record for points scored. Sioux won 38-21. It was 30 below zero when we left GF and got up into the 40's in Sacramento, froze the pipes in part of the motel at night and I believe set new record lows. Good N.Dak weather for Dec. . They were freezing and we practiced in shirtsleeves.

Oh yeah and Dale Lennon, Murphy, West, Helling then Olson. Dale has accomplished more, Murphy left too soon, Olson faded at the end. West played all over the country against some awfully good teams (including Army) back when they didn't distinguish D1 vs D1AA or D2. Helling went to multiple bowl games then moved on. Olson turned the program around when it wass down and went to two Bowl games but the program suffered his last few years, then Murphy revived it but left too soon. Murphy never lost to the AC and I don't think they would have had their run in the 1980's ahd he stayed. He was a hell of a recriuter and offensive FB mind. Don't forget Frank Zazula. He was quite an inovator and had some very good teams in the 1950's but didn't hav ethe success of these other guys.

I glad you play inside now. My dad was at that game and said he froze and the fans and players from UND seem to enjoyed it. I am looking forward to our first visit to the Alerus Center.

Let's not forget that in the fall of '74 Jerry Olson took his Sioux team into Memorial Stadium to play the Gophers and early on the Sioux held a 10-0 lead. Midway through the 3rd quarter Minn led 28-24 and eventually beat the Sioux 42-30. That Gopher team was led by Tony Dungy and Rick Upchurch. UND had Brian Grover at QB and Bill Deutch and Dale Kasowski as running backs. We were completely one dementional as Grover was a converted tail back and could not throw a lick.

DG

Let's not forget that in the fall of '74 Jerry Olson took his Sioux team into Memorial Stadium to play the Gophers and early on the Sioux held a 10-0 lead. Midway through the 3rd quarter Minn led 28-24 and eventually beat the Sioux 42-30. That Gopher team was led by Tony Dungy and Rick Upchurch. UND had Brian Grover at QB and Bill Deutch and Dale Kasowski as running backs. We were completely one dementional as Grover was a converted tail back and could not throw a lick.

DG

Both Grover and Kasowski now have ties to the current Sioux Football Team, Brian Grover is Blair Grover's Dad and Dale Kasowski is Ryan Kasowski's Uncle....

Also on that team was Mike Compton from grand Forks, it was a great picture of him trying to tackle Tony Dungy in our media guides for years....

Your right Murphy, Frank Zazula was a Great one, he coached just about everything, also the Host couple at my Wedding.

Just a note on Roger Thomas, without Roger I do not think Dale would be the Coach he is today. Dale played for Beherns, but Roger help him along his coaching path.

Great point about Roger Thomas, which is the reason why I voted for him.

Re: Mike Compton, wasn't there another Compton from GF who played football for the Sioux? I'm thinking of a defensive back from the early '80s, can't remember his first name.

Jeff. He was bigger than Mike. Both heavy hitters. I think Jeff also had a stint with the CFL.