SiouxSports.com Forum

Breaking News - Denver Regional

mujack

Talking Sioux strategy, you've got some good thoughts. Very good thoughts. I think the other thing the Sioux should focus on is keeping the puck deep in the zone. The Gophers don't defend well around the goal line, however, they clearly clogged the Sioux up on the blue line. As much as I hate it, dump and chase might be a good tactic. While the Gophers beat you to the pucks all game long, the Sioux does have the size and speed to compete in the corners. Take it low, cycle it around and quick onetime passes to the front of the crease are Gopher killers.

i like dumping it deep as well, more so when frazee is in net as he seems to want to play the puck at odd times and sometimes gets out of position, ex = 2 seconds left in regulation i believe, michigan is 1st, then hopefully the gophers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I put on another post, jersey shaking is the most classless thing a player can do no matter what team your on. I dont recall the last time ive seen a sioux player do this :angry: someone help me out. The only thing is a few sioux fans may jersey shake because they have yet to find out that this is 100% classless on behalf of the school itself. If you want to show some class and represent your school at the same time, get a flag or a sign from a 'true fan' in the stands and skate around the rink with all your teammates or something... :silly:

To help you out, Chorney did the Jersey Pop last year in a game against the Gophers.

To help you out, Chorney did the Jersey Pop last year in a game against the Gophers.

i think everyone knows this, BREAKING NEWS, irmen did it then chorney, i say we feed both to some rabid dogs for this and never let them lace the skates up again :huh:

It was in answer to what irmen did at The Ralph I am quite sure Taylor otherwise would not have done it !

You haven't seen a UND player do it since and I for one hope we never do.

I did not notice a change in tactic, only better execution by the players in the SCSU game.

Breaking out is a lot about timing. The player who starts the breakout can't get too hurried, and sometimes its hard to do when you see one of your top scorers open on an outlet pretty far up the ice. You want to get the puck up to him as fast as you can, but that might not be the best way out. I see a lot of rushed passes end up off target or telegraphed to the forechecker.

Secondly, the forwards need to get into position to receive the puck where they can do something with it. Taking the puck while trying to evade a forechecker and looking at your own net is very dangerous. They need their feet moving and they need to be moving in the right direction. THat is one of the big reasons why I said that they need to get lower to start, that gives them more ice moving forward. Also, the passer needs to recognize this and maybe go a different direction.

Lastly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with holding the puck, shaking a defender, and regrouping before breaking out

A friend who has watched even less hockey than I had this question for me after watching Saturday's game on TV. He said that the Sioux would often break into the Gopher zone right down the middle, but the Gophers would take the puck wide as they entered the Sioux zone. However, he thought in the 3rd period the Gophers would take it straight up the middle. His question to me was whether this was by design, and if so why? Naturally I could only guess at the answer. Did anyone else notice this?

I didn't notice it, but I would think that it was not by design, but by taking what was given. I am not Don Cherry, however, and do not profess to be.

You are often taught to look for the lead man on offense, and clearly on defense you don't ever want anyone behind you. You also need to challenge the puck carrier when evenly matched. When out numbered, you play the pass and let the goalie get a good look at the shooter.

So, if a forechecker is going after the puck carrier in the middle of the rink and the defensemen are covering the two wings, if that puck carrier gets around the forechecker, then depending on what the defense does, either steps up to challenge him, in which case you pass to the open wing, or he stays and plays the pass between the two forwards in which case you would go straight ahead. Your entrance to the offensive zone is usually dictated by the defense.

That being said, however, some teams load one of the wings in order to "pick" and create space for the trailer. The constant forechecking and backchecking in the game on Saturday makes me think that it was just going to wherever there was open ice. I could be wrong though.

Another good explanation is simply the position of the player leading the puck into the zone. A wing is going to stay on his side of the ice 95% of the time. A center will take the puck wherever.

i think everyone knows this, BREAKING NEWS, irmen did it then chorney, i say we feed both to some rabid dogs for this and never let them lace the skates up again :silly:

Exactly. Chorney was a freshman who didn't know better. Furthermore, he at least has a great NHL career ahead of him. Irmen on the other hand ..........