SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Refs

mujack

Went to the Saturday UMD game. THought the refs sat on their whistle ALOT.

Didn't see the sioux get frustrated and take any retaliation minors, which shows they were playing with some discipline.

Here's the question, as the WCHA refs "Let 'em Play" will the WCHA teams suffer when they get a HEast or CCHA official in the playoffs?

Why can't the officials call a penalty when it's obvious? I just don't get it.

Went to the Saturday UMD game. THought the refs sat on their whistle ALOT.

Didn't see the sioux get frustrated and take any retaliation minors, which shows they were playing with some discipline.

Here's the question, as the WCHA refs "Let 'em Play" will the WCHA teams suffer when they get a HEast or CCHA official in the playoffs?

Why can't the officials call a penalty when it's obvious? I just don't get it.

Um yeah. It goes both ways. You guys got away with PLENTY too.

for the most part it seems we get on officials for calling everything and that slows the game down a lot. i have no problem when the refs dont call many penalties unless its very obvious of course. i would much rather see a free flowing wcha game rather that a whistle being blown every 2 minutes. its a double edged sword really. call to many and we complain, call just a few and its the same. not a easy job but the wcha does have a crop of crappy azz refs starting with that fool don adam and a few to follow. i say let them play and the zebras can stay off TV

and sorry but i do not see the wcha refs as let em play refs by any means. maybe compared to other conferences but i dont buy that.

and the better team will prevail in the ncaa playoffs no matter who refs the games and that will be a wcha team as well ;) at least they have the last 6 of 7 seasons :D damn you krys kalanos ;)

Um yeah. It goes both ways. You guys got away with PLENTY too.

Yes UND got away with alot, just like any other week. But the system UMD has in place is all cluth and grab, by defintion that trap is supposed to be like that. You dont see that trap in the NHL anymore because the new penalty guidelines dont allow it. Id like that to carry over to the college game, but i dont see that happening for a while. The bad part about it is that when CHA teams head out east the reffing is much more noticable because the refs use their whistles and call things. I wish the WCHA would get control of it, but reffing a WCHA game has to be one of the more difficult jobs out there

Yes UND got away with alot, just like any other week. But the system UMD has in place is all cluth and grab, by defintion that trap is supposed to be like that. You dont see that trap in the NHL anymore because the new penalty guidelines dont allow it. Id like that to carry over to the college game, but i dont see that happening for a while. The bad part about it is that when CHA teams head out east the reffing is much more noticable because the refs use their whistles and call things. I wish the WCHA would get control of it, but reffing a WCHA game has to be one of the more difficult jobs out there

My god.

Ok first of all, the Wild play the trap. The Canucks (ugh) play the trap. The trap still exists in the NHL.

Second of all, UMD has plenty of speed. They have skilled defensemen. They have actual talent.

Third of all, the Sioux play clutch and grab too. They hung all over Mason Raymond and I don't think Mase drew a single penalty this weekend. When Sharp scored, it should have been on a delayed penalty, as Finley was in the corner cuddling one of our players. I couldn't see which one because of course Finley is gigantic. I think there were a lot of people who needed to knock off the whining about UMD's play this weekend. I think most people were just upset because they expected the Sioux to blow UMD out. I would have been around last night defending the Dogs, but I was in bed with the flu, computer blaring the game in the other room. The games are over, so this is the last post I'll make on this subject, but the amount of crying about how cheap UMD was/how much we got away with/how the Sioux never do anything wrong was probably what was making me barf last night.

I will say, your post is a lot more rational than most people's. Sioux hab-it, looking in your direction... ;)

umd played a style has worked to their advantage this weekend for sure. they trapped and it helped to get them 1 point and kept both games very very close. i had no problem with the refs at all. let them play. raymond is a player but didnt get 1 point this last weekend. sioux played great d with a shutout. umd will be tough in the 1st round. hopefully you get the gophs and play them hard.

I think RWD is right as well as another poster that said that both teams could have spent a ton of time in the Penatly box. I would be willing to be that if the Bull Dogs play the Gophersthey will not be able to play that type of game against the Gophers. Donny Lucia will blow a gasket if his team has to play that type of game. Just a perdiction. I did see Toews and Oshie getting frustrated with the amount of obstruction what was going on saturday night. It wasn't as bad on Friday night. Our team is going to learn how to play without all off the obstruction too.

If Champion had been officating this game it would have been a parade to the box, for both side. My buddies that I sit with agreed with that assessment as well. I actually like special teams aspects of hockey. I think the WCHA is going to be in trouble when we get refs from The EZAC and Hockey East who call the game more like it should be called.

As for the Wild they play a defensive system and they also get called for a lot of stupid penalties. I was ready to throw my TV through the front window after the game tonight.

My assessment of Hunt is that he is not one of the WCHA best officials. I like the guy we had during the UAA series.

I wish we could get him again. I thought Sheppard did an ok job last time we reffed for us. I don't want to see Champion or Hunt again.

I think RWD is right as well as another poster that said that both teams could have spent a ton of time in the Penatly box. I would be willing to be that if the Bull Dogs play the Gophersthey will not be able to play that type of game against the Gophers. Donny Lucia will blow a gasket if his team has to play that type of game. Just a perdiction. I did see Toews and Oshie getting frustrated with the amount of obstruction what was going on saturday night. It wasn't as bad on Friday night. Our team is going to learn how to play without all off the obstruction too.

If Champion had been officating this game it would have been a parade to the box, for both side. My buddies that I sit with agreed with that assessment as well. I actually like special teams aspects of hockey. I think the WCHA is going to be in trouble when we get refs from The EZAC and Hockey East who call the game more like it should be called.

As for the Wild they play a defensive system and they also get called for a lot of stupid penalties. I was ready to throw my TV through the front window after the game tonight.

My assessment of Hunt is that he is not one of the WCHA best officials. I like the guy we had during the UAA series.

I wish we could get him again. I thought Sheppard did an ok job last time we reffed for us. I don't want to see Champion or Hunt again.

One reason the a "trap" style of defense usually doesn't work against the Gophers is because of the larger ice sheet. The same goes for almost any team on an Olympic size ice sheet. I wish the NHL would adopt the Olympic size ice for the same reason.

Based on recent years results, I would contend the WCHA's pro-obstruction refereeing has not hurt the Western Teams in th playoffs in any way.

I think the inconsistancy is a bit of a problem, but they have been able to over come it.

One reason the a "trap" style of defense usually doesn't work against the Gophers is because of the larger ice sheet. The same goes for almost any team on an Olympic size ice sheet. I wish the NHL would adopt the Olympic size ice for the same reason.

I can think of about $300 million x 30 reasons why that can't happen...

You missed my joke, the premise is that UMN will not have a game that was officiated like the UND series was this past weekend. The minute an opposing players breaths on a gopher player there will be a power play. Marko Hunt will not be the offical for the Gophers in the first round. They will get Sheppard or Champion for their home series.

You missed my joke, the premise is that UMN will not have a game that was officiated like the UND series was this past weekend. The minute an opposing players breaths on a gopher player there will be a power play. Marko Hunt will not be the offical for the Gophers in the first round. They will get Sheppard or Champion for their home series.

Gotcha!!!!

I think WCHA fans would see a free flowing game if the fans quit having conniptions about the infractions being called until such time as the teams finally adjust. Add to that a commitment from the league to carry through with the idea, and finally a commitment to get better refs in general.

THEN, I think we would see a free flowing game that satisfies everyone. Until then I think we'll be arguing "more taste/less filling" ad nauseum.

1. The trap has nothing to do with clutching and grabbing. Your team can clutch and grab and not run the trap. The trap is a delayed forecheck tactic that can be used effectively without clutching and grabbing.

2. From what I have read/been told, the trap was first used in Europe, mainly by the Czechs, to counteract the Soviet"weaving" style of offense during the 70's, which of course was played on Olympic ice. If you are a less skilled team, the trap would be needed more on a big ice sheet rather than an NHL rink.

UMD Coaching 101 Handbook..

#1) We suck....so hold, trip , hook, clutch , grab all game long and hope for a couple ugly goals.

#2) We suck....so hold, trip , hook, clutch , grab all game long and hope for a couple ugly goals.

#3) We suck....so hold, trip , hook, clutch , grab all game long and hope for a couple ugly goals.

#4) Refer to #1-3

The only thing I really want in officiating is consistency. I told my friends on Saturday that I didn't mind that Hunt put his whistle away, especially in the 3rd period, because he was consistent in letting it go both ways. The thing that bothers me is the type of officiating that went on in Minneapolis a month ago. Call it both ways and I'm good.

I think WCHA fans would see a free flowing game if the fans quit having conniptions about the infractions being called until such time as the teams finally adjust. Add to that a commitment from the league to carry through with the idea, and finally a commitment to get better refs in general.

THEN, I think we would see a free flowing game that satisfies everyone. Until then I think we'll be arguing "more taste/less filling" ad nauseum.

I'd agree, although I hated the games a couple years ago when every ticky tack thing was called. The players did adjust, and, much like the NHL, the WCHA games were better for a short time. Unfortunately, the league has come full circle and the holding and outright tackling that can even up games is now allowed, and, the league will be starting from scratch if they decide to go by the rules, once again.

The top players will have more freedom in the NHL than they now do in the WCHA.

At any rate, the let em play attitude of WCHA referees may serve the Sioux well when they go to Denver, they've had some good experience (UAA, Mankato, Wisco, and MTU, especially) in what they'll see at Denver, who are back very close to the tackling team they had three years ago. A one-sided Campion display could decide the series, if that were to happen.