SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Matt

It has no bearing on it. Its an individual award.

True enough, but unless the numbers are overwhelming, bad teams rarely get the attentioned required to help the individual's case. The Sioux are far from bad, but I'd like a larger media hit to help market him.

True enough, but unless the numbers are overwhelming, bad teams rarely get the attentioned required to help the individual's case. The Sioux are far from bad, but I'd like a larger media hit to help market him.

Panzer was robbed.

I agree. A team doesn't have to make it to the Frozen Four to win the award, but the early rounds of the NCAA Playoffs definitely help solidify voter's choices for the award.

Duncan doesn't have a prayer this year, he might not even be a finalist. His senior year though he'll win it.

I agree. If Panzer couldn't win the Hobey with the numbers he put up, I'm doubting Duncan will win it with his.

I'm sure this year's stats will put him on next year's ballot though.

Duncan doesn't have a prayer this year, he might not even be a finalist. His senior year though he'll win it.

i disagree and agree. i think that duncan has the chance points wise and his personality is one of the very best in college hockey. i think he has a good chance to be a finalist, but i think the odds a bit against him to win it this year....hes only a sophmore

I agree. If Panzer couldn't win the Hobey with the numbers he put up, I'm doubting Duncan will win it with his.

I'm sure this year's stats will put him on next year's ballot though.

he will be on the ballot this year when the coaches pick, he may even end up a finalist if he keeps up with a couple points per game. i dont think he will win it. toews points per game are pretty damn good but he missed to many games.

In Toews' case winning a 2nd WJT and being a captain looks pretty good, though if a UND player deserves consideration right now it should be Duncan. That said, as the Panzer-robbing taught us, you have to set the NCAA scoring record to win the Hobey Baker at UND... :ohmy:

Lead the WCHA in scoring, keep your nose clean :ohmy: and you have to get some consideration ...

keep your nose clean? interesting

bottom line for hobey = great STATS and sometimes that wont get it, WILL THE REAL HOBEY BAKER PLEASE STAND UP, yeah jeff thats you, stand up ???

I posted this on USCHO. The long and the short of it is that Duncan should be a top ten Hobey finalist, but is doubtful to make the Hobey Hat Trick. Read on....

It seems like an interesting year for the Hobey race. It's very difficult to compare scoring leaders and goaltenders from different leagues without seeing them play every weekend. I wonder how much team success is or should be a factor in the Hobey Baker selection process. In other words, should players on winning teams who have played against difficult competition(sorted by RPI, for example) be given more consideration? With that in mind, here are the players from the top 10 teams in the RPI:

1. Minnesota: F Kyle Okposo (17-17-34) and D Alex Goligoski (9-23-32) have been talked up the most, although F Jay Bariball has 15-18-33; I think G Kellen Briggs (13-4-2 2.08 .920) and G Jeff Frazee (12-1-1 2.08 .913) split time too much for either to make the top ten, but the numbers for each are very good.

2. New Hampshire: G Kevin Regan (20-5-2 2.02 .934) is the top candidate here; F Trevor Smith (19-19-38) has an outside shot.

3. Notre Dame: G David Brown (24-4-3 1.66 .929) is the top candidate for the Irish; no one is talking about Erik Condra (13-26-39).

4. St. Cloud State: F Andreas Nodl (15-25-40) and F Andrew Gordon (19-20-39) are both in the running; G Bobby Goepfert (13-6-6 2.12 .929) has solid numbers but is probably on the outside looking in.

5: Clarkson: Lots of 30 point forwards here, with Nick Dodge (16-19-35) leading the pack; G David Leggio (19-5-5 2.19 .928) is a possibility.

6: Boston University: G John Curry (14-5-8 1.81 .936) has the stats to make the top ten; no forwards at the thirty point mark, although MacArthur and Higgins should get to 30.

7. Denver: F Brock Trotter (15-21-36) is the top candidate here; G Peter Mannino (8-4-1 2.00 .929) and Glenn Fisher (12-7-2 2.27 .922) won't get there.

8. North Dakota: F Ryan Duncan (24-19-43) should make it; F T.J. Oshie (10-23-33) and F Jonathan Toews (11-21-32) have the hype but not the numbers; G Phillipe Lamoureux (14-9-3 2.39 .907) won't be there.

9. Michigan: Is there room for F T.J. Hensick (16-37-53), F Kevin Porter (18-31-49), AND F Andrew Cogliano (20-21-41)? Probably not. Hensick and Porter are in. G Billy Sauer (21-11-1 2.93 .901) isn't a consideration.

10. Maine: F Josh Soares (18-17-35) and F Teddy Purcell (14-21-35) are close but not quite; G Ben Bishop (17-8-2 2.25 .918) is in the same boat.

Here's my list from those ten schools:

MN D Alex Goligoski (9-23-32)

SCSU F Andrew Gordon (19-20-39)

UND F Ryan Duncan (24-19-43)

UM F T.J. Hensick (16-37-53)

UM F Kevin Porter (18-31-49)

UNH G Kevin Regan (20-5-2 2.02 .934)

ND G David Brown (24-4-3 1.66 .929)

BU G John Curry (14-5-8 1.81 .936)

Note that I'm not suggesting that all of the 10 finalists come from the top ten teams in the RPI, just that most of them should and probably will. So I've got a couple of spots left for players like AFA F Eric Ehn (22-33-55), UNO F Scott Parse (23-27-50), or Miami F Nathan Davis (19-27-46). I will go with Ehn and Parse, based on points. Not sure what I would do with LSSU G Jeff Jakaitis (11-11-3 2.12 .938). I don't think I can add him to my list, despite leading the nation in save pct.

So, here's my list:

Duncan

Ehn

Goligoski

Gordon

Hensick

Parse

Porter

Brown

Curry

Regan

Sorry about the long post. Discuss.

Sioux18

I agree with whomever said Duncan will basically have to rewrite the record books. That really is what is going to have to happen this year. He'll have to finish the year leading the NCAAs in goals, assists, points, PP goals, +/- (not that this is a consideration, but why not?), saving lives of babies and ending poverty in Grand Forks (off ice contributions), and score the winning goals in every game up until selection.

Hobey Hensick if you ask me.

Brown from Notre Dame and Kevin Porter have an outside shot. They'll probably round out the final 3.

Curry misses the final cut.