SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Porter

UNDintheNHL

Porter's future role  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What will his role be in the future?

• 1st Line NHL Forward
    • 2nd Line NHL Forward
    • 3rd Line NHL Forward
    • 4th Line NHL Forward
    • Up and Downer NHL-AHL
    • Career AHLer
    • other

I really hope to see Porter with an opportunity after college hockey. I sure hope he is able to make it as an undrafted free agent, but I expect he will probably bounce up and down between the AHL and NHL.

He's already been drafted by Chicago: 9th round (282nd overall), 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCM, I stand corrected. I do see that Porter indeed is already drafted. I really hope he gets an opportunity in the NHL, but it'll be a tough show for him.

As I recall, he had a pretty good camp with the Blackhawks last summer. They seemed to be impressed with him.

If that is true, then maybe Porter will be a solid NHL power forward with his work ethic and grinding muck-it-out style game. If so, great for Porter. He's one of my all-time favorites, I love his hard work and leadership.

the NHL isn't a "muck-it-out" style game. I predict a short and mediocre at best AHL career for Porter but with a national championship to reflect upon later in life. :D

It's hard to say how his game will translate to the professional game. Someone like Panzer would have had to be a top 2 line guy in the NHL which is not easy. Porter, who I believe is the fastest skater on the team, could potentially be a 3-4 line guy with grit, enough speed, and defensive presence in the NHL. He wouldn't be asked to put up big numbers but to fill a roll.

My guess would be a career AHL player, but time will tell.

I know I've talked about leadership and his skill sets, but one thing people haven't mentioned much is his work ethic. He may not score as much as some would like, but he works darn hard when he is on the ice. It gets overlooked because he's nowhere near as dynamic as Oshie.

Strong....fast...hard-working....yes, but does that necessarily translate to hockey? I don't think so....I mean someone can be extremely fast and really strong..but does that automatically mean that they have touch around the net or the ability to thread peas through 3 skates, a shaft, and a blade? I don't think "The Iron Man" will make it to the NHL for more than 300 games...thoughts?

Strong....fast...hard-working....yes, but does that necessarily translate to hockey? I don't think so....I mean someone can be extremely fast and really strong..but does that automatically mean that they have touch around the net or the ability to thread peas through 3 skates, a shaft, and a blade? I don't think "The Iron Man" will make it to the NHL for more than 300 games...thoughts?

A lot of players in the NHL are not able to make those types of passes. They're called role players, which if he does make it in the NHL, is exactly what Porter will be. I personally think Chris could be great on an NHL checking line because of his work ethic. These are players who take pride in shutting down the top lines in the NHL, but do not register a lot of goals themselves. Not saying Chris will make it in the NHL, but I do think he has the potential for a lengthy career. Won't ever be a regular on the highlight reels, but could be very vital to his team.

Porter kind of reminds me of Brad Defauw. Big, strong, hustle, but not necessarily a ton of points. The only difference being that Defauw somehow found his way into being drafted first round (not his fault). Porter is what he is, a solid to good college player that probably will find a spot in the AHL

Yeah i agree with you except for hes the exact opposite of brad defauw. Anywho, I check in here once in a while and i decided that it was my time to share a loyal sioux voice. The fact that someone started this thread is nonsense. I know you all wish Chris the best in his future endeavors but the fact that remains is that he is still shooting for a national championship to finish off a rather subpar career with this years squad. I agree with most posters on here that he has blistering speed down the wing and the shot quickness that would make a skeet pigeon shooter jealous, but where do we go from there? The loops around the offensive zone and the constant self-destructiveness of when he doesnt make a play is almost nauseating and shows a severe lack of leadership which you are all praising him for just because he wears a "C" on his jersey. Its not much but chevyblaiser may have a point in regards to what people will recall when the name chris porter is brought up 5 years down the road. Not saying that i dont wish him the best but i felt like a line had to be drawn. Toodles

The Red Baron

Oh please don't get me wrong. By posting this thread/poll I was not in any way trying to belittle his endeavors left here @ UND. I was merely interested in people's opinions of his future. I love watching Porter. I think he always seems to be in the right place to make a good play, and I think he is a great player, especially as the Captain. I follow all of the former Sioux players that are in the NHL/AHL/CHL over in the former players thread and I'm just excited to see him play at whatever level he will. I sure hope he gets that #8 first, though. :D

Yeah i agree with you except for hes the exact opposite of brad defauw. Anywho, I check in here once in a while and i decided that it was my time to share a loyal sioux voice. The fact that someone started this thread is nonsense. I know you all wish Chris the best in his future endeavors but the fact that remains is that he is still shooting for a national championship to finish off a rather subpar career with this years squad. I agree with most posters on here that he has blistering speed down the wing and the shot quickness that would make a skeet pigeon shooter jealous, but where do we go from there? The loops around the offensive zone and the constant self-destructiveness of when he doesnt make a play is almost nauseating and shows a severe lack of leadership which you are all praising him for just because he wears a "C" on his jersey. Its not much but chevyblaiser may have a point in regards to what people will recall when the name chris porter is brought up 5 years down the road. Not saying that i dont wish him the best but i felt like a line had to be drawn. Toodles

The Red Baron

Couldn't agree more!

Just what the hak is what the hak talking about.....how can you compare him to Brad Defauw? Even though I believe Porter has the same size, speed, work ethic and skill set as Defauw...that's about it....there's nothing else. However I do agree with Sterling's agreement on Porter's lack of discpline...which has hurt the Sioux at times this year. I am going to have to agree with chevyblaiser's comparison of Panzer and Porter...he is dead on. Besides speed and overall talent, they are the same player...and I think that will help Chris when he decides to play in the NHL. Sometimes Porter's play through the neutral zone reminds me of a young Mike Rupp. We will have to see how he pans out. Thoughts?

Just what the hak is what the hak talking about.....how can you compare him to Brad Defauw? Even though I believe Porter has the same size, speed, work ethic and skill set as Defauw...that's about it....there's nothing else. However I do agree with Sterling's agreement on Porter's lack of discpline...which has hurt the Sioux at times this year. I am going to have to agree with chevyblaiser's comparison of Panzer and Porter...he is dead on. Besides speed and overall talent, they are the same player...and I think that will help Chris when he decides to play in the NHL. Sometimes Porter's play through the neutral zone reminds me of a young Mike Rupp. We will have to see how he pans out. Thoughts?

you must be a newb on this board eading.... you keep contradicting yourself, one time you call him panzer then you call him Mike Rupp. And by no means did I say that panzer and porter are similar players, i was stating that they are very opposite. someone earlier said they are the same type of player :D PCM can back me up on that. but that is neither here nor there, I was simply saying I have not been over excited about his play and like what the hak said, people seem to be throwing him a bone cause he is the captain when I see it the opposite. If he is wearing the C that is a big responsibility and he should be the one leading this team, not taking untimely penalties.... thoughts??

you must be a newb on this board eading.... you keep contradicting yourself, one time you call him panzer then you call him Mike Rupp. And by no means did I say that panzer and porter are similar players, i was stating that they are very opposite. someone earlier said they are the same type of player :D PCM can back me up on that. but that is neither here nor there, I was simply saying I have not been over excited about his play and like what the hak said, people seem to be throwing him a bone cause he is the captain when I see it the opposite. If he is wearing the C that is a big responsibility and he should be the one leading this team, not taking untimely penalties.... thoughts??

Hmm...well I may be a "newb" as you say on this board, but I can still have an opinion...it seems someone (cough...chevyblaiser..cough) :D might have been a little offended by my last comment maybe??? All I am saying is that if Porter wears the "C" then he has the responsibility to play in the same way as a Panzer, a Goren, or even a younger Massen. Even if Porter takes bad penalties or slams his stick and curses loudly after missing a shot or a pass or a hit, he still is producing at an incredible rate this year at that will translate into his year next year......Thoughts?;)??

Hmm...well I may be a "newb" as you say on this board, but I can still have an opinion...it seems someone (cough...chevyblaiser..cough) :D might have been a little offended by my last comment maybe??? All I am saying is that if Porter wears the "C" then he has the responsibility to play in the same way as a Panzer, a Goren, or even a younger Massen. Even if Porter takes bad penalties or slams his stick and curses loudly after missing a shot or a pass or a hit, he still is producing at an incredible rate this year at that will translate into his year next year......Thoughts?:p??

you both are newbz. porter's play is comparable to a fat squirrel with one tooth...they both can crack nutz...and by no means is that a bad thing :D

Yes the NHL game has changed, and for the better. But one think is still there, and that is the need for strong corner play, and Porter does bring that. Many times on the penalty kill he has taken the puck into the offensive zone down into the corner, and kept it tied up against 2-3 opposing players. He can play the corners and side boards very well, and that is what he is built for. I don't care what league you are in, you do need guys with the capability to do that.

When Porter was a freshman at UND, he impressed me far more than Brady Murray did coming in. He was also scoring much more than Brady Murray. Then, Murray got paired up with Zach Parise, and Porter was moved into a checking/muscle role. That is where the divergence began. I would love to see Porter paired up with a couple of playmakers for once, so he could use his size and strength in front of the net. I believe that you would see a much different player from a scoring perspective.

How that translates into an NHL role is anyone's guess. He has impressed the Blackhawk's in camp. That says something. Maybe they were looking for different things than how he has been used at UND. And maybe they see that those things are there but haven't shown because of the role he has been in at UND

A lot of it is luck and timing. Hrkac never made it big in the NHL, but he came into a league dominated by size, clutching and grabbing. It would be interesting to see how a young Hrkac would do in today's NHL. My gut feel is that he would have more of an impact. Plain and simple we have no idea how Porter will do, but it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

4 new posters who registered within a day all posting in the same thread? Not that I am complaining, but something seems fishy.... :p

As much as I enjoy fishing Stromer...I will reveal the fact that I am a little upset with a few antics that "some" posters have pulled on this board...my inability to control my own emotions regarding this argument over Porter's undeniable skill have caused to to flame a bit on this topic...so I apologize, but so should you for being out of loop on this argument and instead questioning the validity of posters on this free speech, wonderfully run website message board.... :D:D;) thoughts

you must be a newb on this board eading.... you keep contradicting yourself, one time you call him panzer then you call him Mike Rupp. And by no means did I say that panzer and porter are similar players, i was stating that they are very opposite. someone earlier said they are the same type of player :D PCM can back me up on that.

Okay. What am I backing you up on?

That eading is a newb?

That Porter = Panzer?

That Porter = Mike Rupp?

That Porter is the opposite of Panzer or Rupp?

Give me a little help. That's all I'm asking. :D