SiouxSports.com Forum

Bettman article

fighting sue

Great article about Bettman from Yahoo! sports. It IS hard to believe that the NHL was once on par with the NBA for viewers.

The author points out that the league is overexpanded, but does anyone think any team will contract? It's sad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Amup...o&type=lgns

Harsh...

I think that NHL draws fans pretty well, but the TV ratings suck. I REALLY believe that if Center Ice was all HD, it would bring in a ton of fans.

Harsh...

I think that NHL draws fans pretty well, but the TV ratings suck. I REALLY believe that if Center Ice was all HD, it would bring in a ton of fans.

Actually the NHL isn't drawing very well in the SE, I suppose its hard to compete with Football, Basketball and NASCAR.

Great article about Bettman from Yahoo! sports. It IS hard to believe that the NHL was once on par with the NBA for viewers.

The author points out that the league is overexpanded, but does anyone think any team will contract? It's sad.

First off, if Pohlad owned the Wild....

NHL's viewership woes are numerous in nature and they can't be blamed solely on the state of the game. Some random ones I thought of are:

1. NHL siding more with money rather than reaching viewers in the TV agreement.

2. New rules only set up 5 years (at least) too late. Like them or hate them, hockey is now easier to watch than it was before.

3. Both sides forgot about the viewer and the fans in 2004 when they cancelled the season. The better answer would have been to raid lesser leagues and put SOME sort of product on the ice.

4. Expansion has something to do with it, but I think several of the expansion teams are doing well while traditional teams (even those that moved) are struggling.

Bettman is part of the problem. I still think he should have resigned after the lockout along with Goodenow.

ESPN sucks azz these days, other than they put Bina's goal number one :angry: . The reason they dont televise hockey anymore is due to lack of viewers, or lack of people interested in hockey. Why dont they have split networks or something! Hockey up north and pumkin pushing in the south(or whereever) Espn is basically a joke these days! So nerve wrecking! ;)

I love when Ron McLain interviews Bettman on Hockey Night in Canada, he takes him

to task on almost every issue and Bettman is so defensive with each question. It is no

wonder the NHL is in trouble! ;)

Seriously, replace him with the Wild marketing department. Love or hate the Wild their marketing is best in class...

XM 204 has been talking that one of the reasons the new NHL division set up didn't happen is that Pittsburgh could still move and even if they don't the league might be looking at expanding to 32 in about five years. Then you'd have 4 divisions of 8 teams.

Quite the endorsement of Bettman here: ;)

The Bettman era has been an unmitigated disaster for the league in virtually every possible way, one outrageously terrible initiative after another.

I could write a book about Bettman's insulting and imbecilic moves through the years (Chapter 9, "The Glowing Puck") but the main problem has always been the same. He has shown no respect for the game, for its history, for its fans, for its unique qualities.

Bettman might consider himself an astute sports marketer, but in practice he is arguably the worst of all-time. He has never figured out how to change his marketing plans to fit the product of hockey. Instead he changed the product to fit his marketing plans.

The league is now overexpanded and overpriced, misplaced and misdirected. It is less exciting, less interesting, less traditional and more difficult to follow for the non-obsessive fan.

This respected blogger Tire to fire Bettman believes contraction is inevitable.