SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Exposure Good or Bad for UND DI Transition

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, take a look at today's Star Tribune. UND sweeps the Gophers in Minnesota for the first time in 26 years and where is the story? Buried on page four of the sports section!

Hockey doesn't even get page one coverage in Minneapolis/St Paul, the hockey hotbed of the country.

BTW, your comment about Iowa fans buying tickets is completely irrelevent.

BTW, why would the Star Tribune a Minnesota paper want their butt kicking to be front page news! No hometown newspaper that big wants to put that as front page news. Didn't really expect them to put it there.

BTW, why would the Star Tribune a Minnesota paper want their butt kicking to be front page news! No hometown newspaper that big wants to put that as front page news. Didn't really expect them to put it there.

Funny, the Strib doesn't seem to have that attitude in any other sport. Such a loss in football or basketball would always be page one.

Funny, the Strib doesn't seem to have that attitude in any other sport. Such a loss in football or basketball would always be page one.

Maybe, just maybe, it hurts more when your only real program, other than wrestling, gets a thorough beating like they did last night. Again, anyone out there who can pull viewers or ratings for this game? I think we would be surprised on the viewership. Way to go Sioux...Thank god it didn't come down to a chip shot field goal for our wins... :ohmy:

BobIwabuchiFan

Maybe, just maybe, it hurts more when your only real program, other than wrestling, gets a thorough beating like they did last night.

BobIwabuchiFan

Nonsense. The Twin Cities media just doesn't work that way. If there really was as much interest in this game as you claim, the TC media would be all over the story. There isn't, so they're not.

check out Sports Center and the #1 this week.

Hmmm, I went to ESPN's web site..couldn't find a thing about last night's game. I did find some interesting stuff about horse racing, but nothing about the hockey game.

You know, I often see lucky full court shots from high school basketball games on Sports Center. Should I draw any conclusions about the relative popularity of high school hoops?

[*]UND's athletic department rolodex already contains a lot of D-I AD's. Those relationships can help in all sorts of subtle ways. See Maturi's recent attempts to get additional permission to play UND in other sports; there's little doubt Minnesota and Wisconsin would be getting UND on their schedules in the big sports on the first possible day if they were allowed to. While they're not on the table for now, there are quite a few other I's and I-AA's with whom we have similar relationships.

It would appear that UND's hockey ties with Wisconsin could pay dividends in the near future.

Official: Badgers could play UND

Somebody seems very worried that NDSU may not be the only North Dakota school on Big 10 schedules in the coming years! :ohmy:

I have absolutely no doubt that, eventually, UND will be on on Big Ten schedules. That prospect does not worry me at all. By then, NDSU will already be a regular opponent of Big Ten and Big 12 schools. Some of whom could not care less about UND's hockey team.

Hmmm, I went to ESPN's web site..couldn't find a thing about last night's game. I did find some interesting stuff about horse racing, but nothing about the hockey game.

You know, I often see lucky full court shots from high school basketball games on Sports Center. Should I draw any conclusions about the relative popularity of high school hoops?

yep, you make a full court shot you make sports center. Have you seen anything about high school games that wasn't a full court shot on Sports Center. Which I found the game by going to ESPN's website. If you don't believe me about the Sports Center thing, check out the hockey section.

How about that for exposure. UND beats the Gophers, UND sweeps the Gophers, UND sweeps the Gophers in Minneapolis, UND sweeps the #1 team in the country, UND sweeps the Big 10 Gophers on Fox Sports North Regional television, and then to top it off UND is the #1 play of the day on ESPN Sports Center. That is priceless exposure.

Some of whom could not care less about UND's hockey team.

Well, I guess as long as Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota care about our hockey team, that will be good enough. In addition too that, we were already on the Purdue and Indiana basketball schedule this year and I suspect we'll be able to get on the Fighting Illini schedule in the future. And of course, we've been playing those Big Ten schools in D1 regular season games and NCAA Frozen Fours for a lot of years, so it's not as big of a deal to us as it is for you guys. We've had Notre Dame, Boston College, Boston University, Harvard and a lot of other schools coming to play in Grand Forks for years. We even had Kansas come and play basketball in the REA a couple years ago. When are some of these teams going to play "any" game in Fargo? Montana State even dumped you guys even though you had a contract in place. Please name the major universities (any sport) that have played in Fargo. I'm really having a hard time coming up with any. UND has played more major universities in the last 5 years than the Ag College has as a transitioning D1 school. UND will also play more major universities and Big Ten Schools over 5 years than the Ag College will.

NDSU fans have been saying they have a great rivalry going with the Gophers. The television announcers and players from the Gophers on TV this weekend repeatedly said what a great rivalry that Minnesota has with UND . WE have played the Gophers at various times in other sports besides hockey too. I believe that was the 258th time we have played the Gophers in hockey. Maybe the Bison should play another 250 games with the Gophers and then start talking about their great rivalry with the Gophers. It takes years and years , and games and games to develop a true rivalry. I think they better stick to their SDSU rivalry. That's a pretty intense rivalry , or at least they say it is.

NDSU fans have been saying they have a great rivalry going with the Gophers. The television announcers and players from the Gophers on TV this weekend repeatedly said what a great rivalry that Minnesota has with UND . WE have played the Gophers at various times in other sports besides hockey too. I believe that was the 258th time we have played the Gophers in hockey. Maybe the Bison should play another 250 games with the Gophers and then start talking about their great rivalry with the Gophers. It takes years and years , and games and games to develop a true rivalry. I think they better stick to their SDSU rivalry. That's a pretty intense rivalry , or at least they say it is.

I don't see Bison fans calling Minnesota a rival, we have only one true rival and that is UND.

yep, you make a full court shot you make sports center. Have you seen anything about high school games that wasn't a full court shot on Sports Center. Which I found the game by going to ESPN's website. If you don't believe me about the Sports Center thing, check out the hockey section.

Oh, I'm sure the game is there somewhere. It's just really hard to find. Much harder to find than golf, tennis, NASCAR and horse racing.

Only the most delusional of Bison fans believe that NDSU has, or is likely to ever have, a real rivalry with the Unversity of Minnesota. But don't kid yourself, ouside of the hockey rink, UND is not the University of Minnesota's rival, and is not likely to ever be.

Only the most delusional of Bison fans believe that NDSU has, or is likely to ever have, a real rivalry with the Unversity of Minnesota. But don't kid yourself, ouside of the hockey rink, UND is not the University of Minnesota's rival, and is not likely to ever be.

Ugghhh! Gothmog, get a clue. You are making yourself and alot of other Bison fans look like bufoons for no reason. Know your role. :ohmy:

I see your point!............................................

Which brings us full circle.

UND's hockey program can only be bad for its DI transition if:

1) It creates unrealistic expectations of what is possible in other sports.

2) It undermines internal support for, and funding of, other sports. Because those sports are seen as "unimportant" or "minor" in comparison with hockey.

I see evidence of both in this thread.