SiouxSports.com Forum

Western HS Hockey

I can never find this thread in the "Community" section of SS.com. I post to it whe it comes up on the "forums" part of the site. Is it just not displayed because there is another thread dealing with ND High School Hockey and it is deemed repetitive? Perhaps I'm just blind which is more likely the case.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback, Wilbur. I forgot that Cartier's first name was Josh. Did he ever play D-I anywhere? I know that he played for Notre Dame in Wilcox and I think he played while Ben Keup was there but he may have been after. I agree with you. I don't know what happens but the kids just seem to lose focus or something. Back when I played, Minot was considered the hockey town of the West and GF was considered the hockey town of the East. Minot had the Minot raiders and the Minot Americans. I think the whole scandal involving the Americans' predecessor, the Minot ?????, soured a lot of people and that attitude passed down to being sour towards the H.S. team too. A lot of people invested in that junior team and the owner took the money and left. I don't think he was ever apprehended. Lee Goren and a few other UND players came from the Minot Americans program. When I played, I think hockey was as popular as basketball and a lot more popular than wrestling. I think Minot likes basketball more now and I don't think that the antics of some hockey players past and present have helped alleviate the sour attitude that many may have against hockey. It's too bad. Minot and the west generally have had some great players like Jeff Bredahl, Tim McIver, the Zimmerman brothers, Matt Morrelli, Bliss Littler, Jarrod Olson, Danny Hanson, PHilion, Mike Hanson, Brian Haaland, John Grubb, Quinn Fylling, Jim Kropp (jamestown -- I am not as familiar with that program but I know they've had others go D-1), Mitch Vig, MIke Peluso, Jeremy Asheim, Justin Theel (Bismarck -- and I know they've had others too) etc so I don't know where the east gets off saying that the west teams are bad when those same teams have had a lot of talent throughout the years. Let's hope Minot can get motivated and upset GFRR and maybe do something at state this year.

Josh actually ended up playing DIII out east somewhere. I can't remember where exactly, but I think he was a case of hockey burnout. After the Americans came the Top Guns, and after the Top Guns we had the Muskies for one season. I thought the muskies would make it because they had a good core of Minnesota and North Dakota kids, but they could never get a deal worked out with the all seasons arena.

Its funny some of those guys you mention. I play mens league in Minot and play with Morrelli, Olson, Hanson, Philion, current Minot coach Pete Fiske (played at Bottineau) and Grubb just to name and few, pretty fun guys to be around, and the hockey gets pretty intense too!

I almost wish that they went away from the Region Tournaments and went back to the old playoff system where they did the cross brackets east and west playoffs. That way we wouldn't hear as much complaining about four western teams automatically being in the tournament. I still think we'd see at least three western teams in the tournament every year.

PS: To find this thread and other high school hockey ones, just go to the non-collegiate sports forum. You click into the community forum, and it is at the top of the page.

It very well could happen. No one saw Fargo South's implosion coming. Plus Red River could come in looking past Minot.

It could very well happen, and the moon could very well collide into Earth next week. I don't see the best team in the state (arguably), that is currently playing pretty close to the best they have, lose to a team that is mediocre at best.

Maybe Minot really does just flat out forget to perform at the state tournement. But I doubt it. If every year you have the better team than the team you are playing, the majority of the times you are going to win the game. That's simple logic. I believe it is unreasonable and frankly a little bit childish to say that the reason Minot does not win their first round game (or any West team for that matter) is because they did not show up to play. The fact of the matter is they are probably out worked, out coached, and out skilled year after year. That's why teams lose. Not because they are in awe of the Ralph, or the drive tired their legs.

It could very well happen, and the moon could very well collide into Earth next week. I don't see the best team in the state (arguably), that is currently playing pretty close to the best they have, lose to a team that is mediocre at best.

Maybe Minot really does just flat out forget to perform at the state tournement. But I doubt it. If every year you have the better team than the team you are playing, the majority of the times you are going to win the game. That's simple logic. I believe it is unreasonable and frankly a little bit childish to say that the reason Minot does not win their first round game (or any West team for that matter) is because they did not show up to play. The fact of the matter is they are probably out worked, out coached, and out skilled year after year. That's why teams lose. Not because they are in awe of the Ralph, or the drive tired their legs.

Thanks Wilbur. Morrelli loves to be called "boat" (not really but that was his nickname at one time) and we all called him that when he was about a sophomore/junior. Fiske played after I did but he was a great goalie for Bottineau. I don't know if he played any d-1 (I thought he did but maybe he just played for the Jacks) but I know that a goalie around his time went on to play at SCSU. DAvid Vad, BRice BErgeron, Pat Irey are Bottineau names that come to mind for me.

I do think, UND22, that some the top teams in the east may be more talented than Minot some years but my point is that it is not every year and that many Minot teams have been as good or better than the east, namely, the 2005 squad. A team with 5 or 6 d-1 recruits that beat the east and some Minnesota schools (at least EGF) does not simply get outclassed by an average GRand Forks Central team and lose 6-2. That was the case in 1993 and in 1998 too. Those are chokes and I return to my Cubs/Red Sox analogy. One person said some time ago that an overall weaker schedule out west may have something to do with getting complacent or overconfident when it comes to state as the team is not as "battle hardened" as some of the east schools who play, game-in/game-out, a tougher conference schedule.

I agree with Wilbur that the State should go back to the East/West playoffs where the top West/East teams get to play-in to the tournament against the bottom teams from the opposing conference. I still remember ins 1984 when a very good Bottineau team with Gary Belbeck, David Vad (an outstanding player), Brice Bergeron and Pat Irey beat a very cocky Fargo North team in little Bottineau (probably the best and fastest ice in the state). I bet the bus ride to Fargo that night was a blast. Better still, the state should be divided into North/South regions instead of East/West regions. If the persons involved really cared about the development of ND high school hockey, they'd probably do this but the east powers that be don't want it that way and are, in my opinion, self-absorbed and myopic. In Minnesota for instance, some realigning has taken place with Rochester Lourdes and the other Rochester teams, all very good teams, playing Mankato East/West, Marshall and New Ulm and even Luverne out west. These are established programs that have been scheduling "weaker" teams for several years now. The purpose: To facilitate the development of hockey in places that used to be (and still are in large part) wrestling bastions.

Thanks Wilbur. Morrelli loves to be called "boat" (not really but that was his nickname at one time) and we all called him that when he was about a sophomore/junior. Fiske played after I did but he was a great goalie for Bottineau. I don't know if he played any d-1 (I thought he did but maybe he just played for the Jacks) but I know that a goalie around his time went on to play at SCSU. DAvid Vad, BRice BErgeron, Pat Irey are Bottineau names that come to mind for me.

I do think, UND22, that some the top teams in the east may be more talented than Minot some years but my point is that it is not every year and that many Minot teams have been as good or better than the east, namely, the 2005 squad. A team with 5 or 6 d-1 recruits that beat the east and some Minnesota schools (at least EGF) does not simply get outclassed by an average GRand Forks Central team and lose 6-2. That was the case in 1993 and in 1998 too. Those are chokes and I return to my Cubs/Red Sox analogy. One person said some time ago that an overall weaker schedule out west may have something to do with getting complacent or overconfident when it comes to state as the team is not as "battle hardened" as some of the east schools who play, game-in/game-out, a tougher conference schedule.

I agree with Wilbur that the State should go back to the East/West playoffs where the top West/East teams get to play-in to the tournament against the bottom teams from the opposing conference. I still remember ins 1984 when a very good Bottineau team with Gary Belbeck, David Vad (an outstanding player), Brice Bergeron and Pat Irey beat a very cocky Fargo North team in little Bottineau (probably the best and fastest ice in the state). I bet the bus ride to Fargo that night was a blast. Better still, the state should be divided into North/South regions instead of East/West regions. If the persons involved really cared about the development of ND high school hockey, they'd probably do this but the east powers that be don't want it that way and are, in my opinion, self-absorbed and myopic. In Minnesota for instance, some realigning has taken place with Rochester Lourdes and the other Rochester teams, all very good teams, playing Mankato East/West, Marshall and New Ulm and even Luverne out west. These are established programs that have been scheduling "weaker" teams for several years now. The purpose: To facilitate the development of hockey in places that used to be (and still are in large part) wrestling bastions.

Five or six D-1 recruits in 2005? I can think of two- Jordan Willert, and Rody Selk (who hasn't committed anywhere). Who am I missing?

Five or six D-1 recruits in 2005? I can think of two- Jordan Willert, and Rody Selk (who hasn't committed anywhere). Who am I missing?

Andy Dittus -- I believe he's going to UN-Omaha if my attorney friend down there has his information right. It makes sense since Willert is already going there. I don't know if the two are friends but I would imagine that Bliss LIttler has connections with UNO's Kemp as Littler is the head coach of the Tri-City Storm; he still has connections to Minot hockey (I wish he'd coach the H.S. team). Dittus plays for Green Bay and Willert plays for Tri-City. UNO has had other Minot players like Mike Hanson and Brian Haaland. Nathan Stremick has had some people looking at him, including Mankato. I thought some teams were interested in the goalie from the 2005 team (I forget his name) too. I know for a fact that Jutting or Eric Means, Mankato's head coach and assistant coach (for now), attends the North Dakota High School hockey tournament every year and that they were impressed with Stremick and Dittus last year. Actually, I'm surprised that Lake Superior State has not had a western ND kid for awhile. They've had some of them with Ben Keup and Dan Hanson and Chad Dahlen (I guess he'd be from the East as he's a Devils Lake kid).

Andy Dittus -- I believe he's going to UN-Omaha if my attorney friend down there has his information right. It makes sense since Willert is already going there. I don't know if the two are friends but I would imagine that Bliss LIttler has connections with UNO's Kemp as Littler is the head coach of the Tri-City Storm; he still has connections to Minot hockey (I wish he'd coach the H.S. team). Dittus plays for Green Bay and Willert plays for Tri-City. UNO has had other Minot players like Mike Hanson and Brian Haaland. Nathan Stremick has had some people looking at him, including Mankato. I thought some teams were interested in the goalie from the 2005 team (I forget his name) too. I know for a fact that Jutting or Eric Means, Mankato's head coach and assistant coach (for now), attends the North Dakota High School hockey tournament every year and that they were impressed with Stremick and Dittus last year. Actually, I'm surprised that Lake Superior State has not had a western ND kid for awhile. They've had some of them with Ben Keup and Dan Hanson and Chad Dahlen (I guess he'd be from the East as he's a Devils Lake kid).

Hmm interesting. I am in close connection with the Dittus family and I will give them a ring sometime tommorow and see what's up with that. Andy is a very good player, the only knock on him I have ever heard is he's all over the place in the defensive zone. I haven't seen that, but that's what I hear. I haven't heard anything of the sort from Stremick. He must be really making some strides. I always knew he was a good player but had never heard he was being contacted by any division 1 schools. Very interesting.

Well, obviously Minot had some talent those years. Still something does not add up. Minot must not have been so much better (if better at all) as a complete team, to lose in the opening round of the state tournement don't you think? In my opinion, if ALL those players are division one prospects, they must have been absolutly terrible on defense or they had no depth. I do not think that in North Dakota High School hockey if you have 5 players who can head to a division one school on one team, and the rest of the team is even just a little above average you will not lose to the 4th seed. So the way I see it, Minot must have had some major holes somewhere.

I would say I agree with Chewey that some of those years Minot was outclassed by the team they were playing. But there have been a couple times where Minot was the better squad and just didn't get any bounces. I remember a game against Fargo North, Minot is leading the whole game, only to have a screened shot go in the net with like a minute left and lost in OT. Another time against West Fargo where both of West Fargo's goals go off of Minot players and in the net (from behind the goal line mind you). When I played at Minot we were tied with Central 1-1 going into the third period, only to have a horrendous bounce go to Central to give them a 2-1 lead, and eventually win the game 3-1.

I think likening it to the Red Sox is about right.

Also, take a look at White Bear Lake. They are on a similar streak in the state of Minnesota. I think they have last 17 in a row of their first round games at the Minnesota state tournament. You can't tell me that the talent is lacking there. A friend of mine from college played at WBL before going to Hill-Murray, he said it was almost a sure thing that WBL would end up losing their first round game at state even when they had the most talent.

Actually I don't think he did.

Hmm interesting. I am in close connection with the Dittus family and I will give them a ring sometime tommorow and see what's up with that. Andy is a very good player, the only knock on him I have ever heard is he's all over the place in the defensive zone. I haven't seen that, but that's what I hear. I haven't heard anything of the sort from Stremick. He must be really making some strides. I always knew he was a good player but had never heard he was being contacted by any division 1 schools. Very interesting.

Well, obviously Minot had some talent those years. Still something does not add up. Minot must not have been so much better (if better at all) as a complete team, to lose in the opening round of the state tournement don't you think? In my opinion, if ALL those players are division one prospects, they must have been absolutly terrible on defense or they had no depth. I do not think that in North Dakota High School hockey if you have 5 players who can head to a division one school on one team, and the rest of the team is even just a little above average you will not lose to the 4th seed. So the way I see it, Minot must have had some major holes somewhere.

I'd like to know if my source in Omaha is wrong so let me know what Dittus family says. The attorney friend of mine is a Gustavus Adolphus grad and gradutated with coach Kemp from there. It's well known that Jutting and Means believe that it's tough recruiting against the bigs like ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc and that they either have to find good players in places not usually tapped by the bigs, like Minot or other places, or they have to rely on getting good players like David BAckes and Travis Morin who want to get a lot of playing time or at least more playing time than they would get at the bigs. Lake Superior State's past coaches -- I forget their names right now but the one that won the national tournament a few times and the one right after him --have said that "we'll take 'em" when referring to North Dakota players like Ness from Grand Forks and Keup from Minot. St. Cloud had the "Backes" thing going with Mark Parrish and Matt Cullen a few years back; they did not want to play for Woog at Minnesota. Stremick may or may not be a diamond in the rough for a team but Mankato, from what I understand, at least knows about him.

I agree with you and Wilbur that Minot has been simply outclassed some years at state but not every year. I don't know if you remember but the 1992 Bismarck team was considered to be unbeatable with Mike Peluso, Justin Theel (a transfer from Bottineau), Jeremy Asheim, Mitch Vig, and a few others. I actually think that that team was one of the best, or even the best, that North Dakota ever put together. They pounded Minot both times that year and one time beat them 11-1 I think.....Maybe that was 1991 Minot team that got pounded. At state, Minot beat them somehow and Bismarck had a lot more talent even though Minot had Philion and Dan Hanson. Bismarck choked that year. The 2005 Minot team may have been like that 1992 Bismarck team. The Jamestown team of 1986 was "the best in the state" but got "upset" by Red River. The 1985 Red River team was unstoppable and got beaten by Minot at state when Freddy Anderson got hot in goal. Red River had beaten us 6-0 earlier in the year.

Off topic, does Tyrel McBain even get any playing time at South? It looks as if that was a very poor decision. He could have just as well entered the USHL or SJHL. I'm sure languishing on the South bench does nothing for his confidence.

I'd like to know if my source in Omaha is wrong so let me know what Dittus family says. The attorney friend of mine is a Gustavus Adolphus grad and gradutated with coach Kemp from there. It's well known that Jutting and Means believe that it's tough recruiting against the bigs like ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc and that they either have to find good players in places not usually tapped by the bigs, like Minot or other places, or they have to rely on getting good players like David BAckes and Travis Morin who want to get a lot of playing time or at least more playing time than they would get at the bigs. Lake Superior State's past coaches -- I forget their names right now but the one that won the national tournament a few times and the one right after him --have said that "we'll take 'em" when referring to North Dakota players like Ness from Grand Forks and Keup from Minot. St. Cloud had the "Backes" thing going with Mark Parrish and Matt Cullen a few years back; they did not want to play for Woog at Minnesota. Stremick may or may not be a diamond in the rough for a team but Mankato, from what I understand, at least knows about him.

I agree with you and Wilbur that Minot has been simply outclassed some years at state but not every year. I don't know if you remember but the 1992 Bismarck team was considered to be unbeatable with Mike Peluso, Justin Theel (a transfer from Bottineau), Jeremy Asheim, Mitch Vig, and a few others. I actually think that that team was one of the best, or even the best, that North Dakota ever put together. They pounded Minot both times that year and one time beat them 11-1 I think.....Maybe that was 1991 Minot team that got pounded. At state, Minot beat them somehow and Bismarck had a lot more talent even though Minot had Philion and Dan Hanson. Bismarck choked that year. The 2005 Minot team may have been like that 1992 Bismarck team. The Jamestown team of 1986 was "the best in the state" but got "upset" by Red River. The 1985 Red River team was unstoppable and got beaten by Minot at state when Freddy Anderson got hot in goal. Red River had beaten us 6-0 earlier in the year.

Off topic, does Tyrel McBain even get any playing time at South? It looks as if that was a very poor decision. He could have just as well entered the USHL or SJHL. I'm sure languishing on the South bench does nothing for his confidence.

Wow you must really think south is deep, Players that aren't even studs on that team could have easily hopped into the USHL?

Let me guess, some of there better players could have just as easily entered the WCHA or the NHL?

Wow you must really think south is deep, Players that aren't even studs on that team could have easily hopped into the USHL?

Let me guess, some of there better players could have just as easily entered the WCHA or the NHL?

I see what you're saying Chewey, and I will just agree to disagree. Upsets occur in hockey, we can all agree on that. I just don't think when it happes year after year it's an upset anymore. Anyway...

I don't think it's reasonable to believe McBain could have "hopped" on to a USHL team or even a SJHL team. If he was a USHL caliber player we would probably know that by now. So unless he's really getting the shaft at Fargo South (I doubt they would shaft a USHL caliber player when they are struggling like this) he is not ready for the USHL at this point in time. Players who are not USHL, SJHL, NAHL, etc. caliber players can turn themselves into these types of players, but it takes some real work. Work that most players don't want to or don't know how to do. I don't think McBain is the best player on Souths team, and with the exception of Wurden, there isn't a player on there roster who could step into a USHL game without being absolutly lost.

I understand where you're coming from UND22 concerning the year-to-year thing with Minot. The history is very odd and not supportive when arguing from my standpoint. I don't think McBain is getting shafted but I do think that he's not getting playing time because a lot of players are better than he is. My point is that he would have gotten more playing time staying where he was even though he would have been playing against, in large part, less skilled teams. He probably did a disservice to himself by moving to Fargo. Without a lot of real game time in, he is probably going not going to develop as much as he would have continued to develop by staying in Hazen. Hopefully, he'll be more motivated around better talent and work harder, like you say, and continue to develop rather than get discouraged. I agree with the skill level of the USHL/SJHL being higher than the high school level and that many would be lost if they made the leap. But I think some of the top players from years past have made the jump ok haven't they like those two from Fargo South last year? I thought that they jumped right in to playing for the Fargo NAHL team. Some of the top kids from Minot have gone the SJHL route in years past rather than stay in high school.

I understand where you're coming from UND22 concerning the year-to-year thing with Minot. The history is very odd and not supportive when arguing from my standpoint. I don't think McBain is getting shafted but I do think that he's not getting playing time because a lot of players are better than he is. My point is that he would have gotten more playing time staying where he was even though he would have been playing against, in large part, less skilled teams. He probably did a disservice to himself by moving to Fargo. Without a lot of real game time in, he is probably going not going to develop as much as he would have continued to develop by staying in Hazen. Hopefully, he'll be more motivated around better talent and work harder, like you say, and continue to develop rather than get discouraged. I agree with the skill level of the USHL/SJHL being higher than the high school level and that many would be lost if they made the leap. But I think some of the top players from years past have made the jump ok haven't they like those two from Fargo South last year? I thought that they jumped right in to playing for the Fargo NAHL team. Some of the top kids from Minot have gone the SJHL route in years past rather than stay in high school.

That is a pretty good analysis of the situation. I do not believe you improve very much as a player playing in games. It's not supported by scientific research. You improve by repetition. From that standpoint where do you get the least repetition? Games. And if you're not getting very much playing time, your repetition is going to be even less than that of other players on the team (obviously). I believe if McBain had a great work ethic he could still improve as much as he would have in Hazen, if not more, because he's practicing against better players. Practice is the place where you get the second most amount of repetition. The place where you get the most amount of repetition, is when you put down the remote control and go into your garage and stickhandle, shoot pucks, and do them in way that will correlate specifically to on ice success. But besides this, he would also have to be putting quality time in training in a hockey specific manner. People decondition after only 48 hours, so if you're not doing something besides skating during the hockey season, a lot of the conditioning and other things you have worked on during the summer, will slowly fade off and you will wear out towords the end of the season. This is not as prominent in high school hockey ,where the season is much shorter than that of Jr. A teams and pro teams. In all my years involved with hockey, I have seen very few, if any players that train to be hockey players. They train like football players. So in that regard, even if he is working his ass off, he could be falling more and more behind someone who is fortunate enough to be training with someone who knows how to train hockey players, not football players.

*I have yet to see a facility in North Dakota where you are trained specifically to be a hockey player. They may claim to train you like a hockey player, but they do not. Maybe a few of the exercises they will have you do will be hockey specific, but if all your energy isn't focused in the proper manner, you're just wasting your time. It's not enough to train hard, you have to train smart.

North Dakota has had a lot of good players. Players who were able to make the jump into the NAHL and USHL and some WCHA. But, you have to have something special to get onto teams like that, obviously. That's why I didn't think it was reasonable that a sub-par player for the best team in the state could make the jump. At least not at this point in time. Hopefully North Dakota can have more and more success placing players into the Jr. and Division one ranks. And when they get there hopefully they work harder than anyone else on there team, to represent North Dakota in a positive manner when they are in the public eye. Unlike many players who have poor work ethic, and partake in questionable activities for their respective Jr. teams.

That is a pretty good analysis of the situation. I do not believe you improve very much as a player playing in games. It's not supported by scientific research. You improve by repetition. From that standpoint where do you get the least repetition? Games. And if you're not getting very much playing time, your repetition is going to be even less than that of other players on the team (obviously). I believe if McBain had a great work ethic he could still improve as much as he would have in Hazen, if not more, because he's practicing against better players. Practice is the place where you get the second most amount of repetition. The place where you get the most amount of repetition, is when you put down the remote control and go into your garage and stickhandle, shoot pucks, and do them in way that will correlate specifically to on ice success. But besides this, he would also have to be putting quality time in training in a hockey specific manner. People decondition after only 48 hours, so if you're not doing something besides skating during the hockey season, a lot of the conditioning and other things you have worked on during the summer, will slowly fade off and you will wear out towords the end of the season. This is not as prominent in high school hockey ,where the season is much shorter than that of Jr. A teams and pro teams. In all my years involved with hockey, I have seen very few, if any players that train to be hockey players. They train like football players. So in that regard, even if he is working his ass off, he could be falling more and more behind someone who is fortunate enough to be training with someone who knows how to train hockey players, not football players.

*I have yet to see a facility in North Dakota where you are trained specifically to be a hockey player. They may claim to train you like a hockey player, but they do not. Maybe a few of the exercises they will have you do will be hockey specific, but if all your energy isn't focused in the proper manner, you're just wasting your time. It's not enough to train hard, you have to train smart.

North Dakota has had a lot of good players. Players who were able to make the jump into the NAHL and USHL and some WCHA. But, you have to have something special to get onto teams like that, obviously. That's why I didn't think it was reasonable that a sub-par player for the best team in the state could make the jump. At least not at this point in time. Hopefully North Dakota can have more and more success placing players into the Jr. and Division one ranks. And when they get there hopefully they work harder than anyone else on there team, to represent North Dakota in a positive manner when they are in the public eye. Unlike many players who have poor work ethic, and partake in questionable activities for their respective Jr. teams.

Those are all very good, lucid points. I would like to see ND make some more strides to step even closer to the level of competition in MN. I think the top teams in ND like GFRR, FS and GPR could compete pretty well with most of the teams in MN except Shattuck and Holy Angels. Maybe that's naive but I like to think it. I never thought Wisconsin as a hockey state but they are making strides too. A lot of the WI players are from WI. I'd like to see that for ND some day. I always thought of ND as more of a hockey state than WI, which is, or at least was, primarily a basketball state. How does a state do it? More money, more ice sheets, more "elite" camps? The exodus of ND's younger people to MT, MN, CO does not help.

I am interested in hearing what the Dittus family says. My Neb. friend is on a lot but he has been off too. UNO playes Mankato twice each year and it would be nice to see two Minot kids out on the ice...or three depending on Stremick for Mankato. Is there any word on if anyone is interested in Rody Selk even though he has not committed anywhere or is he just not that good yet?

Those are all very good, lucid points. I would like to see ND make some more strides to step even closer to the level of competition in MN. I think the top teams in ND like GFRR, FS and GPR could compete pretty well with most of the teams in MN except Shattuck and Holy Angels. Maybe that's naive but I like to think it. I never thought Wisconsin as a hockey state but they are making strides too. A lot of the WI players are from WI. I'd like to see that for ND some day. I always thought of ND as more of a hockey state than WI, which is, or at least was, primarily a basketball state. How does a state do it? More money, more ice sheets, more "elite" camps? The exodus of ND's younger people to MT, MN, CO does not help.

I am interested in hearing what the Dittus family says. My Neb. friend is on a lot but he has been off too. UNO playes Mankato twice each year and it would be nice to see two Minot kids out on the ice...or three depending on Stremick for Mankato. Is there any word on if anyone is interested in Rody Selk even though he has not committed anywhere or is he just not that good yet?

I have no word on Selk, but I'm sure the Dittus family will have an idea. Again with that, it's not only about being good enough, someone has to give you a chance and you have to be able to fill the role they want you to fill. Right now it looks like Selk would be most successful being a grinder and making a selfless play if he were to play at the next level.

North Dakota needs to change its approach to developing players. I think the practice to game ratio is a joke, and many of the coachs do not pay close enough attention to detail. These coachs need to know how to spot an error in a players stride, shot, etc., and teach them the proper way to fix that problem. To be quiet honest, many of them do not know how to do this. Creativity needs to be stressed, and at the younger levels the focus has to be almost solely on individual development. I'll go deeper into detail later...

I have no word on Selk, but I'm sure the Dittus family will have an idea. Again with that, it's not only about being good enough, someone has to give you a chance and you have to be able to fill the role they want you to fill. Right now it looks like Selk would be most successful being a grinder and making a selfless play if he were to play at the next level.

North Dakota needs to change its approach to developing players. I think the practice to game ratio is a joke, and many of the coachs do not pay close enough attention to detail. These coachs need to know how to spot an error in a players stride, shot, etc., and teach them the proper way to fix that problem. To be quiet honest, many of them do not know how to do this. Creativity needs to be stressed, and at the younger levels the focus has to be almost solely on individual development. I'll go deeper into detail later...

I completely agree with that assessment, very well said. I hope that is something discussed in the future with the meetings and what not, but I guess we'll see.

The last time I talked to Rody Selk was over the break and he didn't really have any indications of where he was going to play college hockey. I know that he has one more year of Junior hockey eligibility left, so I imagine he'll use it before signing with someone.

I agree with your point to some extent. More coaches need to focus on some of the smaller details. Sometimes it is not possible for a coach to stop a practice and point out every little detail. But, from watching many practices at different age levels, the players now adays are becoming less coachable. Maybe it's because their parents are letting them come on the site and read the posts. Coaches don't paid enough to deal with spoiled kids and ignorant parents.