SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Attendance

SiouxMD

First, NDSUFREAK10, SiouxMeNow is a lot like SDBison or JBB; seems to be a decent enough person, but trying to hold a rational conversation with him about NDSU(or UND in the case of SDBison and JBB) is just a recipe for a headache. Just cut your losses and move on.

Second, for everyone else, I thought I'd post these attendance numbers since DI-FPS appears to be your future. As you can see, some numbers are higher while others are in the DII ballpark. Strangely, there seems to be widespread allegations of underreporting playoff figures. Anyway, these are the official numbers.

20,077-- McNeese St @ Montana

16,223-- Coastal Carolina @ App State

11,627-- James Madison @ Youngstown State

9,427--- Furman @ Montana State

5,693--- UT-Martin @ Southern Illinois

5,388--- Lafayette @ Umass

4,400--- Illinois State @ Eastern Illinois

3,401--- New Hampshire @ Hampton

Interesting fact: Only four teams are seeded in the DI Football Championship Playoffs and one of the major criteria in selecting the pairings is keeping travel distances to a minimum for all teams. That consideration supercedes ranking order.

First, NDSUFREAK10, SiouxMeNow is a lot like SDBison or JBB; seems to be a decent enough person, but trying to hold a rational conversation with him about NDSU(or UND in the case of SDBison and JBB) is just a recipe for a headache.

JBB?? :D Now you're just being mean! I do have just the thing for that headache though....

headon01.jpg

Don't feed the trolls! :lol:

I heard a crazy theory that UNA can't host the semi-final since they host the championship. Any truth to this?

I don't think it's true, because I remember how much they were complaining when we hosted them instead of it being the other way around.

If you look back at 2003, both UND and UNA were 1 seeds. UNA was ranked higher nationally. UND's SOS was slightly higher (using the criteria that was in place at that point in time. UNA played a D1AA team that was in D1AA playoffs on the road, and won..criteria penalized teams for playing non-d2 teams, no matter the division). Based on the SOS, the decision was correct in making UNA travel (although you'd never know it listening to uninformed fans).

This year, all things being equal, UNA (2) SHOULD host UND (3) if both make it that far, while Delta (5) would have to travel to the Alerus. If GVSU wins, GVSU hosts.

There will be no more games in Cleveland, MS this year. That will give the goats time to eat the rest of the turf and put some more divots in the field.

UNA is the "host" institution every year for the NC game. Braly Stadium is owned by the City of Florence, not UNA. Contract runs through 2009, I believe.

If you look back at 2003, both UND and UNA were 1 seeds. UNA was ranked higher nationally. UND's SOS was slightly higher (using the criteria that was in place at that point in time. UNA played a D1AA team that was in D1AA playoffs on the road, and won..criteria penalized teams for playing non-d2 teams, no matter the division). Based on the SOS, the decision was correct in making UNA travel (although you'd never know it listening to uninformed fans).

This year, all things being equal, UNA (2) SHOULD host UND (3) if both make it that far, while Delta (5) would have to travel to the Alerus. If GVSU wins, GVSU hosts.

There will be no more games in Cleveland, MS this year. That will give the goats time to eat the rest of the turf and put some more divots in the field.

UNA is the "host" institution every year for the NC game. Braly Stadium is owned by the City of Florence, not UNA. Contract runs through 2009, I believe.

Legalese sematatics there Florence Fan. :D

Are you saying UNA would host based solely on the 2 seed this year? Or do they have UND in SOS as well? I'm only asking due to the NCAA national committee's interesting decision to lower our seed from 2 to 3.

Frankly, based on the poor attendance at the Winona State game, the fans don't deserve a home playoff game. 5000 and change was pathetic. Where were the students and where were the people of Grand Forks? That alone should have been enough to fill the Alerus. There have been too many playoff games in GF in the last few years where the attendance has been poor. Any thing less than 12000 is not acceptable for a team that is planning to move up a division. The team deserves a home game but until the community of GF/EGF appreciates the economic impact of a home playoff game and works to get the Alerus filled I can't whine when we get screwed by the NCAA. I wouldn't be mistaken for a Bison fan but they get the seats filled for the big games.

I was there but didn't like the fact that my $$$ went to the NC$$. I was told that all play-off $$ goes to the NC$$. :D And that the Al get's what the vendors sell. Was I miss informed? :lol:

Are you saying UNA would host based solely on the 2 seed this year? Or do they have UND in SOS as well? I'm only asking due to the NCAA national committee's interesting decision to lower our seed from 2 to 3.

Honestly, I don't know all of the criteria. For all I know, they could actually use reverse alphabetical order by the player who is listed as #77 on the roster. The NCAA has their own rules and don't even follow them all the time.

One would assume that a 3 would travel to play a 2, as a 2 would travel to play a 1.

SOS was calc'd so much differently this year that I'm not sure they'd be a lot different. UND has 1 loss, while UNA 0 (thusfar, of course).

For all I know, they could actually use reverse alphabetical order by the player who is listed as #77 on the roster.

Now ya did it: Ya gave up the secret seeding formula!

The NCAA has their own rules and don't even follow them all the time.

You don't need to tell that to Fighting Sioux fans.

if Delta State wins (a #5 seed in the SE region)....UND WILL HOST!!!! That's the best part!!! :D:lol:??? Interested in coming to the AL for playoff game #10??? :0;)

I don't think that's entirely correct. UND is not guaranteed to host anymore games. Just because we are a higher seed doesn't guarantee us that luxury. Once you get to the National Semi's in D-2 football, you can throw all logic out the window when the NCAA determines which team gets to host. Like someone brought up, the UND-North Alabama game of 2001. How the #1 or #2 ranked team has to travel in the National Semi's is still a mystery to me. I don't care that we could have potentially generated more money than North Alabama, that was extremely unfair for them.

I don't think that's entirely correct. UND is not guaranteed to host anymore games. Just because we are a higher seed doesn't guarantee us that luxury. Once you get to the National Semi's in D-2 football, you can throw all logic out the window when the NCAA determines which team gets to host. Like someone brought up, the UND-North Alabama game of 2001. How the #1 or #2 ranked team has to travel in the National Semi's is still a mystery to me. I don't care that we could have potentially generated more money than North Alabama, that was extremely unfair for them.

That was a case of two number one seeds. National rankings play no role whatsover. I can understand why UNA fans were upset with the manner in which strength of schedule was calculated back then (games against I-AA's killed you), but it wasn't a matter of a lower seed hosting a higher seed. I agree that such a scenario COULD theoretically happen, although it would probably have to be due to the higher seed having an unplayable field, or an inability to meet the required guarantee to the NCAA. I wouldn't expect any favors from the NCAA if UND were bidding against an identical seed, but I really don't think they would be able to turn down a UND bid in favor of a lower seed's bid considering there would be no problems for UND having an adequate facility or a large enough guarantee. If not enough people showed up, UND would just have to pony up for the difference between the guarantee and the actual gate.

That was a case of two number one seeds. National rankings play no role whatsover. I can understand why UNA fans were upset with the manner in which strength of schedule was calculated back then (games against I-AA's killed you), but it wasn't a matter of a lower seed hosting a higher seed. I agree that such a scenario COULD theoretically happen, although it would probably have to be due to the higher seed having an unplayable field, or an inability to meet the required guarantee to the NCAA. I wouldn't expect any favors from the NCAA if UND were bidding against an identical seed, but I really don't think they would be able to turn down a UND bid in favor of a lower seed's bid considering there would be no problems for UND having an adequate facility or a large enough guarantee. If not enough people showed up, UND would just have to pony up for the difference between the guarantee and the actual gate.

I didn't mean to make it sound like the national rankings play a role in the selection of the host site. I was just stating the obvious. If you are a top 2 team, you should get to host. Regardless of regional rankings. That was my point. I understand that they both were #1 seeds in their respective regions, but where do you go from there? You have to look at something. It always comes down to money. Let's say UND and GVSU were playing in the national semi's, and GVSU is clearly the number 1 team in the country right now, are you honestly going to send them on the road because they might not draw as much money compared to UND for your company(NCAA)? If that's what is actually happening, then it's rediculous IMO. What does the regular season mean then? Just be good enough to get into the play-offs and then rely on your home attendance drawing power to gain home-field?

I didn't mean to make it sound like the national rankings play a role in the selection of the host site. I was just stating the obvious. If you are a top 2 team, you should get to host. Regardless of regional rankings. That was my point. I understand that they both were #1 seeds in their respective regions, but where do you go from there? You have to look at something. It always comes down to money. Let's say UND and GVSU were playing in the national semi's, and GVSU is clearly the number 1 team in the country right now, are you honestly going to send them on the road because they might not draw as much money compared to UND for your company(NCAA)? If that's what is actually happening, then it's rediculous IMO. What does the regular season mean then? Just be good enough to get into the play-offs and then rely on your home attendance drawing power to gain home-field?

I understand what you're saying, but to me, the only really difficult decision the NCAA would have to make would be in a GVSU-UNA semi final matchup. Both would be undefeated, and would seem to have an equal claim to the right to host. The other potential matchups would seem to be pretty clear cut (the NE travels to the SW no matter what; UND would go to UNA or host Delta; GVSU would host Delta).

I will guarantee you that NCAA will never award us another home game no matter what or who we play. There's no sense even worrying about it. We are going to have our hands full with Grand Valley. I would love to be playing a road game anywhere a week from Saturday. Go Sioux.

I will guarantee you that NCAA will never award us another home game no matter what or who we play. There's no sense even worrying about it. We are going to have our hands full with Grand Valley. I would love to be playing a road game anywhere a week from Saturday. Go Sioux.

I realize the odds of BOTH UND and Delta State winning are not great, but I honestly believe UND would host in that circumstance. The site selection criteria set out in the dII football handbook are pretty clear. If the NCAA did award Delta the right to host in that circumstance, I believe the NCAA would probably be found to be in contempt of court by Judge Jahnke.

I realize the odds of BOTH UND and Delta State winning are not great, but I honestly believe UND would host in that circumstance. The site selection criteria set out in the dII football handbook are pretty clear. If the NCAA did award Delta the right to host in that circumstance, I believe the NCAA would probably be found to be in contempt of court by Judge Jahnke.

Sultan's probably right though. If UND and DSU were to win out this weekend, the NCAA will probably do everything to make it look like it's not playing politics in letting DSU host that game. Would be pretty hard to site weather and field conditions, being that the Alerus is indoors and a compfy 72 degrees, while some of the NDSU faithfull will probably mention something about DSU's field being like Kitty litter I think.

If it wasn't for the fact that my beloved Lakers are playing you guys this weekend, I would be routing for you guys, just to stick it to Myles fat head. :silly:

Sultan's probably right though. If UND and DSU were to win out this weekend, the NCAA will probably do everything to make it look like it's not playing politics in letting DSU host that game. Would be pretty hard to site weather and field conditions, being that the Alerus is indoors and a compfy 72 degrees, while some of the NDSU faithfull will probably mention something about DSU's field being like Kitty litter I think.

If it wasn't for the fact that my beloved Lakers are playing you guys this weekend, I would be routing for you guys, just to stick it to Myles fat head. :silly:

The criteria for hosting in the semi's are the same as the criteria for hosting in the first round--it's just complicated by the fact that you could conceivably have two identical seeds bidding against each other. In any event, since the NCAA awarded UND the right to host a 6 seed (Winona State), I see no reason they wouldn't award UND the right to host a 5 seed (Delta State). I'm one of the few who still doesn't believe that dropping UND from a 2 to a 3 seed was the result of some sort of conspiracy (although I did think so immediately after it happened). I've been following these selection committees long enough to know that they are more than capable of making bizarre decisions even in situations where the victim school is not feuding with the NCAA.