SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the South/North game tonight South rolls to another win 9-3 as noted earlier. My initial question before the game was - Will North score in this game? I would not have expected 3 goals against the goalie that most people consider the best in the state. It was a game of penalties which seems to be the continual theme this season. South scored two early in the first period on a 5 on 3 and then 5 on 4. Credit North for getting back into it 2-1 but South answered back maybe within 10-20 seconds to make it 3-1. Not sure how it went from there exactly although the score was 4-2 and then 4-3 before South jumped out to a 6-3 lead. As noted earlier, the 5 minute major against South resulted in 2 short handed goals being scored against North. With their depth problems it was difficult to keep a consistent attack against south even with a man advantage. South has very good speed and some excellent size. North does not have the personnel to match South but put up a good game for two periods. I am not sure that it is at all accurate to say that South dominated the game - especially with three goals against them in two periods. Clearly, they have a very nice team again and, as expected, they won.

Regarding the earlier question of who scored for South - Graalum had the hat trick, Ian Powers had 2, Alex Hooey had one, Doeden had one or two, I think McDougall and Wurden also each had one. That adds up to 10 so I am off one somewhere - maybe Doeden only had one.

Regarding the South/North game tonight South rolls to another win 9-3 as noted earlier. My initial question before the game was - Will North score in this game? I would not have expected 3 goals against the goalie that most people consider the best in the state. It was a game of penalties which seems to be the continual theme this season. South scored two early in the first period on a 5 on 3 and then 5 on 4. Credit North for getting back into it 2-1 but South answered back maybe within 10-20 seconds to make it 3-1. Not sure how it went from there exactly although the score was 4-2 and then 4-3 before South jumped out to a 6-3 lead. As noted earlier, the 5 minute major against South resulted in 2 short handed goals being scored against North. With their depth problems it was difficult to keep a consistent attack against south even with a man advantage. South has very good speed and some excellent size. North does not have the personnel to match South but put up a good game for two periods. I am not sure that it is at all accurate to say that South dominated the game - especially with three goals against them in two periods. Clearly, they have a very nice team again and, as expected, they won.

If I remember correctly, North's first 2 goals came from their first line against South's third. It didn't appear south was trying to match lines, even though they had the last change. Since North's first line is easily their most dangerous, one would think South would concentrate on shutting them down. Just a thought.

Red River squeaked out a 3-2 victory...I have no other information on the game but I will post when I find out more. The game was in Grand Forks.

I just got a little information on the Red River game. Eric Meland scored all three goals for Red River. Red River controlled the play for most of the game with West Fargo goalie Kirby Keller making somwhere near 35 saves. Apparently both of West Fargos goals were ones that Pat Arnason would like to have back. I was told that Red River did not play a bad game but rather West Fargo surprised a lot of people there with their level of play.

If I remember correctly, North's first 2 goals came from their first line against South's third. It didn't appear south was trying to match lines, even though they had the last change. Since North's first line is easily their most dangerous, one would think South would concentrate on shutting them down. Just a thought.

Wasn't one of North's first goals on powerplay? Did south really put their 3rd line out for penalty kill?

Wasn't one of North's first goals on powerplay? Did south really put their 3rd line out for penalty kill?

One of the first two goals by North was on a power play. I did not notice the line combinations for either team but I would expect South would have their first or second out. Can't say one way or the other.

I could be mistaken, might have been one of the first 2 and the third, but I do recall thinking why did they have the third line out against North's first. Not sure

I could be mistaken, might have been one of the first 2 and the third, but I do recall thinking why did they have the third line out against North's first. Not sure

I doubt that Dean Wilson would be risking anything early in a game - by not played his top two lines on the penalty kill. Typically he runs his top dogs as often and as long as he can.

I doubt that Dean Wilson would be risking anything early in a game - by not played his top two lines on the penalty kill. Typically he runs his top dogs as often and as long as he can.

Who netted North's goals?

Where would you put north now on the rankings? 3rd, 4th, 5th?

You're probably right. He only uses the top two lines for specialty teams, so I was mistaken with the powerplay goal. Sorry.

Who netted North's goals?

Where would you put north now on the rankings? 3rd, 4th, 5th?

North's goals - Tanner Bombenger, and Matt Labernik - not sure who got the third. This ranking thing is tough this year because I think we will be seeing a different level of play after 10-12 games and some teams may improve more than others. I think the key here, too, for many teams is the level of improvement in their goalies and to some extent their defense. There are several goalies who need tons of work and the ones that respond can really help their teams improve in the standings. Regarding rankings in the East, clearly South is #1 and Red River is #2. I like Grafton as #3 even though North beat them. I have not seen Devils Lake play so it is hard to judge other than based on comparative scores which is a very dangerous activity. In my pre-season profile I thought Central would struggle but improve as the season goes on. With their current situation it will be hard to say how things will go. For all teams senior leadership and character are critical and so is the leadership of the coaching staff. It should be interesting to see how things develop in January. Back to your rankings question - Devils Lake beat Minot twice (hard to say what that means this year) and only lost to Grafton by one goal at home. After Grafton in third I think Devils Lake and North would be put in a tie for fourth although on paper, going into the season, I liked the way Devils Lake profiled out. Obviously it would be easier to judge if they had played a game. The key in the east is improvement and obviously getting that seed into the state tournament. Should be a dog fight in the middle, as usual.

Its upsetting to read of the possibility that Alex Simonson quit Central's hockey team. Could anybody who knows the truth about whether he did or not please shed some light for me. When I went to school at UND I got to know him a little bit playing outdoor hockey by the rink near where he lived (I think its called riverside or something like that). Back then I could tell he was going to be a special hockey player, and for a kid who was always out there playing to quit is pretty upsetting.

At least I hope he has some other options... :angry:

Its upsetting to read of the possibility that Alex Simonson quit Central's hockey team. Could anybody who knows the truth about whether he did or not please shed some light for me. When I went to school at UND I got to know him a little bit playing outdoor hockey by the rink near where he lived (I think its called riverside or something like that). Back then I could tell he was going to be a special hockey player, and for a kid who was always out there playing to quit is pretty upsetting.

At least I hope he has some other options... :angry:

He definately quit but thas all I know

Simo quit the team because of Central coach Bina I guess Simo didnt like him to much. Ive heard rumors going around that either he will transfer to RR to play or something about going to the Jets. That is all I know for now but I will keep you posted when I hear more.

Hum? well he wasn't able to hop on with the jets before the season, but now after he has served a suspension and decided to quit his team he is suddenly appealling to the jets this doesn't make much sense to me?

I think we can put that rumor to rest.

North let in nine tonight I hear. O whata shock.

It is sad that Simonson quit because he is a very good player but it shouldnt effect central to much he wasnt doing very much for the team this year. I say RR and Fargo South in the championship game again. Even though I am from RR I am not sure who will win it this year Fargo is a very good team. Red River with Eric Meland, Russel Crary, Ryan Ladouceur and Jarret Galbreath but then South having Powers, Wurder and Deichert it will be a close game I cant wait.

Hum? well he wasn't able to hop on with the jets before the season, but now after he has served a suspension and decided to quit his team he is suddenly appealling to the jets this doesn't make much sense to me?

I think we can put that rumor to rest.

North let in nine tonight I hear. O whata shock.

Simo playing for the Jets was just a rumor I had heard comming from people from Central so I am not sure how that got about. I will talk to Simo personally and ask him whats going on.

it seems like all GF players leave eayly. wtf are we just a ahockey town or whtat we only got 50,000 peoplne comapre\ted to fargo 200,000 people

Well if you mean by leaving early, quitting your high school team then playing no where for a year, then yea GF players leave early.

When was the last time a GF player left early to play juniors besides a lamaroux and Ryan P?

Fargo has around 110,000 people.

I'll take it you will have no response to this.

Danny Wurden had two goals for South and in my opinion was the best player on the ice. The checking from behind was ugly. When the North player was hit I had to turn and look away, fearing what may have happend to him. The first thing I said is I hope he gets more than a game for a play like that. Sometimes in the intensity of the game it happens on accident, but plays like that have no place in the game of hockey. I thought it was one of the worst checking from behinds I had ever seen in my life. Just my opinion. South was just too big, too strong, too fast to keep up with for the entire game. North did keep it interesting for a while though.

The 2005 Census estimate has Fargo at 90,672. Of course the population size comparison makes no sense at all because if success in hockey was based on population size then the US with around 300 million people would have more players in the NHL than Canada at 33 million people. The same holds for Warroad (1,700), Roseau (2,814), Grafton (4,267), and many other small communities that have proportionately more quality players than larger communities. Climate, history, culture etc explain why some areas are better than others in particular sports.

I'm a little shocked that this hasn't been talked about on here yet, but last night the unthinkable happened. Shanley scored!!! Not once, not twice, not even the juggernautic number 4, your Deacons buried 6 in a statement game vs. Wahpeton. The infamous winless season talk is now a thing of the past, I believe this is where our season turns around. Looking at the standings we are right sitting comfortably ahead of West Fargo and Wahpeton, so if the season ended today Shanley would be guaranteed a spot in the EDC tournament!

Now in all seriousness I realize this win over Wahp. won't be a turning point, but still it was good to see these guys score, for a while there I thought not only would we go winless, but I also believed we would be the first team to be shutout for an entire season. I was glad to see Shanley win last night and I just hope these kids continue to improve.

In other EDC action I believe South made a statement last night with a 6 goal win in a rivalry game against a team in Fargo North who came in undefeated. Because of South's win and a sub par Red River performance against WF I believe South is officially in a league of their own. After that I see a mess between Red River, GPR, DL, and Fargo North. I'm really liking how this EDC is shaping out this year, the conference isn't as talented as the years past, but this is the most competitive I've seen it in quite some time. For once we aren't all sure that Red River, Central, South and Grafton are guaranteed spots. We could very easily see South, RR, DL, North or South, GPR, RR, DL. This is a year come region tournament time that will be very fun to watch play out.