SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

How can you say no players in North dakota will even get to 40 points when players like Eric Meland from RR,Kyle Everson from DL and Zac Welding from J-town are still around. Everson has 2 hat tricks in his first 2 games and probably will have a 3rd coming up on thursday against Shanley. Welding had 4 goals and a assist in his first game alone. On top of that, Welding will be playing in the west which will make his points even easier. I would guess Welding with atleast 50-60 points figureing every pass his team makes is to him. They look for every shot to be off his stick. But don't get me wrong, you cant judge his skills by his points. He never backchecks and it shows. In DL the 2 centers welding was matched up with scored 3 and 2 goals. But yes i agree with everyone when they say OVERALL the states skills are down.

I would have to predict GPR over North. Graftons fowards will overwhelm north. I think if GPR were to have the worst D and goalie in the state they would still come away with a win over north. GPR's fowards will run over their fowards then fly by their D all night. I predict 6-1 GPR.

DL and Shanley thursday. Shanley is way down and DL is already better than they were last season. DL has a solid goalie and 2 very fast and impressive lines. THeir 3rd is shaky at times but they also seem to be able to get things done. In my opinion i think DL overall has the best D in the state. RR's 2 starting D are not comparable but DL has 4 strong smart and fast D. Shanley doesnt have much of anything but a lot of non-experienced sophmores. Shanley is building a team for next season. DL played with South last year at state and these are all the same kids but now they are better. May i remind you all of DL's goals scored at state were sohpmores, and one called off in the south game was also a soph. These kids will run with south and RR but will fall short. NO doubt will they suprise every team they play all season. 3rd in EDC. Thursday I predict DL 9-0 over shanley.

my take on south grafton is that souths first line neutralized graftons first line and made them look terrible as a poster said, south first line did not score much but kept them in check. so the difference was the the depth that south has over grafton which had the 2nd and third line scoring. a 6-2 victory is still a win and a convincing one at that so give a little credit to south since i think grafton still is the third best team in the state.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was driving home from work today I heard on the radio about the passing of Jeff Gustafson (sp) the coach of the Hazen-Beulah North Stars after a two year battle with cancer. I think he'll be forever remembered for the work he did with the young hockey program, and hockey in general in that part of North Dakota. Those who constantly rip on the west region and new programs in the state downplay the work that guys like him do in trying to build and spread the great sport of hockey.

I know he's got some young kids too. My prayers are with the family... :silly:

I know nobody cares about the West, especially the bottom half, but Bottineau will not be the bottom team in the West this year. More depth than usual (even have a JV team) and will surprise a few people. Look for them to finish at least 6th. Herbel kid was not on the team last year and is a heck of a skater.

How can you say no players in North dakota will even get to 40 points when players like Eric Meland from RR,Kyle Everson from DL and Zac Welding from J-town are still around. Everson has 2 hat tricks in his first 2 games and probably will have a 3rd coming up on thursday against Shanley. Welding had 4 goals and a assist in his first game alone. On top of that, Welding will be playing in the west which will make his points even easier. I would guess Welding with atleast 50-60 points figureing every pass his team makes is to him. They look for every shot to be off his stick. But don't get me wrong, you cant judge his skills by his points. He never backchecks and it shows. In DL the 2 centers welding was matched up with scored 3 and 2 goals. But yes i agree with everyone when they say OVERALL the states skills are down.

I would have to predict GPR over North. Graftons fowards will overwhelm north. I think if GPR were to have the worst D and goalie in the state they would still come away with a win over north. GPR's fowards will run over their fowards then fly by their D all night. I predict 6-1 GPR.

DL and Shanley thursday. Shanley is way down and DL is already better than they were last season. DL has a solid goalie and 2 very fast and impressive lines. THeir 3rd is shaky at times but they also seem to be able to get things done. In my opinion i think DL overall has the best D in the state. RR's 2 starting D are not comparable but DL has 4 strong smart and fast D. Shanley doesnt have much of anything but a lot of non-experienced sophmores. Shanley is building a team for next season. DL played with South last year at state and these are all the same kids but now they are better. May i remind you all of DL's goals scored at state were sohpmores, and one called off in the south game was also a soph. These kids will run with south and RR but will fall short. NO doubt will they suprise every team they play all season. 3rd in EDC. Thursday I predict DL 9-0 over shanley.

No one said that.

I think quite a few people would agree with me and saying that South has some good, big Defenseman. South has Wurden, Metz, Dawson, and Wagner for their 4 big Defenseman. Yes Wagner and Dawson are nothing special, but they are big and hard to get around especially at the Coliseum. You can't tell me that Wurden and Metz aren't good. I wasn't stating they had just amazing defense, but more that they were big and 2 of them were good players. I know Central is always a good team come tournament time but I saw them play Shanley and they struggled for a while. Central does have a good goalie but no depth anywhere else. Simonson is a good scoring punch but most teams will just key on him if he is all they have. If they can prove me wrong, more power to them. Sorry for my lack of credibility. I will let you handle all of the Central talk from here.

In regards to south's defense, I'm pretty sure you're a ways off. Dawson doesn't play much and is very small in comparison to South's other defense. Trevor Anderson is the other defense. And as for two of them being 'good players', I'd be willing to state Danny Wurden is the best skater in the state. Wurden and Wagner each had a 2 or 3 point game against Grafton and Anderson and Metz also made an impact on the score. My opinion of Wurden is based only off his elite weekend in Grand Forks, however, and he did get a lot of ice time and do well enough to make the final team. They may not be as strong as Red River's duo, but those two can't be on the ice every minute of the game.

You give up 5 at home to Jtown and you think your D are the best. When is the last time Jtown scored 5 in a EDC game that wasn't against Wahpteton? 5 or 6 years ago? DL will finish 5th or 6th.

I believe it was NDPride that posted that.

Regarding rosters, I do not have my rulebook handy on juniors but rosters are in flux. Roster sizes change based on the date and there are trades, etc during the year. For example, the USNTDP Junior team that plays in the NAHL has 45 players listed on Pointstreak. Other NAHL teams have variable numbers at this time. I did post that he is working out with the Jets and has done so for the past week.

2004-2005 - JHS scored 7 against West Fargo, 9 and 7 against Shanley respectively

I think the point NDM49 was trying to make was that Jamestown doesn't put up more than 3 a game on the big 4 which is the class everyone is putting DL in. But I would hold my remarks about a team that NDM49 obviously doesn't know much about until after I see them play their first few EDC games.

I think the point NDM49 was trying to make was that Jamestown doesn't put up more than 3 a game on the big 4 which is the class everyone is putting DL in. But I would hold my remarks about a team that NDM49 obviously doesn't know much about until after I see them play their first few EDC games.

I know that DL graduated two defensemen that are playing junior A hockey. Alex Olsen is with Bismarck and Kenny Lybeck is with Dubuque. I would not trade Red Rivers D or Fargo Souths D for what DL has left on the blueline. If Jamestown can get 5 against DL, I bet South, Red River, and Grafton can too. We all know DL has talent but the other teams practice to.

I know that DL graduated two defensemen that are playing junior A hockey. Alex Olsen is with Bismarck and Kenny Lybeck is with Dubuque. I would not trade Red Rivers D or Fargo Souths D for what DL has left on the blueline. If Jamestown can get 5 against DL, I bet South, Red River, and Grafton can too. We all know DL has talent but the other teams practice to.

Dubuque is Junior B

In regards to the DL/Jamestown game - Jamestown got lucky. DL's goalie did not have a good night. Might have been first game jitters or the fact he was ran over 3 times during the game. Anyway he was again solid when playing Minot.

Wow if your watched the game Jamestown's goalie let in way more weak goals then DL's goalie, Jamestown's better goalie is ineligible right now, Tyler Lindberg, he was the goalie for Elite 2

Ok, to clear some stuff up.

DL doesn't have good defensemen. Jamestown isn't good. Any team that lets in 5 to Jamestown is flat out bad. Jamestowns better goalie is still bad. Elite 2 hockey is the equivelent of JV hockey. Kyle Everson will never play Junior A hockey. North is brutal. Grafton has shaky defenseman and a bad goaltender. The West is worse then ever. WF is terrible. Minot would lose to Whapeton.

Ok, to clear some stuff up.

DL doesn't have good defensemen. Jamestown isn't good. Any team that lets in 5 to Jamestown is flat out bad. Jamestowns better goalie is still bad. Elite 2 hockey is the equivelent of JV hockey. Kyle Everson will never play Junior A hockey. North is brutal. Grafton has shaky defenseman and a bad goaltender. The West is worse then ever. WF is terrible. Minot would lose to Whapeton.

Well i would have to say thats a pretty good sum up of what has been talked about the last couple days.