SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

South beat Grafton 6-2 tonight. It seemed like South was a little shaky in the first period, but after that settled down and played like everyone thought they would. Grafton played pretty well too, but they do have some goalie issues. Otherwise their forwards seemed to move the puck well and they did kill off most of the penalties and two 5-3 situations. Overall I would say South was the better team tonight, but both will be solid teams in the east this year.

I attended my first high school hockey game in the John E Carlson Colisium, I guess that's one good thing about going to Concordia lots of hockey to see Jets, Cobbers, HS.

You can tell GPR is down this year... They have poor goaltending and shaky defensman. They are deep upfront but they have trouble breaking the puck out. South looked alittle shaky at times also, They showed signs of losing all of those seniors also, Their goalie played very well, He made alot of very nice saves or this game could have been much closer.

As expected the state looks to be down this year, with only 3 juniors returning from the top 25 in scoring last year.

Are any teams not down from last year except Wahpeton and Devils Lake and Central?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central seems to have a down year talent wise but Bina is a solid coach that will not allow the team to be less than middle of the pack.

They didnt lose any talent last year, I think they will surprise teams towards the end of the year.

I attended my first high school hockey game in the John E Carlson Colisium, I guess that's one good thing about going to Concordia lots of hockey to see Jets, Cobbers, HS.

You can tell GPR is down this year... They have poor goaltending and shaky defensman. They are deep upfront but they have trouble breaking the puck out. South looked alittle shaky at times also, They showed signs of losing all of those seniors also, Their goalie played very well, He made alot of very nice saves or this game could have been much closer.

As expected the state looks to be down this year, with only 3 juniors returning from the top 25 in scoring last year.

Are any teams not down from last year except Wahpeton and Devils Lake?

I believe the state is down in general. Here is a look at some of the players that graduated last year that are playing at the next level.

Paul Weisgarber- USHL

Andy Dittus- USHL

Tyler Jundt- USHL

Erick Galt- USHL/NAHL

Marc Mihulka-NAHL

Marc Harrie- NAHL

Grant Larson- NAHL

Alex Olson- NAHL

Adam Campbell- Concordia

Nick Klenow- I hear he's playing, where?

Then dynamic forwards Thomas and Paul Campbell, Ross Monson, and Justin Connell. Eli Rosendahl also graduated who was an able bodied goaltender to say the least for GFRR last season. Grafton also graduated a very good (maybe off the wall, but good) goaltender in Tony Kringstad. Fargo North graduated there starting goaltender in Justin Welk. Many teams lost many key players.

These are just some of the big names from last season. Other players who may have been talented enough to move on in hockey chose to hang up the skates last season as well. I do not believe there will be 10 players from this years senior class who will be able to fill that many spots in the Junior ranks.

With the first couple games in the books...I think we should reinstate a prediction for the end of the year standings...

Here are my new picks:

East

1 - GFRR

2 - Fargo South

3 - GF Central

4 - GPR

5 - Fargo North

6 - Devils Lake

7 - West Fargo

8 - Fargo Shanley

9 - Wahpeton

West

1 - Bismarck

2 - Williston

3 - Bismarck Century

4 - Minot

5 - Dickinson

6 - Jamestown

7 - Mandan

8 - Hazen

9 - Bottineau

My picks are probably way off...anybody have any other new ideas of how it will end up

i dont know where klenow is playing but...

Kringstad is playing for Quad City in Junior B's

Peter Jerome of DL is playing for Crookston...I think there was another ND boy there too...

That's all I know for now...

The other player you would be talking about is former GFRR defensemen Matt Marchel. Also Clark Dingman of Bismarck High also plays at Crookston.

With the first couple games in the books...I think we should reinstate a prediction for the end of the year standings...

Here are my new picks:

East

1 - GFRR

2 - Fargo South

3 - GF Central

4 - GPR

5 - Fargo North

6 - Devils Lake

7 - West Fargo

8 - Fargo Shanley

9 - Wahpeton

West

1 - Bismarck

2 - Williston

3 - Bismarck Century

4 - Minot

5 - Dickinson

6 - Jamestown

7 - Mandan

8 - Hazen

9 - Bottineau

My picks are probably way off...anybody have any other new ideas of how it will end up

Are any teams not down from last year except Wahpeton and Devils Lake and Central?

You can tell GPR is down this year? I dont see how you can say that. It was the first game of the season. I was at the game and I saw both teams shaky, Diechart had a good game, and from what I saw the refs were looking more for Grafton to take a penalty than South. Grafton has 11 sophmores on the team who haven't played a varsity game before and as the season goes on I see them improving to be a tough team to beat.

I believe the state is down in general. Here is a look at some of the players that graduated last year that are playing at the next level.

Paul Weisgarber- USHL

Andy Dittus- USHL

Tyler Jundt- USHL

Erick Galt- USHL/NAHL

Marc Mihulka-NAHL

Marc Harrie- NAHL

Grant Larson- NAHL

Alex Olson- NAHL

Adam Campbell- Concordia

Then dynamic forwards Thomas and Paul Campbell, Ross Monson, and Justin Connell. Eli Rosendahl also graduated who was an able bodied goaltender to say the least for GFRR last season. Grafton also graduated a very good (maybe off the wall, but good) goaltender in Tony Kringstad. Fargo North graduated there starting goaltender in Justin Welk. Many teams lost many key players.

These are just some of the big names from last season. Other players who may have been talented enough to move on in hockey chose to hang up the skates last season as well. I do not believe there will be 10 players from this years senior class who will be able to fill that many spots in the Junior ranks.

Josh Ramberg from Fargo South is playing for Augsburg of the MIAC. Klenow is working out with the Jets.

Paul Weisgarber- USHL

Andy Dittus- USHL

Tyler Jundt- USHL

Erick Galt- USHL/NAHL

Marc Mihulka-NAHL

Marc Harrie- NAHL

Grant Larson- NAHL

Alex Olson- NAHL

Adam Campbell- Concordia

Jake Delisle who was a defenseman for Red River last year is also still playing. He is playing for the Junior B St. Malo Warriors of the KJHL. Besides this, Matt Marchell was also off to a great start with the UofM Crookston before re-injuring his back a couple weeks ago. He may need to have a minor surgery on it if no improvement is shown in the next few days.

You can tell GPR is down this year? I dont see how you can say that. It was the first game of the season. I was at the game and I saw both teams shaky, Diechart had a good game, and from what I saw the refs were looking more for Grafton to take a penalty than South. Grafton has 11 sophmores on the team who haven't played a varsity game before and as the season goes on I see them improving to be a tough team to beat.

I was also at the GPR South game last night. Grafton is definately not down this year but they do have a few week points on their team. In the first period their goalie looked decent and he managed to make the saves. Grafton's D isn't the greatest but they are a very young, as is the whole team. Grafton seemed to take a lot more penalties than South but Grafton seemed to kill off many of them including two 5 on 3s. Graftons top 2 lines are very fast and will produce many goals. On the other hand, South is very big and they have good defenseman. South's powerplay seemed a little shaky at first but as Grafton kept taking penalties South's powerplay looked better. South will be a very good team this year and I look forward to seeing these two teams play again.

Also, Fargo North came out of this last weekend with 2 wins off of Bismarck High and Century. Aren't these two teams supposed to be 2 of the top teams in the West this year. Yes, I know it's the West, but still a couple of good wins to get the Spartans going. I think North will definately battle with Devils Lake for that 4th spot in the East. How does everyone think the game will go with North and GPR on Thursday?

I was also at the GPR South game last night. Grafton is definately not down this year but they do have a few week points on their team. In the first period their goalie looked decent and he managed to make the saves. Grafton's D isn't the greatest but they are a very young, as is the whole team. Grafton seemed to take a lot more penalties than South but Grafton seemed to kill off many of them including two 5 on 3s. Graftons top 2 lines are very fast and will produce many goals. On the other hand, South is very big and they have good defenseman. South's powerplay seemed a little shaky at first but as Grafton kept taking penalties South's powerplay looked better. South will be a very good team this year and I look forward to seeing these two teams play again.

Also, Fargo North came out of this last weekend with 2 wins off of Bismarck High and Century. Aren't these two teams supposed to be 2 of the top teams in the West this year. Yes, I know it's the West, but still a couple of good wins to get the Spartans going. I think North will definately battle with Devils Lake for that 4th spot in the East. How does everyone think the game will go with North and GPR on Thursday?

Ok I realize you are alittle biased so this might not due any good, but think about this you lost a large part of your offense (Campbell cousins), by Far your best and the only respectable defensman on the team last year in Andy Peterson, and your best goalie by a long shot. What are you just going to reload? I mean seriously if GPR isn't down I want to know what the definition of down is. GPR is soft in all aspects of defensive hockey. GPR will not be a factor with their goaltending and putred defense. South on the other hand has the Goaltending, They definatly have holes and their strength is not their defensmen only a moron would think that. If they are going to get it done it is all about their goalie. BTW north is brutal, they have a snowballs chance in hell of finishing ahead of my alma mater Central. If you had any credibility before that statement it is long gone now.

Ok I realize you are alittle biased so this might not due any good, but think about this you lost a large part of your offense (Campbell cousins), by Far your best and the only respectable defensman on the team last year in Andy Peterson, and your best goalie by a long shot. What are you just going to reload? I mean seriously if GPR isn't down I want to know what the definition of down is. GPR is soft in all aspects of defensive hockey. GPR will not be a factor with their goaltending and putred defense. South on the other hand has the Goaltending, They definatly have holes and their strength is not their defensmen only a moron would think that. If they are going to get it done it is all about their goalie. BTW north is brutal, they have a snowballs chance in hell of finishing ahead of my alma mater Central. If you had any credibility before that statement it is long gone now.

I think quite a few people would agree with me and saying that South has some good, big Defenseman. South has Wurden, Metz, Dawson, and Wagner for their 4 big Defenseman. Yes Wagner and Dawson are nothing special, but they are big and hard to get around especially at the Coliseum. You can't tell me that Wurden and Metz aren't good. I wasn't stating they had just amazing defense, but more that they were big and 2 of them were good players. I know Central is always a good team come tournament time but I saw them play Shanley and they struggled for a while. Central does have a good goalie but no depth anywhere else. Simonson is a good scoring punch but most teams will just key on him if he is all they have. If they can prove me wrong, more power to them. Sorry for my lack of credibility. I will let you handle all of the Central talk from here.

GPR isnt has bad as you think at D. Ryan Hills and Peterson looked good. Feltman got much better as the game went on Paulson and Mccann werent terrible. As far as reloading i think they proved they did reload last night. Being on penalty kill the whole game they still managed 22 shots that tied South. Both goals by GPR were made by sophmores. There best line was there sophmore line. Miller and Tanner Hills had terrible games and will get it going soon and will put up nice numbers. And yeah Sand let in a couple not so good goals but also made so really big saves he will only get better. GPR dressed something like 11 sophmores and what did South have one i think. Again shots 22-22. Just give it time..

GPR isnt has bad as you think at D. Ryan Hills and Peterson looked good. Feltman got much better as the game went on Paulson and Mccann werent terrible. As far as reloading i think they proved they did reload last night. Being on penalty kill the whole game they still managed 22 shots that tied South. Both goals by GPR were made by sophmores. There best line was there sophmore line. Miller and Tanner Hills had terrible games and will get it going soon and will put up nice numbers. And yeah Sand let in a couple not so good goals but also made so really big saves he will only get better. GPR dressed something like 11 sophmores and what did South have one i think. Again shots 22-22. Just give it time..

A couple not so good goals? What game were you watching?

O, sorry they did reload. I mean their team sprung right back to where it ended last year. Their offense is down their Defense is down and their goaltending is way down. What makes you think the reloaded?

I think North is going to be outmatched in most aspects of the game on thursday. GPR has 2 lines at least that get up and down the ice very well and they are always crafty and move the puck well. Neither team has a goalie so that factor cancels out. Also from what I hear Grafton was very physical with South last night. Is this true? That hasn't been typical from Grafton in the past few years. My prediction is 6-2 in favor of the Spoilers.

Comparatively this year of high school hockey has significantly less talent than years passed. There are no players like Jake Marto, Jordan Willert or Rody Selk who played two years ago. Grand Forks Red River has two defenseman who are very good but nothing like Marto. Jordan Willert was in the USHL all-star game last season and I do not believe there are any players of that caliber playing in ND right now. Because the state is down and the new rule changes I believe point totals will be huge. I think if you get 30 or 40 points this year, you would probably get a little more than half of that in previous years. What does everyone else think?

A couple not so good goals? What game were you watching?

O, sorry they did reload. I mean their team sprung right back to where it ended last year. Their offense is down their Defense is down and their goaltending is way down. What makes you think the reloaded?

No they dont have a 60 point guy this year but they do have about 6 or 7 guys that will score 30 or more points. And if you were watching the South GPR game you would have noticed that 5 on 5 GPR had an edge and how could you say they werent nice goals. a one timer and a top shelf backhand. come on buddy..

I think North is going to be outmatched in most aspects of the game on thursday. GPR has 2 lines at least that get up and down the ice very well and they are always crafty and move the puck well. Neither team has a goalie so that factor cancels out. Also from what I hear Grafton was very physical with South last night. Is this true? That hasn't been typical from Grafton in the past few years.My prediction is 6-2 in favor of the Spoilers.

Comparatively this year of high school hockey has significantly less talent than years passed. There are no players like Jake Marto, Jordan Willert or Rody Selk who played two years ago. Grand Forks Red River has two defenseman who are very good but nothing like Marto. Jordan Willert was in the USHL all-star game last season and I do not believe there are any players of that caliber playing in ND right now. Because the state is down and the new rule changes I believe point totals will be huge. I think if you get 30 or 40 points this year, you would probably get a little more than half of that in previous years. What does everyone else think?

I agree with that prediction maybe even worse. GPR has to much firepower up front for North to handle. And from what I see North doesn't have much scoring ability at all. GPR 7-2.

No they dont have a 60 point guy this year but they do have about 6 or 7 guys that will score 30 or more points. And if you were watching the South GPR game you would have noticed that 5 on 5 GPR had an edge and how could you say they werent nice goals. a one timer and a top shelf backhand. come on buddy..

You could be the stupidest person on this board. READ YOUR POST what do you think I was refering to. GPR's goals or SOUTH"S goals. Please apoligize to all of us.

You could be the stupidest person on this board. READ YOUR POST what do you think I was refering to. GPR's goals or SOUTH"S goals. Please apoligize to all of us.

Your a little defensive. I thought you were saying GPR's goals werent so good. I just dont see how you can say that GPR is down. Cause of the loss of four players did you see how good Mohagen Demers Hills Boyle Gaustad played. Everyone of these players will amaze people by Feb.

How can you say no players in North dakota will even get to 40 points when players like Eric Meland from RR,Kyle Everson from DL and Zac Welding from J-town are still around. Everson has 2 hat tricks in his first 2 games and probably will have a 3rd coming up on thursday against Shanley. Welding had 4 goals and a assist in his first game alone. On top of that, Welding will be playing in the west which will make his points even easier. I would guess Welding with atleast 50-60 points figureing every pass his team makes is to him. They look for every shot to be off his stick. But don't get me wrong, you cant judge his skills by his points. He never backchecks and it shows. In DL the 2 centers welding was matched up with scored 3 and 2 goals. But yes i agree with everyone when they say OVERALL the states skills are down.

I would have to predict GPR over North. Graftons fowards will overwhelm north. I think if GPR were to have the worst D and goalie in the state they would still come away with a win over north. GPR's fowards will run over their fowards then fly by their D all night. I predict 6-1 GPR.

DL and Shanley thursday. Shanley is way down and DL is already better than they were last season. DL has a solid goalie and 2 very fast and impressive lines. THeir 3rd is shaky at times but they also seem to be able to get things done. In my opinion i think DL overall has the best D in the state. RR's 2 starting D are not comparable but DL has 4 strong smart and fast D. Shanley doesnt have much of anything but a lot of non-experienced sophmores. Shanley is building a team for next season. DL played with South last year at state and these are all the same kids but now they are better. May i remind you all of DL's goals scored at state were sohpmores, and one called off in the south game was also a soph. These kids will run with south and RR but will fall short. NO doubt will they suprise every team they play all season. 3rd in EDC. Thursday I predict DL 9-0 over shanley.