SiouxSports.com Forum

lamoreaux

kip

I can see where Hak has to be a little careful. He is trying to get his guys not to take bad penalties (especially with less experience in net). But when other teams start smelling blood in the water in the form of garbage goals and start throwing the puck on net and crashing (I would too), some bodies need to start flying. The crease rules have changed this year too, I think, which makes it even more important for us to own the crease and the area around it.

Hence the cross check to the back of the head the glove in the face maybe an occassional scrum.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also trust the coaching staff to put someone in net that isn't going to let in 17 goals in less then 11 periods against mankato and alaska anchorage, but I guess sometimes we shouldn't be so trusting.

So are you going to start the Fire Hakstol thread or is that neo guy going to from Friday night?

If Hakstol says Walski's not going to play, then I'll back Hakstol and to hell with everyone else.

Grieco's the #2 guy and, unless Hakstol says otherwise, I'm going to go with that and really, not pay any attention to what anyone else has to say.

So are you going to start the Fire Hakstol thread or is that neo guy going to from Friday night?

If Hakstol says Walski's not going to play, then I'll back Hakstol and to hell with everyone else.

Grieco's the #2 guy and, unless Hakstol says otherwise, I'm going to go with that and really, not pay any attention to what anyone else has to say.

Good point RED Wing. I suppose we could also go with the Deport Grieco and Start Walski thread just because he is from ND.

Good point RED Wing. I suppose we could also go with the Deport Grieco and Start Walski thread just because he is from ND.

He's also 22 and had some great years in the NAHL and "paid his dues" whatever that means.

I love the entitlement aspect to playing time. Oh, hell, Grieco had a better practice, but Walski is 22 and he's paid his dues so I think we'll start the North Dakota boy! :silly:

First off you probably want to watch your cussing on the board, this is a family board. :silly: Second, Grieco is comparable to Lamoreaux, look at the stats, they don't lie. fact is he is a Junior Goalie and not reliable. Grieco is a just as good as Lammy and he has made more saves and has played less miuntes, which probably mean in my opinion that the defense has been horrible and that they probably have been killing a lot of penatlies. Tony won against MSU-M a win is a win.

Youre right they don't lie here they are .......

.## Goaltending (Overall) | GP Minutes GA Saves Shots Save% GAA

1 Philippe Lamoureux JR | 6 356:21 15 134 149 .899 2.53

31 Anthony Grieco FR | 6 325:52 20 146 166 .880 3.68

30 Aaron Walski SO | 1 35:47 1 11 12 .917 1.68

He's also 22 and had some great years in the NAHL and "paid his dues" whatever that means.

I love the entitlement aspect to playing time. Oh, hell, Grieco had a better practice, but Walski is 22 and he's paid his dues so I think we'll start the North Dakota boy! :silly:

1.USHL not NAHL (lincoln stars)

2.oh hell Walski played better in the same game, but greico gets shelled consistently but lets start him again because hes 17 and he is not from North Dakota.

3. Let's start a "keep greico in until he let's in 8 goals in less then 5 periods to Alaska anchorage then give the next guy a chance who happens to be from north dakota" Thread.

Youre right they don't lie here they are .......

can we assume that your one of the ones that said that Phil was wronged last year and that he should have played over Jordy. I suppose you believe the reason Phil's brother didn't play here was because his parents were mad at the coaching staff for not starting Phil over Jordy?

Also, I suppose your in the camp that Walski is the man and need to be given a chance and that his team mates are saying that Walski is better than Grieco. What next after he is lit up worse than Phil and Grieco? Maybe our goalies can sue for non support during the past say oh probably 4 of 6 games. UAA should have never been allowed to shoot 30+ times last night.

1.USHL not NAHL (lincoln stars)

2.oh hell Walski played better in the same game, but greico gets shelled consistently but lets start him again because hes 17 and he is not from North Dakota.

3. Let's start a "keep greico in until he let's in 8 goals in less then 5 periods to Alaska anchorage then give the next guy a chance who happens to be from north dakota" Thread.

What are you Walski Drinking Buddy? Lets not forget the 72 save performance in the NDHSL tourney.

That enough to get him a start next weekend. Heck Maybe we can get a goalie to come in at X-mas and offer him a full scholarship? Does Josh Siembida have any elgibility left? Thinking of which Grieco's numbers are still better than Josh's.

What are you Walski Drinking Buddy? Lets not forget the 72 save performance in the NDHSL tourney.

That enough to get him a start next weekend. Heck Maybe we can get a goalie to come in at X-mas and offer him a full scholarship? Does Josh Siembida have any elgibility left? Thinking of which Grieco's numbers are still better than Josh's.

ONE of GOONS briliant posts:

"Second, Grieco is comparable to Lamoreaux, look at the stats, they don't lie. fact is he is a Junior Goalie and not reliable. Grieco is a just as good as Lammy and he has made more saves and has played less miuntes, which probably mean in my opinion that the defense has been horrible and that they probably have been killing a lot of penatlies. Tony won against MSU-M a win is a win. "

Alright goon here are the stats again...

30 Aaron Walski SO | 1 35:47 1 11 12 .917 1.68

Now that you've said stats don't lie. HAK shouldn't need any other reason to start someone else.

but I do see what your saying, I mean it's not like greico lets in over a goal more a game than Phil or anything like that. I'm adding your quote of "stats don't lie" to my profile.

We didn't get swept by AA because of our goaltending. We lost because our defense sucks and we can't score....period!

With the supposed fire power on this team, we should be averaging 4 goals per game or more. That stat should have been influenced heavily by playing a team like AA. The scores should have been reversed.

I'd say we can criticize pretty much everybody else (Hack and the rest of the coaching staff, our first round draft choices, the team captain, equipment manager, etc.) but not a D1 teen-ager in net.

We didn't get swept by AA because of our goaltending. We lost because our defense sucks and we can't score....period!

With the supposed fire power on this team, we should be averaging 4 goals per game or more. That stat should have been influenced heavily by playing a team like AA. The scores should have been reversed.

I'd say we can criticize pretty much everybody else (Hack and the rest of the coaching staff, our first round draft choices, the team captain, equipment manager, etc.) but not a D1 teen-ager in net.

So because he is a teenager he deserves to be able to play worse then everyone else? I'm missing the logic of why he should play just because he is 17. Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. The best player should play flat out.

So because he is a teenager he deserves to be able to play worse then everyone else? I'm missing the logic of why he should play just because he is 17. Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. The best player should play flat out.

I'm not defending any of our goaltenders. Quick frankly, they all kinda suck right now. My point is simply that we can't blame either of these losses on goaltending. I highly doubt that we should be banking on beating a team like AA by a margin of 2-1.

I know it's early but I don't think you can underestimate the loss of Brad Berry as coach of the defense. Seems like our sophmores are making more stupid mistakes then they did last year as freshman. It has been a long time since I remember the Sioux D listed as such a big area of concern.

Bottom line is that it is a long season. I am confident that Hakstol and the rest of the staff will have the Sioux ready for another run for #8 come March.

So can we put you down in the Walski Camp? :silly:

Just because one goalie looks better in practice does that automatically mean he's going to perform better in a game? This may be apples and oranges, but that certainly is not the case in youth hockey. One player might seem more technically sound, but maybe the other one responds better to the pressure of playing in an actual game that counts in the standings. It's called intangibles. Does that concept really change at the college level or even high school for that matter? Just asking. I do not claim to know the answer to that question.

Good question. But I doubt 1.5 periods and 11 saves on 12 shots is a good indicator. Especially when it didn't matter which goaltender was playing, we couldn't bury the puck.

And I believe we are talking about apples and oranges. Age and past teams do not necessarily speak to how good a goaltender is going to be at a certain level. Ask Josh Siembida. Practicing well doesn't necessarily equate to playing well either, but what else does the coach realistically have to draw upon? This is a question I have no answer to.

I'm not defending any of our goaltenders. Quick frankly, they all kinda suck right now. My point is simply that we can't blame either of these losses on goaltending. I highly doubt that we should be banking on beating a team like AA by a margin of 2-1.

Why can't we expect to win 2-1 games against AAU?? They traditionally have been one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, and that is typically how you beat them. This year, they scored only 2 or 3 against MSUM, Wisconsin and Tech. Plus, the Sioux have traditionally been a team that wins with defense. If we continue to give up goals against weak competition like MSUM (4 and 5) and AAU (6 and 4), we will be in serious trouble when we play teams with more offense like UM and DU. Whether it is goaltending, the defense, or the forwards not taking care of the defensive zone, UND needs to right that ship soon.

Why can't we expect to win 2-1 games against AAU?? They traditionally have been one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, and that is typically how you beat them. This year, they scored only 2 or 3 against MSUM, Wisconsin and Tech. Plus, the Sioux have traditionally been a team that wins with defense. If we continue to give up goals against weak competition like MSUM (4 and 5) and AAU (6 and 4), we will be in serious trouble when we play teams with more offense like UM and DU. Whether it is goaltending, the defense, or the forwards not taking care of the defensive zone, UND needs to right that ship soon.

Why? We're suppose to have all this high-powered talent for Gods Sake! AA has played 5 series so far this year. They gave up (goals) a series low of the year against the #3 team in the nation (4 goals). (tied with WI who has no offense) M.Tech scored 14 against them.

Don't you think we should have scored more than 4 goals against a team like AA or should they be ranked in the top 10? I can see us losing a game to AA 2-1, but if that were to happen, we should have had 45 shots on goal not 30.

We're seeing how important guys like Travis Zajac and Drew Stafford were to this team's offensive depth. Right now we do not have any scoring depth on our lines. That has to improve significantly for guys like Oshie and Toews to avoid the sophomore slump. I know we can turn it around but it hurts losing games we should win. That greatly reduces our chances of winning a WCHA title.

Why? We're suppose to have all this high-powered talent for Gods Sake! AA has played 5 series so far this year. They gave up (goals) a series low of the year against the #3 team in the nation (4 goals). (tied with WI who has no offense) M.Tech scored 14 against them.

Don't you think we should have scored more than 4 goals against a team like AA or should they be ranked in the top 10? I can see us losing a game to AA 2-1, but if that were to happen, we should have had 45 shots on goal not 30.

We're seeing how important guys like Travis Zajac and Drew Stafford were to this team's offensive depth. Right now we do not have any scoring depth on our lines. That has to improve significantly for guys like Oshie and Toews to avoid the sophomore slump. I know we can turn it around but it hurts losing games we should win. That greatly reduces our chances of winning a WCHA title.

I don't disagree that the offense is also not performing at a high level, but AAU has traditionally been difficult to score on because they play a trap and force their opponent to play dump and chase hockey (it hurts to even say that phrase). Additionally, good offense is generated by solid defense, particularly a transition game that the Sioux do not have right now. I also believe that this team can and will turn it around, but there is no way that they can win consistently if they are in shootouts. Ask Minnesota last year down the stretch (remember St. Cloud? :silly: )

I don't disagree that the offense is also not performing at a high level, but AAU has traditionally been difficult to score on because they play a trap and force their opponent to play dump and chase hockey (it hurts to even say that phrase).

Actually, I watched Saturdays game on the internet, I didn't see any of the trap your talking about, I saw a goalie standing on his head making saves.

I don't disagree that the offense is also not performing at a high level, but AAU has traditionally been difficult to score on because they play a trap and force their opponent to play dump and chase hockey (it hurts to even say that phrase). Additionally, good offense is generated by solid defense, particularly a transition game that the Sioux do not have right now. I also believe that this team can and will turn it around, but there is no way that they can win consistently if they are in shootouts. Ask Minnesota last year down the stretch (remember St. Cloud? :silly: )

Well if you mean by difficult to score on, letting in 9 goals to Michigan Tech a couple weeks ago. Then yes they are tough to score on.

Well if you mean by difficult to score on, letting in 9 goals to Michigan Tech a couple weeks ago. Then yes they are tough to score on.

Isn't it awesome on how one game can define a team's performance over a good deal of time? I mean, after we lost to Maine that Friday, it's pretty easy to determine that our team is overrated and isn't going to win more than 10 games this entire season. :silly:

The MTU game proves that UAA is beatable and capable of having a bad game. Other than that, I wouldn't put it past any team to be able to beat any other team on any given day if the right circumstances exist. That happened against us last weekend. It happened to Minnesota a number of times last season.

Please, let's try to look at the big picture not just a game here or there.

Isn't it awesome on how one game can define a team's performance over a good deal of time? I mean, after we lost to Maine that Friday, it's pretty easy to determine that our team is overrated and isn't going to win more than 10 games this entire season. :silly:

The MTU game proves that UAA is beatable and capable of having a bad game. Other than that, I wouldn't put it past any team to be able to beat any other team on any given day if the right circumstances exist. That happened against us last weekend. It happened to Minnesota a number of times last season.

Please, let's try to look at the big picture not just a game here or there.

I bet if you looked up how good teams fare in Alaska you would be surprised. The Gophers traditionally drop at least one game up there. Now add to the mix that AA is improved and I am not that surprised with last weekends results. AA is playing with confidence right now, for some reason the Sioux are not.