3. North Dakota State 21-4

4. Nebraska-Kearney 20-3

5. South Dakota 20-3

6. Minnesota Duluth 18-4

7. Concordia-St. Paul 19-4

8. Fort Hays State 18-5

9. Mesa State 16-6

10. Minnesota State Moorhead 14-9

UNK's women won on the road last night(not included in the current rankings) at Fort Hays who has a .750 winning % and a win like this gives UNK a boost in the rankings.  I am sure this win has them in second place today over UND and NDSU.

I have come to the conclusion that the committee can do pretty much whatever it wants. With at least 6 different criteria for them to consider in no particular order of priority, they can probably somewhat justify their rankings no matter what order the top 6 teams are in.

For whatever it's worth, according to my calculations UND has the advantage over Kearney in overall s.o.s. even factoring in last night's game, but Kearney has the advantage within the region at present. It's unknown whether overall s.o.s. counts for more than that within the region. They are both listed as factors to be considered.

Kearney's problem overall is that they are fairly heavily penalized by the fact that two of their losses are pretty bad. I don't believe they get any points for a loss to a non-division I or II team, and they have a loss to a sub-.500 division II opponent (3 points). Kearney's three losses therefore count for a total of nine points, compared to UND's three losses counting for 21 points.

UND still has the opportunity to earn big points with a possible win over USD (14 points), a possible road win at NDSU (17 points), plus possibly two games in the NCC tournament against teams with a greater than .750 winning percentage. If by chance UND were to run the table (I'm not necessarily saying they will), the Sioux would appear to have a fairly substantial advantage over Kearney in both overall and within the region s.o.s. even if Kearney doesn't lose again.

If UND's women can run the table in the NCC which consists of tonight vs. USD, at UNC on Sat, at NDSU next Sat and if SDSU also runs the table (and they have a much easier schedule), the home-court for the NCC tourney would be decided by a coin flip. Talk about needing luck!!

The only word for the women last night:  CHOKE!!!

It was a huge choke. I haven't been that disappointed since...well...last year's choke to Southwest State in the tournament. It's hard to believe a good home team can shoot well over 50%, out-rebound the opponent by 12, have four players in double-figures scoring, have an 11-point lead with 4:52 remaining, and still find a way to lose.

On the other hand, the men seem to be coming around nicely. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually think the men have a better chance of making noise in the tournament (if they make it) than the women do. If Brandt can ever regain his 3-point touch, this team will be extremely difficult to beat. I just wish Glas would stick with a lineup of Beasley, M. Johnson, Walker, Brandt and Porter. Very few NCC teams have more than one big guy on the floor at one time so I don't think the lack of a true power forward would be a problem.

I agree with that men's lineup UND 92,96. I have said that many times this year. Porter can guard many of the fours in the league. Yes the men have played well lately, but they can't lose games like the one in Mankato, that was a game that title comtenders must win...even if it was on the road. The one thing about the men is that they could easily be undefeated right now. Four of the losses were basically because of poor free throw shooting down the stretch and of course another due to the ref and a cheater on the clock in Vermillion.

It just seems that the women don't have that killer instinct...even though they are a veteran team. Boll seems like tha only semi-vocal one out there. Sure they won the close Bison game, but they have let some of the poorer teams stay too close. St. Cloud was a great example, as was at UNO. These are teams UND should pull away from...just too inconsistent. I feel that they are as good as any out there, I just don't think they can put it together for that big of a stretch as neede in the playoffs. Especially now that the NCC tourney will probably in Brookings and possibly the regional as well. The women had control of their destiny and flat out CHOKED!!! Maybe last night woke some of them up!