SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Ice Hockey Rules Video

PCM

I still don't know if I like the skate rule. I would think it will be tough at times to know if the puck was redirected off a skate or if it was kicked in. It's one thing if it was a lucky bounce, but I just don't know about allowing the intentional redirection with the foot.

I still don't know if I like the skate rule. I would think it will be tough at times to know if the puck was redirected off a skate or if it was kicked in. It's one thing if it was a lucky bounce, but I just don't know about allowing the intentional redirection with the foot.

I don't think this will matter as much as some think. Before this rule changed, a puck off the skate could be counted if it wasn't directed into the net intentionally. So it's not as if all goals off skate deflections will now count when they were never counted in the past.

Under the old rule, the ref had to make a judgement call about a player's intent, which is rather difficult to do. I saw goals counted that I didn't think should have and other goals waved off that I thought should have counted.

All the ref has to decide under the new rule is whether a deliberate kicking motion was made, which is similar to the NHL rule. If it hasn't been bad for the NHL, I can't see it being bad for college hockey.

I don't think this will matter as much as some think. Before this rule changed, a puck off the skate could be counted if it wasn't directed into the net intentionally. So it's not as if all goals off skate deflections will now count when they were never counted in the past.

Under the old rule, the ref had to make a judgement call about a player's intent, which is rather difficult to do. I saw goals counted that I didn't think should have and other goals waved off that I thought should have counted.

All the ref has to decide under the new rule is whether a deliberate kicking motion was made, which is similar to the NHL rule. If it hasn't been bad for the NHL, I can't see it being bad for college hockey.

I know deflections used to count. I'm just not sure I like the change to trying to score by deflecting one in with your skate. I think it could be tough to tell if a deliberate "kicking" motion is used, or whether the player was just getting their foot in position to deflect the puck. For instance, with one of the example videos used I still think it's open to interpretation if the puck was simply redirected or kicked in. I guess maybe I need to see an example of what they would view "kicked in". Maybe that would end up being SO obvious as to render my concern moot.

I know deflections used to count. I'm just not sure I like the change to trying to score by deflecting one in with your skate. I think it could be tough to tell if a deliberate "kicking" motion is used, or whether the player was just getting their foot in position to deflect the puck. For instance, with one of the example videos used I still think it's open to interpretation if the puck was simply redirected or kicked in. I guess maybe I need to see an example of what they would view "kicked in". Maybe that would end up being SO obvious as to render my concern moot.

DOn't worry about this rule, dagies. It's not like Chucko is still around to utilize it. I guess I never really noticed this as being as much of a problem until seemingly half of Chucko's goals coming off of the skate.

I know deflections used to count. I'm just not sure I like the change to trying to score by deflecting one in with your skate.

But don't you think it's good that college hockey is now using a rule similar to the NHL's? I think that's a positive development.

Does anyone have Greg Shepards email address. He should see this... :D;)

I know its such a shame, the man is a horrible official, almost as bad as Don Adam.

I hope he watched the video. They should show the 2004 NCAA title game, you would be able

have a whole seminar on what is a penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Adam and that Albers guy didn't see this video.

I'd recommend they review the part where they explain what to call when a goalie takes a dive.

I think they could also learn something from the icing enforcement.

I didn't see Vandervelde's CFB that well, but my impression from the corner of my eye was that that was also covered in this video as a 2 minute.

Plus the linemen need to review the dropping the puck routine. It's not about you getting attention, drop the puck.