SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Selection Changes

Just Curious

NCAA has recommended a few changes to the selection for the tournament. I have never really been one to calculate or figure odds on if a team makes it or not, but thought it was interesting for those of you that figure those things out, also it may dramatically affect the Sioux with concerns to their RPI

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12675/Changes...ntCriteria.html

^ The first read I had on the selection criteria indicated last year's 16 teams would not have changed a bit; a couple of teams were sent to different regions. I think the sum total of the changes will be seen in how teams schedule their non-conference opponents.

^ The first read I had on the selection criteria indicated last year's 16 teams would not have changed a bit; a couple of teams were sent to different regions. I think the sum total of the changes will be seen in how teams schedule their non-conference opponents.

Even though it didn't really matter in the end last year, one area where I think it could have an impact is the new TUC rule when comparing two teams. Both teams need to have 10 games against TUC teams before that category gets used for that particular comparison. UND was on the verge of losing some comparisons last year because they lost some some of the TUC comparisons against teams who had only played a handful of TUC games and came out with a winning record. Had UND not turned around this TUC comparison against teams at the end of the year by winning their TUC games, UND would have lost a few comparisons because of the old rule.

So I think taking this new TUC comparison rule into account will only help teams who play a lot of games against TUC teams versus those teams who play only a few TUC games. I mean it doesn't make any sense that a team like UND should lose a TUC comparison by having a .500 or .600 record on 20-25 games against TUC teams to a team with only three TUC games going 2-1 in those games. It may not affect who wins the overall comparison between the two teams but it seems only logical that if UND wins every other comparison, how can they lose a TUC comparison to an inferior team who only plays three or four TUC games.

Sorry for the long-windedness but this new rule appears very logical in the overall scheme of things.

I really do NOT LIKE the new "nickname comparison" factor.

Teams nicknamed after large predatory mammals win the comparison against smaller predatory mammals; all predatory mammals win the comparison against all other mammals. Non-human mammals win the comparison against humans. And of course, teams with Native American nicknames rank at the bottom of the NCAA heap.