SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

AZSIOUX

I think you might be wrong on your Genoway assessment. I'm hearing some very good things about Chay. I guess we'll see once the season gets going, but he's being compared with some of the past Sioux greats who were of similar size. I guess I won't toss out names of who he's being compared to, because then we'll expect him to be like that player the first time he steps on the ice. We'll never be able to compare him with Commodore, Greene & Smaby, but, by the time he completes his Sioux career, we might talking about him in the same sentance as some of the smaller Sioux All-American defensemen we've had over the last 20 years. These players were great college defensemen, but never made it at the NHL level because of their size.

So, Genoway will make the team at a capacity much more than what your indicating above. With Chorney, Lee, Jones, Bina & Finley coming back, it will be interesting to see where he fits in this year.

Maybe. It wouldn't be the first time.

In any case, I was more defining what I believe Genoway's role on the team will be, not so much how good he is. I'm sure he is good. Truth be told, I don't know what Hakstol's plans are for Genoway, but the context of what I wrote was in response to the posters that said that Genoway will remove Finley from the lineup. And that I cannot agree with. Quite frankly, if Genoway is turning heads so far in practice, then we may have more depth at D than I first thought.

One thing to toss out: What about bringing Bina back slowly and throwing Genoway in Bina's slot at first?

Chorney, Lee, Jones, Finley isn't depth? Throw Bina in there and we are not talking about 6 brand new D-men.

I was talking deeper than top 4 defensemen. Usually it is 6 defensemen and one or two guys that you can throw in if you have to.

We may have 6 defensemen plus a few guys that we can throw in and NOT lose anything defensively.

I think you might be wrong on your Genoway assessment. I'm hearing some very good things about Chay. I guess we'll see once the season gets going, but he's being compared with some of the past Sioux greats who were of similar size. I guess I won't toss out names of who he's being compared to, because then we'll expect him to be like that player the first time he steps on the ice. We'll never be able to compare him with Commodore, Greene & Smaby, but, by the time he completes his Sioux career, we might talking about him in the same sentance as some of the smaller Sioux All-American defensemen we've had over the last 20 years. These players were great college defensemen, but never made it at the NHL level because of their size.

So, Genoway will make the team at a capacity much more than what your indicating above. With Chorney, Lee, Jones, Bina & Finley coming back, it will be interesting to see where he fits in this year.

Small players that come to mind that were great defensemen are Curtis Murphy and Russ Parent. If he turns out to be half the players they were it would be nice. Is Genoway that small, or are there other players that he is being compared to? I agree that the less expectations that are placed on freshmen, the easier it is for them to come into their own without the added pressure.

Small players that come to mind that were great defensemen are Curtis Murphy and Russ Parent. If he turns out to be half the players they were it would be nice. Is Genoway that small, or are there other players that he is being compared to? I agree that the less expectations that are placed on freshmen, the easier it is for them to come into their own without the added pressure.

Chad Mazurak and Brad Williamson