SiouxSports.com Forum

FSSN in Bismarck

UNDLAW

Yes, it is. Channel 33 in Bismarck.

I take back the "I LOVE YOU, MAN" thing as I just checked midco channel 33 and that is FSN (i.e. Fox Sports - North) not the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. Did I make a mistake or are people just messing with my emotions. Now I have to tape back together my divorce papers (just kidding).

I take back the "I LOVE YOU, MAN" thing as I just checked midco channel 33 and that is FSN (i.e. Fox Sports - North) not the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. Did I make a mistake or are people just messing with my emotions. Now I have to tape back together my divorce papers (just kidding).

Sorry I just thought you meant FSN. My bad. 39 is the channel that all the home games are on in Bismarck.

Do you have a dish to get the games down here, or what?

Yep. Have the FTA as well as the Dish fox pack with ESPNU and CSTV and all that. However, would prefer to forego all that to just turn on a channel upon my move. Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated!!!

Yep. Have the FTA as well as the Dish fox pack with ESPNU and CSTV and all that. However, would prefer to forego all that to just turn on a channel upon my move. Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated!!!

By the way, if you decide you don't want the hassle of moving your TV, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

I have DTV, and was wondering if the FSSN only airs the home games, or if it also shows road games.

They show every home game. In the past they've aired one or two road series. Normally the series at duluth is one of them, but unfortunately we don't play at Duluth this year. I know they've also done the games at CC in the past. Unfortunately, Pat Sweeney emailed me last week and said this year, FSSN isn't going to broadcast any away games. This year there are two home football games (Duluth & South Dakota) and two home basketball double-headers (Northern & St. Cloud). They also broadcast all the football playoff games (normally). You can get an FTA system for about $200, and there are no subscrption fees.

NO away games broadcast? Why? Money? I would think there would be a way to "trade broadcasts" or something on that order with a school that also airs at least some of their home games.

Money is exactly why. The reason they always do the Duluth series is because UMD broadcasts some of their home games locally, just like FSSN. So WDAZ just pulls in the Duluth station's feed, sends Pat Sweeney and Jeff Bredahl to call the game, and redistributes over the FSSN using the Duluth stations cameras. Same thing when they did CC and I think Alaska-Anchorage a few years ago. If the away team doesn't air their game locally, then WDAZ has to send their satellite truck and a full production crew. On the brightside, for those of us that have DirecTV with the "Sportspak", you can pretty much count on at minimum six road games being on TV each year: Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver (they all have agreements with the regional Fox Sports Network stations you get with the "Sportspak"). Plus their could be a few on CSTV or ESPNU.

NO away games broadcast? Why? Money? I would think there would be a way to "trade broadcasts" or something on that order with a school that also airs at least some of their home games.

rehashed from another post ;)

The main reason road games aren't carried (and we've been down this road before). The big one is money. If the home team isn't showing the game, then WDAZ has to send a whole crew to the opponents arena. This is the whole production crew and the truck to beam up the signal. That truck costs mucho gas money. They would have to pay for 2 signals (one from the arena to WDAZ and the other from the Ralph to cable companies. The original feed is raw (no graphics). Even if the opponent is doing the game, they still have to pay for the uplink. Sweeney said this a couple years ago when it was asked (he was reading e-mails between periods)

A few TV crews have a "when you come here, you can use our feed and when we come there, we use yours". When UMD is on the road, most of the time they use the same feed as the home team but use UMD announcers. But again they have to pay for the uplink.

When UMD does road games from the Ralph, the feed that the Duluth fans see is the same as the FSSN including the score graphic. WDIO (the ABC station in Duluth that shows the games) tries to block the Sioux logo in the corner and it just makes it look like crap. So I watch the FSSN feed ;)

Money is exactly why. The reason they always do the Duluth series is because UMD broadcasts some of their home games locally, just like FSSN. So WDAZ just pulls in the Duluth station's feed, sends Pat Sweeney and Jeff Bredahl to call the game, and redistributes over the FSSN using the Duluth stations cameras. Same thing when they did CC and I think Alaska-Anchorage a few years ago. If the away team doesn't air their game locally, then WDAZ has to send their satellite truck and a full production crew.

bah! ya beat me to it ;)

But you're correct...money is the big thing. I mean St Cloud and Mankato show all their home games on cable (like FSSN) so the feed is there. UMD shows most Saturday games so the feed is there.

Some teams (CC, Denver, MI Tech) don't have many games televised. Alaska may be the closest to MN for most games shown. They have a channel in Alaska (most of the state is one cable company) that shows both UAA and Fairbanks games and they show almost all the games. If its televised, they'll have it. All the home games are tape delayed and road games are live. Seen many UAA games last year.

Alaska may be the closest to MN for most games shown. They have a channel in Alaska (most of the state is one cable company) that shows both UAA and Fairbanks games and they show almost all the games. If its televised, they'll have it. All the home games are tape delayed and road games are live. Seen many UAA games last year.

Hey Iceberg, do you also have a C-band setup? I always thought AA was on C-band. Could I pick-up the Sioux-Anchorage series from Alaska on my Ku-band? That would be great even if was tape-delayed.

Hey Iceberg, do you also have a C-band setup? I always thought AA was on C-band. Could I pick-up the Sioux-Anchorage series from Alaska on my Ku-band? That would be great even if was tape-delayed.

They're on C-Band (137W AMC7). There use to be 7 stations on the transponder. The 6 Anchoarge networks and a "hockey feed" that had color bars until game time then the game :) The 6 Nets are scrmabled but then hockey feed is still there

I have a C-Band dish but can't see over that far (house next to me blocks view) ;) I always told PSB one of these days I'm going to put the dish in the front driveway ;)

The road games (if televised) seem to be on Galaxy10 KU Band (123W...the same satellite as those networks). Since Alaska is so far west and north, they use G10 to get the signal up to Alaska where they refeed it back on AMC7. I know the UAA/Wisco and UAA/St Clown were on G10 last year.

Last year we did get the games from Denver (I think it was both.....) I remember Prpich's face-off move in particular. I don't recall if we got CC or not..... I know we have occasionally in the past. I think the Denver action was a last minute deal. That's happened with Wisconsin before, too. Maybe it will again.