SiouxSports.com Forum

Stafford signs!

BB9

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB9 thinks so. i dont. ;)

well the thing is, last i talked to drew, he was pretty dead set on coming back this year. of course that was last fall. after his injury, one has to wonder if he would be scared that somethin would happen again, and make the jump before it has the chance to happen again. i hope drew comes back, even though it seems everyone is already counting him out of predicted lines and things like that. if he comes back, i say give him the big C and DREW STAFFORD FOR HOBEY BAKER!! also, with him going to the World Championships with Eaves, he may think more about staying one last year and fillin in that great leadership role. The sad part is the amount that money talks in situations like this.

well the thing is, last i talked to drew, he was pretty dead set on coming back this year. of course that was last fall. after his injury, one has to wonder if he would be scared that somethin would happen again, and make the jump before it has the chance to happen again. i hope drew comes back, even though it seems everyone is already counting him out of predicted lines and things like that. if he comes back, i say give him the big C and DREW STAFFORD FOR HOBEY BAKER!! also, with him going to the World Championships with Eaves, he may think more about staying one last year and fillin in that great leadership role. The sad part is the amount that money talks in situations like this.

i think he would be a kick-ass captain! he could definetly make things happen with the leadership he has. i also think the same way about his knee injury. i just dont want him to leave! ???

Heh. Dbag?

Wow. You called me a name! ergo, I win! I was right!

Whenever name calling gets started, that is an admission that the person who was called a name was right. Why? Because you've left the issue behind and attacked the person bringing an alternate and opposite opinion to yours to the table.

Nice try though.

Would you care to rephrase?

If the above is true, then I have been right quite a bit.

i think he would be a kick-ass captain! he could definetly make things happen with the leadership he has. i also think the same way about his knee injury. i just dont want him to leave! ???

yeah i dont want him to either. bottiom line, it will suck if he does. i want to see all those people who already gave up on him coming back to scramble to re-do their line predictions for next season if he decids to come back. its sad that so many people have already given up on such a great guy, and a great leader. with as good an attitude as drew has, I would have to peg him as one of the best all around players to ever come out of UND. i hate to see the possibility of him going, but, life is life, its what u do.

yeah i dont want him to either. bottiom line, it will suck if he does. i want to see all those people who already gave up on him coming back to scramble to re-do their line predictions for next season if he decids to come back. its sad that so many people have already given up on such a great guy, and a great leader. with as good an attitude as drew has, I would have to peg him as one of the best all around players to ever come out of UND. i hate to see the possibility of him going, but, life is life, its what u do.

it does suck that everyone has already given up on him staying. i would be willing to bet on him staying for his last year. from what ive heard, he was in no hurry to leave. i hope that holds true. the team has already lost 3 HUGE players, we will need him for his leadership. i honestly think that he will get Captain next year. I was really hoping that he would get it for 05-06, but i wasnt a big fan of that position for Smaby. yes, Prpich and Porter were great (props to Prp), but i felt that Drew was the better contendor( not to rip on smaby or anyhting, but when your captain is getting ejected, that says something) We have already lost 3 HUGE impact players, and that was a loss that could potentially hurt the team this year, and it would just screw the team if Stafford leaves. I dont think its his time to leave. Im sure skillwise he could go to the AHL and play for 3 months and already be ready to move up. But the team needs that leadership. I twil be great to just have a bit of that little jump in the team next year.

it does suck that everyone has already given up on him staying. i would be willing to bet on him staying for his last year. from what ive heard, he was in no hurry to leave. i hope that holds true. the team has already lost 3 HUGE players, we will need him for his leadership. i honestly think that he will get Captain next year. I was really hoping that he would get it for 05-06, but i wasnt a big fan of that position for Smaby. yes, Prpich and Porter were great (props to Prp), but i felt that Drew was the better contendor( not to rip on smaby or anyhting, but when your captain is getting ejected, that says something) We have already lost 3 HUGE impact players, and that was a loss that could potentially hurt the team this year, and it would just screw the team if Stafford leaves. I dont think its his time to leave. Im sure skillwise he could go to the AHL and play for 3 months and already be ready to move up. But the team needs that leadership. I twil be great to just have a bit of that little jump in the team next year.

exactly

Ok, not to rip on your post, but you are ripping on Smaby. He was a great captain. Just because he gets ejected for various reasons (officials calling everything) doesn't make him a bad captain. Porter, Prpich, and even Stafford were ejected a few times this year.

Now you are questioning Smaby's competitiveness? Drew scored a ton of goals this year. He did REALLY well, but I'll challenge you to name one player who played better defensively than big Matt Smaby. Travis Zajac played good, sure, but man, Smaby is a better checker than Zajac. Positionally, Smaby is better than any other player on the team, the next closest being Chorney. And his leadership was praised by all of his teammates and the coaching staff repeatedly throughout the year.

Offensive stats are nice, but they do not define what makes a leader or who wears the C.

I think you're wrong when it comes to the leadership choices the team has made this last season. I think Smaby did a GOOD job. And Tampa Bay will be very happy to have him in their organization.

Stafford would make a great captain, that much is true. Sometimes, I think he should have wore the letter instead of Prpich or Porter for various reasons. But I never, not once, questioned who should wear the C for the SIoux this season. Smaby was the man. And he played like it all year long.

Now you are questioning Smaby's competitiveness? Drew scored a ton of goals this year. He did REALLY well, but I'll challenge you to name one player who played better defensively than big Matt Smaby. Travis Zajac played good, sure, but man, Smaby is a better checker than Zajac. Positionally, Smaby is better than any other player on the team, the next closest being Chorney. And his leadership was praised by all of his teammates and the coaching staff repeatedly throughout the year.

I am going to stand in your corner too Redwing 77, The loss of Smaby is huge and his absence will be missed a lot. Also, I would never question Smaby's heart the kid is a monster, awesome hitter and pretty good on defense. If I am not mistake Matt came to UND barely 18 years old so maybe some people should cut him a little slack, Smaby is awesome.

I am going to stand in your corner too Redwing 77, The loss of Smaby is huge and his absence will be missed a lot. Also, I would never question Smaby's heart the kid is a monster, awesome hitter and pretty good on defense. If I am not mistake Matt came to UND barely 18 years old so maybe some people should cut him a little slack, Smaby is awesome.

just so you guys know, as far as i can tell, no one is giving Smaby any s&!t. i liked smaby. he was a great player, as were many players on the team, and he was a good captain. personally, from knowing drew, and knowing personally his good attitude and work ethic, i would like to see him as Captain. i think he would be a great replacement of Smaby. but smaby did a great job.

just so you guys know, as far as i can tell, no one is giving Smaby any s&!t. i liked smaby. he was a great player, as were many players on the team, and he was a good captain. personally, from knowing drew, and knowing personally his good attitude and work ethic, i would like to see him as Captain. i think he would be a great replacement of Smaby. but smaby did a great job.

You need to reread Stafford_rules' post. He said (Not to rip on Smaby) that Stafford was the better contendor than Smaby and listed the main reason because Smaby got ejected a few times.

EDIT: And I agree with you otherwise. I think, if Stafford stays, he would be a good replacement for Smaby as Captain. I'd still expect Fabian to get the C, though, but Stafford would be a great Captain or Alternate Captain at worst.

You need to reread Stafford_rules' post. He said (Not to rip on Smaby) that Stafford was the better contendor than Smaby and listed the main reason because Smaby got ejected a few times.

EDIT: And I agree with you otherwise. I think, if Stafford stays, he would be a good replacement for Smaby as Captain. I'd still expect Fabian to get the C, though, but Stafford would be a great Captain or Alternate Captain at worst.

i didnt mean to say he was a sh***y captain, because he wasnt. i just fould have just rather seen stafford in the role rather than smaby. it was just an opinion. im not trying to question his leadership, despite the way anyone took it.

You have to remember that she loves Stafford, so she's biased. ;)

i didnt mean to say he was a sh***y captain, because he wasnt. i just fould have just rather seen stafford in the role rather than smaby. it was just an opinion. im not trying to question his leadership, despite the way anyone took it.

Fair enough. It's your opinion and I can respect that, even if I don't agree.

just a thought.....since drew went out of town for the World Championships, dont u think that there wouldnt have been a way for him to go to Buffalo first to sign a contract with the NHL? and also, if he HAD signed a contract already, dont you think we would have heard about it by now?

just a thought.....since drew went out of town for the World Championships, dont u think that there wouldnt have been a way for him to go to Buffalo first to sign a contract with the NHL? and also, if he HAD signed a contract already, dont you think we would have heard about it by now?

what im hoping is when he is at the tournament, he will get a feel of what playing at a pro(or semi pro) level will feel like. I thik this tournament will really be the decider (if he hasnt already signed) about whether he wants to stay or if he thinks he's ready to make the jump.

There are those who are in contact with THE SOURCE, who have said Drew has signed and is gone. No official statement has come from UND, the NHL or Drew.

yeah, well, the source also said that he would be signing a $900,000 contract, which is bogus cause the NHL doesnt have that high of contracts anymore for incoming players, its down near $650,000...so go figure, i wont trust THE SOURCE untill drew, UND, or NHL says it officially, it isnt official.