SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Year's C & As

siouxguyinstpaul

C = Porter (who I predict will break out like Collins did)

A = Fabian

A = Stafford

That is extremely wishful thinking to think Porter is going to break out like Collins did. He does not have that kind of offensive potential. If he gets 15 goals that would be a great senior season. He is not really an offensive player but can score some goals by crashing the net.

That is extremely wishful thinking to think Porter is going to break out like Collins did. He does not have that kind of offensive potential. If he gets 15 goals that would be a great senior season. He is not really an offensive player but can score some goals by crashing the net.

I agree, but I think Porter can score more than 15 goals. He's not going to be a Chris Collins. I dont' think he'll make the Hobey lists at all.

I just think he can fill his role admirably from a leadership and role playing kind of way. Leading by example. Leave the flashiness and goal scoring to players like Oshie and Toews. That kind of stuff isn't Porter's role. It never was in any league. But yeah, crashing the net would be a HUGE upside for Chris. He did it a bit this year and I'd love to seem him continue to do it.

Tell that to Lee Goren and Tim Skarperud prior to their senior campaigns

is it just me, or was Goren an expected scorer when he got here and it took that long for him to come out of his shell?? correct me if i'm wrong, but i remember that being the case with him.

I don't get your point.....Goren was a goal scorer that was his role on the team. It just took a while to come to fruition. I think Skarperud had like 20 goals his senior season. He had more of an offensive upside than Porter. If Porter reaches 15 goals that would be an excellent season. Especially since I think he had about 7 this year. His physical play and penalty killing are valuable but he is not a real gifted offensive player.

I don't get your point.....Goren was a goal scorer that was his role on the team. It just took a while to come to fruition. I think Skarperud had like 20 goals his senior season. He had more of an offensive upside than Porter. If Porter reaches 15 goals that would be an excellent season. Especially since I think he had about 7 this year. His physical play and penalty killing are valuable but he is not a real gifted offensive player.

My point is this: Goren led the nation in goal scoring his senior year after being highly touted yet not meeting expectations in his previous seasons with the Sioux. Following his junior year, not many, if any, were predicting this.

Skarperud was a player that had given up on hockey, enrolled at UND, then decided he wanted to continue playing. He was definitely more of the role player variety until his senior season, where he led the team in scoring. Again, I doubt anyone had predicted this.

I think this happens more than you might realize. I also think that both Fabian and Porter definitely have the potential to have this kind of senior season. It may not happen, hell, it probably won't happen, but it is not the snowball's-chance-in-hell scenario I think you're making it out to be.

In Goren's first season (97-98) as a sophomore, he played in 29 games in which he had 3 goals and 13 assists. That was disappointing, but as I recall, he had problems with his health that season. As a junior, Goren scored 26 goals and had 19 assists. As a senior, he had 34 goals and 29 assists.

I think there was only one season where it's fair to say Goren didn't live up to expectations, but there were also extenuating circumstances.

Although this isn't related to his potential captaincy, it is a mark of his durability. As of now, Porter has played in 132 career games for UND, if my math is accurate. I believe the school record for games played is 167 held by Lee Davidson. Assuming Porter returns (I anticipate that he will) and remains healthy and stays in the lineup (knock on wood) he should break that mark, perhaps by several games, especially if UND makes the playoffs again. It could very well happen and is worth noting.

Nice piece of history there schmidtdoggydogkingo'theworld . . . .

It would be great to see Chris break that record. Never a scratch from

the sheet, or damned near anyway. Has he ever missed a game, knocking on wood?

132 games. Three seasons. That's nearly 45 games a year, ain't it? Forty-four at least.

That can't be right, cain it?