SiouxSports.com Forum

The Zen Master Speaks Out

7>4

If Phil is showing up for this come November, as was discussed in another thread, I think I'll sit this one out. Thank you.

Not back since 1989 because the dates didn't work out?? Geez, Phil Boy must be real busy playng golf with the Lama and riding around on his Harley. Not sure why UND is falling over itself trying to honor this guy. I know he has been a huge success but what has he done for UND or North Dakota along the way? Maybe if Phil really wants to make a difference, he could donate some of his millions to UND to set up schlorships for American Indians.

Again, maybe he is more active than I know. I just don't recall of ever reading about him being an active alumni.

I can't find any place in our Constitution or in the statutes of the Federal government, state government, couunty government, or municipal ordinance that grants to any person the right to not be offended. I find places that grant the right to security, to speech, assembly, religious practice, to not be cheated or defrauded, to not be assaulted, libeled or slandered but I'll be damned if I can find "offended" as a misdemeanor or felony anywhere. I personally have made a pledge to myself NOT to be offended - I refuse to let anything "offend" me. I get angry, discouraged, disgusted, or frustrated, but "offended" is a state of mind I refuse to enter because it places the offended in a victim position in which you can only be empowered by others coming to your rescue - not a very honorable position.

LOL, now that is funny. I think someone should start an ammendment to the constitution making it a civil right to not be offended.

CJOB radio (Winnipeg) had a commentator on Friday afternoon talking about people as sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Predators, prey, and those who protect. The most significant part of the commentary was the commentator concluding that sheep are sheep by birthright, wolves are wolves by birthright and their nature cannot be altered. Humans however have no such birthright and must learn what roles to play. Is it possible for human "sheep" to develop the traits of self determination and self protection if they are constantly coddled by "sheepdogs" and convinced that the dangers of the world are too great for them to face without protection. I swear that there is a point in there somewhere - if you find it please respond and share it. Sorry for the ramble.

Be careful what you listen to on CJOB, its quite left of center. It's a form of mind control.

LOL, now that is funny. I think someone should start an ammendment to the constitution making it a civil right to not be offended.

what is sad is that even though it isn't a civil right to not be offended, TV and Lawyers are making it so that everyone else suffers the injustice of puting up with those that are offended by anything and everything because it's not Politically Correct to NOT GET YOUR WAY.

• 2 weeks later...
If 10% of UND alumni request Jackson to decline his honorary doctorate degree from UND because we are offended by it, will he do so in deference to our opinion?

Count me in as an alumnus who would request that. I haven't liked Phil for quite awhile now, if you can't make it back to your state in almost 20 years, it isn't even your state anymore. He is just another "celeb" getting media exposure for political views, it is the hip thing to do nowadays. Phil, say hi to Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins for me.