SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol a Spencer Penrose finalist

PCM

Dave Hakstol is the epitome of a class act and a coach on the rise, fast. There were those among us who were griped to high heaven about nepotism at play the day he got hired. Of course, those people ignored the fact that he was the hand-picked successor by The Dean. There were those who griped that he lacked experience. What, we wanted to hire John Hill, or Ned Harkness, or even Scotty Sandelin? There were those who cried every time there was an early-to-mid season loss. Cried for no good reason. Anyone who knows anything could see, at an early date, that Hakstol was rock solid in his approach, and his game.

He kept the best D-coach in college hockey. He hired Cary Eades. He signed the cream of the crop of the boys that he had been recruiting for years. He implemented his system. He stayed the course. He has taken his teams to two consecutive Frozen Fours. He took the brunt of criticism from a boatload of blowhards that collectively knew less about the game, and the motivation, than Dave knows himself.

He remembers from where he came. He keeps an even keel. He knows what is important, and what is not. He wins with dignity and grace. He loses with dignity and grace. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same. He and his staff make no excuses. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same. He and his staff give all of the credit to others. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same.

Work hard. Play hard. Live hard. Remembering always what is most important, and it really ain't the game, or the wins and the losses. It's what is to be learned from the games, and from the wins and the losses.

We will be lucky to keep Hakstol, Berry, and Eades for as long as we can. They are the cream of the D-I hockey coaching elite, even at this young age.

Hakstol wins the Penrose, hands down.

Dave.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Hakstol is the epitome of a class act and a coach on the rise, fast. There were those among us who were griped to high heaven about nepotism at play the day he got hired. Of course, those people ignored the fact that he was the hand-picked successor by The Dean. There were those who griped that he lacked experience. What, we wanted to hire John Hill, or Ned Harkness, or even Scotty Sandelin? There were those who cried every time there was an early-to-mid season loss. Cried for no good reason. Anyone who knows anything could see, at an early date, that Hakstol was rock solid in his approach, and his game.

He kept the best D-coach in college hockey. He hired Cary Eades. He signed the cream of the crop of the boys that he had been recruiting for years. He implemented his system. He stayed the course. He has taken his teams to two consecutive Frozen Fours. He took the brunt of criticism from a boatload of blowhards that collectively knew less about the game, and the motivation, than Dave knows himself.

He remembers from where he came. He keeps an even keel. He knows what is important, and what is not. He wins with dignity and grace. He loses with dignity and grace. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same. He and his staff make no excuses. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same. He and his staff give all of the credit to others. He and his staff teach their boys to do the same.

Work hard. Play hard. Live hard. Remembering always what is most important, and it really ain't the game, or the wins and the losses. It's what is to be learned from the games, and from the wins and the losses.

We will be lucky to keep Hakstol, Berry, and Eades for as long as we can. They are the cream of the D-I hockey coaching elite, even at this young age.

Dave.

Ditto. :love:

Dave.

An I think he almost smiled once... :love:

I have a picture of him smiling. Taken at the same time and place where he took a shot of tequila with my friends and me. He said, "I don't know why people say I never smile. I smile all the time."

There was also a picture of him smiling when Kaip scored his first goal. Loved that pic.

Is there any way we could exchange the Lucia-pet for Pearl from Holy Cross? How does a coach who's team threw it in the tank in the WCHA Final 5 and the West Region get on this list? Granted, it's the team who has to go out and win the games, but the coach has a large part in getting them up and ready for the playoffs?!?!?!

I think Lucia has already proven that he's a great post season coach. That can not be debated.

I think Lucia has already proven that he's a great post season coach. That can not be debated.

You're right. Lucia has proven that, but this thread is about the coach of the year award for the current season. His performance during that period can be discussed and is certainly open for debate.

You're right. Lucia has proven that, but this thread is about the coach of the year award for the current season. His performance during that period can be discussed and is certainly open for debate.

I agree that Lucia shouldn't win it this year but I don't think it's a joke to be on the list of candidates when you win the Macnaughton Cup. I think Hakstol is very deserving of the award this year and last year.

Lucia and Hakstol will always be at a disadvantage for this award. When UND or the Gophers are good, it's because they are supposed to be. Look at the way you all disparage the coach of the WCHA Regular season champs as an example.

Personally I thought Lucia had a chance last year, when the Gophers had a bunch of freshmen defensemen. Lucia guided them to a #1 seed and the Frozen Four.

This year Hakstol has done an amazing job pulling the Sioux together. If he doesn't win it this year, he will have a hard time winning it. I suspect he will end up getting punished for having too much talent. This is the ultimate in sillyness, because it was Hakstol who had to fight off all the other coaches to land that talent.

How can the winner be anyone else but John Hill. He went from a last place team to a first place team. Upgraded geographically, got more money, all with less responsibility and accountability. He wins!

He definitely would win quickest exit from the NCAAs by a WCHA team. :love:

• 2 weeks later...
The award will be presented at the American Hockey Coaches Association (AHCA) Coach of the Year Banquet on Saturday, April 29, in Naples, FL

Good Luck Hak!!

Isn't that the same day or shortly after our appeal is to be heard?

Doesn't matter though.

Congrats Hakstol for being named a finalist for two straight years (right?)

Man I hope the Hak wins it; that will salvage the season, and we can reclassify the 05-06 effort as a success.....If he doesn't pull it off, I don't know if I can go on.

Either you didn't read the post above yours, or you need one of these > :lol:

Any thoughts on whether Hak will be a future NHL coach, or the type of coach that wants to stay with the program for a career? You have to look at his age and situation and realize that he has the potential to break alot of caoching records. Next year may be a new test, because for the first time (assume not an overwhelming loss of players) he may be expected to reach the forzen four as opposed to just over acheiving lower expectations.