SiouxSports.com Forum

ENGELSTAD ARENA RUMOR

hockey1

Sorry if this is a bad time to bring this up but there is a RUMOR I repeat RUMOR going around that Ralph has it in his trust that the Arena will be imploded if they change the Fighting Sioux nickname. I heard this from some Sioux friends of mine at the Final five and then again at the West Regionals. Has anyone else heard this rumor and no this question is not a joke.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this is a bad time to bring this up but there is a RUMOR I repeat RUMOR going around that Ralph has it in his trust that the Arena will be imploded if they change the Fighting Sioux nickname. I heard this from some Sioux friends of mine at the Final five and then again at the West Regionals. Has anyone else heard this rumor and no this question is not a joke.

We actually heard this multiple times at the bar on Friday night. You would think there would be SOME way the state could kick in and prevent something like that, not?

That is just plain and simple a stupid and unfounded rumor. Ralph's trust has no control over the arena anyway.

Don't worry. Drew Stafford's new bionic leg is equipped with an explosive detection sensor. Drew's leg led him to all the explosives planted in Engelstad Arena and they have been disarmed by the UND police department's top-secret bomb disposal unit headed by Oliver North.

Well...if it is true...implosion would be preferable to explosion. :ohmy:

Jimmy Hoffa is also buried directly under the center face off circle. Also, the government runs a secret facility underneath the home locker room where they study alien technology.

I imagine such a stupid rumor was started based on Ralph threatening to halt construction on the arena if they changed the name. For numerous legal and common sense reasons, the REA is not going to be blown up... or in :D

Jimmy Hoffa is also buried directly under the center face off circle. Also, the government runs a secret facility underneath the home locker room where they study alien technology.

I'm glad that you didn't mention the Tri-Lateral Commission's involvement in all this.

Oops! :D

The arena was built/ commissioned to provide a source of economic growth to the GF community, as a result of the '97 flood event; and because Ralph loved Sioux hockey.

We all know his passion for the Sioux nickname, but we also know his passion for Sioux hockey. To say that he'd single-handedly break down and destroy one of the biggest assets of the hockey program at UND is assinine.

While Ralph was a determined and sometimes gritty business man, he was also a good man. To selfishly "implode" the arena because of a nickname goes against everything I've come to know about him. If the rumors are proven to be true, I'll stand corrected. But until then, I won't believe this garbage.

Did we get this rumor from a reputable source like your neighbor's cousin's best friend whose sister dates player on the team?

Don't be silly. Hockey player's don't know anything about this stuff. :D

The sister dates a guy who flys a black helicopter that's frequently seen hovering above the Ralph. :ohmy:

That is the biggest widespread rumor that I have ever heard. The Ralph is no longer controlled by the trust fund.

Wrong, the arena IS still controlled by the trust. It's fairly complicated, but the policies involved with the trust, created the reason that Dean Blais left the university.

Wrong, the arena IS still controlled by the trust. It's fairly complicated, but the policies involved with the trust, created the reason that Dean Blais left the university.

I've been trying to find out who has control of the arena for about 30 minutes and to no avail. I still think that the rumor is a bunch of crap, but would like to see a link to the management/ownership agreement for my own reading enjoyment.

Thanks.

This rumor is true, unfortunately. :D

The main reason, of course, being that the true info from the JFK assassination is hidden beneath the marble Sioux head in the main entrance. Ralph never wanted anyone to find that info, so if the Sioux nickname is changed, he plans to implode the REA.

And I heard this from the most reputable source in the land...the Easter bunny, who heard it from the Tooth Fairy, who, as we all know, tells the truth in matters such as this.

I thought Ralph (or the family now) had control of the Ralph for 30 years and then after that the University could buy it for $1. Or is that another ridiculous rumor?

The terms are actually different..but at this point the family does have control of the Ralph. That's not to say that they are going to implode the building though...........sounds far fetched to me.

All that means to me (if even somewhat authentic) is that the the Fighting Sioux name will never be changed.

Several months ago, I spoke to someone in the UND administration in a position to know whether such rumors are true. (Believe me, there are people on both sides of the Fighting Sioux nickname issue who'd love to believe that they are.) I was told that when the New York Times sent a reporter to Grand Forks to do a story about the nickname controversy, he inquired about the rumors he'd heard about Engelstad Arena and what might happen to it if the name changed.

He was provided with copies of all the documents relating to the ownership and control of the arena (which are public record, by the way). None of them contain a single word about a change in the arena's status if the Fighting Sioux nickname is changed.