SiouxSports.com Forum

DI and NDSBoHE

SiouxMD

I guess not.

NDSU and NDSBoHE - 23JAN2002

"NDSU's decision rests with school president Joseph Chapman. The state Board of Higher Education could have the final say, said Pat Seaworthy, general counsel to the board.

"But up until now, the board has delegated to the institutions the authority to administer athletic programs," Seaworthy said. "
The board hasn't gotten involved in these types of decisions.
""

Different scenario in South Dakota? I gather the South Dakota Board of Regents is equal to the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education.

SDSU and SDBoR - 12DEC2002

"The South Dakota Board of Regents Thursday adopted a new athletic policy that establishes specific financial and policy requirements for any of its institutions that participate at the NCAA Division I level.

The Board also voted 6-2 to support South Dakota State University's application for Division 1-AA status,
if SDSU can find an appropriate athletic conference to join."

Apparently a non-issue for UND...is there anything you can't find on either E-Bay or Google? :D

The Board also voted 6-2 to support South Dakota State University's application for Division 1-AA status, if SDSU can find an appropriate athletic conference to join."

Notice that SDSU simply ignored the "find a conference" requirement. :D

The conference existed for SDSU's first DI (I-AA for football) year, 2004.

2003 was their last year in the NCC, a DI exploratory year.

SDSU had no conference at the time it announced its move to Division I, which was clearly contrary to the wishes of the State Board of Regents. It says so right here.

SDSU had no conference at the time it announced its move to Division I, which was clearly contrary to the wishes of the State Board of Regents. It says so right here.

Given the fact that SDSU continues to participate in DI...I guess the SDBoR did not agree or lacked the authority to do anything about it.

"NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Senate of the Seventy-ninth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the House of Representatives concurring therein, that the Legislature
encourages
the South Dakota Board of Regents to rescind its support of South Dakota State University's pursuit to move from National Collegiate Athletics Association Division II to Division I."

What was the final vote tally on this resolution?

"NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Senate of the Seventy-ninth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the House of Representatives concurring therein, that the Legislature
encourages
the South Dakota Board of Regents to rescind its support of South Dakota State University's pursuit to move from National Collegiate Athletics Association Division II to Division I."

Wow, that's kind of interesting. Is this pretty recent, and by support do they mean financial or verbal.

Given the fact that SDSU continues to participate in DI...I guess the SDBoR did not agree or lacked the authority to do anything about it.

encourages

What was the final vote tally on this resolution?

YEAS 4 NAYS 2

Interesting that the one of the Proponents is from Brookings...I thought for sure this would be coming from Vermillion. One of the Opponents is a SDBoR Representative so apparently they did not agree with this resolution.

Link

Presented by: Senator Clarence Kooistra

Proponents: Jim Marking, self, Brookings

Senator Frank Kloucek

Opponents: Tad Perry, SD Board of Regents

Representative Kent Juhnke

Presented by: Senator Clarence Kooistra

Proponents: Jim Marking, self, Brookings

Senator Frank Kloucek

Opponents: Tad Perry, SD Board of Regents

Representative Kent Juhnke

Kooistra has been extremely vocal in his disdain for SDSU's move to DI, and from the pieces I've seen him write to the Argus, is a little off his rocker. I think he also publishes a small left-wing newspaper that expounds on some of his more radical views.