SiouxSports.com Forum

Master of Puppets

01grad

I am so sick of hearing about how the student section is behaving and what is right and wrong. I remember when I was leaving they were just starting to try to control the swearing and behavior. They threatened that they had a camera on us and whoever started the inappropriate chants would be asked to leave and not come back. We were told to do things like what the Kansas basketball team would do when opposing teams were introduced by holding up newspapers instead of saying who's he, he sucks sh!!!

On with my point of this thread. They are trying to make our student section into that of the annoying Wisconsin fans. After watching some of the gopher/badger game last night their students are so busy chanting and doing stupid stuff that they don't even watch or care about the game. They just look like a bunch of puppets that are controlled by their band songs telling them what to do. The thing that made our student section one of the best was that we always did very random things and were always starting new cheers that were in support of our team or directed at the other team. Wisconsin fans just stand up and do odd looking dances that don't have to do with the game at all.

I just think it is too bad that the higher powers at the school are trying to make the students do what they want instead of what the students want. I think it would be tough to try to enjoy watching the game when you are worried about how you behave knowing people are watching you instead of the game. If it takes moving the student section to the ends I think it should be done so they have their freedom back. With a bigger arena if parents are worried about what their kids hear, they can certainly find a place to take them where the words are muffled some. I still think the best cheers that we do are just constantly chanting Let's Go Sioux because when we go to other venues, that definitely overpowers anything else. That is the best way to make noise and then using the other letter spelling chants such as SEX, CONDOM, ORGY, CUM, etc. They don't do these at gopher games anymore and I wonder if it is because people have complained there. I sure hope our arena doesn't turn into that one. Just wanted to voice my opinion on an observation from last night.

With a bigger arena if parents are worried about what their kids hear, they can certainly find a place to take them where the words are muffled some.

I guess I question why parents should have to take their children elsewhere, simply because student chants are offensive. The REA is a family environment, whether we want it to be or not. Kids grow up idolizing players on the team, and they look forward to weekend games as much, if not more, than UND students. A lot of parents pay $400-$700 for their child to have a seat, yet their child should leave to an area of the arena where they can't hear vulgar language? I'm sure a lot of parents and children sit right next to the student section. Would their kids be allowed to sit in their seats at all during a game? I understand the students arguments, as well as yours, but your statement above was asinine.

I guess I question why parents should have to take their children elsewhere, simply because student chants are offensive. The REA is a family environment, whether we want it to be or not. Kids grow up idolizing players on the team, and they look forward to weekend games as much, if not more, than UND students. A lot of parents pay $400-$700 for their child to have a seat, yet their child should leave to an area of the arena where they can't hear vulgar language? I'm sure a lot of parents and children sit right next to the student section. Would their kids be allowed to sit in their seats at all during a game? I understand the students arguments, as well as yours, but your statement above was asinine.

I much agree that the student section should stop the chants ! ! Although they do get me kind of pumped up for the game, but for the kids they need to do something about the bad chants like having the "BAD" students leave the arena.

I much agree that the student section should stop the chants ! ! Although they do get me kind of pumped up for the game, but for the kids they need to do something about the bad chants like having the "BAD" students leave the arena.

i think this is all pretty much b.s. where is the protection of a students civil rights? yeah some cheers shouldnt be done, but where is freedom of speech here?

i think this is all pretty much b.s. where is the protection of a students civil rights? yeah some cheers shouldnt be done, but where is freedom of speech here?

So I guess in the name of "free speech" we should just throw our morals out the window? "Freedom of Speech" was designed to give us the right to speak out about our government without fear of prosecution; it wasn't intended to give people with limited vocabularies and imaginations the right to use their cuss words in public places!

It's a pretty simple solution - get more creative!

So I guess in the name of "free speech" we should just throw our morals out the window? "Freedom of Speech" was designed to give us the right to speak out about our government without fear of prosecution; it wasn't intended to give people with limited vocabularies and imaginations the right to use their cuss words in public places!

It's a pretty simple solution - get more creative!

freedom of speech was meant to give you freedom over whatever the he** you feel needs to be said. its not just about the government, why do you think when bands get sued for lyrics they take the side of free speech in defense?

point is, go to any arena in the country and sit in the student section. there is nothing different in those than ours, and no we arent better than anyone else, so dont give me that "were better so lets not sink to their level bs." yeah some of our chants are dirty and unnecessary, i said that before. but for christ sakes were not gonna clean up every chant just to please the parents who brings their children to the game.

REA is not a public building per se. Your ticket does not give a license to act like a jackass, as such you really have no "rights" on private property. Cry as many might, and do, REA can regulate the conduct of its guests as it sees fit. Rather than acting like a bunch of self-indulgent whiners, the students might exercise a degree of creativity in their chants, cheers, etc. and make a self-fulfilling student section something worth using.

Why is this a NEW thread? We already had the Dakota Student one with all the same "I should be able to do and say what I want because I'm a student" stuff over there.

I've said what I had to say about this issue and won't comment again.

And by the by, Mr. Buning is a great AD. He inherited this problem, he didn't create it.

Why is this a NEW thread? We already had the Dakota Student one with all the same "I should be able to do and say what I want because I'm a student" stuff over there.

I've said what I had to say about this issue and won't comment again.

And by the by, Mr. Buning is a great AD. He inherited this problem, he didn't create it.

Agreed and agreed.

I talked via email with Mr. Buning and he seems like a quality guy. What little feedback I got about the meeting seems like he's genuinely wishing to resolve this issue as best he can with the students in mind.

Roger Thomas, though a nice guy and an interesting person to hold a conversation with, didn't seem to really put an emphasis on what the students wanted. He seemed to hold onto the punitive side of things and, though he was willing to work with the students, he didn't hold them as partners in the issue.

I would HIGHLY suggest that students take a step back and realize that this is their BEST chance to come to a resolution that is as good as it could be for all involved.

Sioux-cia is right. Mr. Buning has been placed in a position that is basically a lose-lose scenario: appease the public, piss off the students. Appease the students, piss off the public. Both, according to what he said, are unappealing to him. He wants the middle ground. If you are willing to compromise, you will win. I'm certain of this.