SiouxSports.com Forum

pat behrns

updm002

About 10 years ago I called Behrns radio show and asked him if playing UND provided more

motivation to him since I assume he was terminated from position there. The normal jovial Behrns got defensive and basically wouldn't really acknowledge that he got fired. I didn't know if he got fired but just figured he did bc of the progressively worse record he had there over five years. Even today you will never hear our anouncer ever pose that question to him about whether being fired from UND adds extra motivation to his preparation. Did behrns actually get fired or was he allowed to resign under pressure. Either way he lost his job and apparently it still must be painful to the guy almost 20 years later.

Prediction - Mavs will make the playoffs and win one home game before being bounced. Too many defensive breakdowns to go very far.

About 10 years ago I called Behrns radio show and asked him if playing UND provided more

motivation to him since I assume he was terminated from position there. The normal jovial Behrns got defensive and basically wouldn't really acknowledge that he got fired. I didn't know if he got fired but just figured he did bc of the progressively worse record he had there over five years. Even today you will never hear our anouncer ever pose that question to him about whether being fired from UND adds extra motivation to his preparation. Did behrns actually get fired or was he allowed to resign under pressure. Either way he lost his job and apparently it still must be painful to the guy almost 20 years later.

Prediction - Mavs will make the playoffs and win one home game before being bounced. Too many defensive breakdowns to go very far.

I don't know that he was "officially" fired, but he was definitely forced out. I suspect he was essentially told to resign or be fired. He was just too young for the job. I believe he was in his late 20's when he was promoted from defensive coordinator.

I agree with you regarding UNO's probable playoff fate. I think both UNO and USD have the same problem--pass defense. UND simply didn't exploit that weakness and paid for it. Hopefully we will do so on Saturday or else another loss wouldn't surprise me.

I know I have looked at this subject in the book that former UND SID Lee Bohnet did on the history of Sioux Athletics. It was published about 10-12 years ago I think. I remember an article in there specifically saying that Behrns officially resigned but it also made it clear that he was basically forced out.

Rumor has it that he is not long for UNO. I have heard that he sold his house and is renting right now. I was also told that he wanted the AD job and he is still sore for not getting it. Again alot of rumors. Take it for what it is worth.

Coaching is a lot of pressure and stress, I wouldn't blame any coach for getting out after putting in a lot of tough years of work. The long hours they put in really have to take a toll on a person.

I think he has gotten over it a little, but their was definetely a time when he was bitter about it and he let it show. 1996 UND homecoming...., hard fought game, UND unable to finish any drives, the last drive stalled at about the UNO 40 with less than a minute to go and no timeouts left for the Sioux and UNO leads 19-7......a couple kneeldowns and game over................wrong, how about 1 knneeldown and 1 fake kneeldown and 60 yard TD pass to rub the sioux noses in it. :silly: