SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hoops Are You Serious?

bancheedog

You can't be serious? UND loses to UMC in men's hoops? That's simply astounding!!! Myron Allen or not, a team with 10 full rides, a budget bigger than most teams in the country and you lose to a winless team with about 3 full rides and budget smaller than most NAIA schools?

It's unthinkable and embarrassing if your a UND fan.

I understand teams have off days, but it just goes to say that not all NCC or NSIC team are weak. UND should be happy it's not a conference game.

I'm still in shock.

This may very well be the last straw for Rich Glas. A few years ago, I thought the home loss to a terrible Bemidji State team was the worst loss ever for UND basketball. Of course, that was until last year's Minot State debacle. Now, we may have a new low by losing a truly horrific basketball program that was winless until last night, and will be fortunate to beat anybody else this year other than maybe Morris. UND should be able to exclusively play its bottom 6 or 7 players and blow out Crookston. If a coach can't motivate his players to at least play hard--something they evidently didn't do last night--generally that coach is not around much longer.

Rich Glas is a wonderful coach, UND wouldn't hire a bad one.  I'm thinking it's not the coach but these players with their heads up in outerspace thinking they are God's gift to basketball.

I know Rich has his supporters who are behind him no matter what, and that's fine, but I think the majority of UND basketball fans feel his time has come and gone. I am a season ticket holder, and during last night's womens game there were many, many people sitting around me who felt the exact same way I do once we found out the men had managed to lose to UMC. While this isn't exactly a scientific poll, I would venture to say that a lot of people feel the same way. Let's put it this way, would Gene Roebuck lose to Crookston? Would Dale Lennon? Would Dean Blais lose to a team like Canisius? Highly unlikely. If you are a good program, there are certain teams you simply do not lose to under any circumstances. Glas has had three of these inexplicable losses during the past five years or so.

I agree not all NSIC or local non-NCC teams are weak, however, UMC had lost all their other games. This one is embarrassing, agreed. But what concerns me most is that it happens far too often.

Like the old saying "fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on you", If the players don't show up one night, that's their fault. If it happens again (or as a pattern over several seasons,) its the coaches fault.

In my opinion.

I'm not a basketball expert, but isnt bball a sport that is a little more upset prone than most sports????

Probably more so than football, but maybe no more so than hockey. In basketball, you can have an underdog team that shoots lights-out, and in hockey you can have a hot goalie. Both of which can lead to upsets.

However, in the case of recent UND mens basketball upsets, it has not seemed to be so much of a case of the underdog playing incredibly well as it has the Sioux playing incredibly bad. You just never see the UND women lose to a vastly inferior opponent.

Rich Glas in my opinion has over the years had one of the best defensive units in the NCC. He has made very good defensive players out of JUCO's who are "notoriusly offensive only" players. Many do not make two years in the NCC, but most of UND's Juco have done that and adjusted quite well so I think Rich deserves credit for that.

I think this Allen problem probably played a part in the players state of mind in Crookston.

The NCAA asking for more information especially about the agent relationship does not look good for his return and this had to play a part, but teams can play very flat at times. It may have just been a flat performance.

I think with or without Allen UND is still a good team and once that situation is cleared up maybe the the other guys will start pulling together on a more consistent manner. UND could still have a good season

I dont think Glas has had quality assistants since McDermott left years ago. Greg carried a lot of water for Rich and think back to when he was at UND.

At SDSU, we will find out this year how good Troy Larsen is as an assistant and can he recurit the quality people that Matt Morgenthaller did before he left for MSU-Mankato. Those assistants and their recruiting work are very key to a very good program. Troy is a very good coach and proved that at Morningside.

SDSU probably has three medical redshirts, Jones with Mono, Schantz with a torn ACL and Cervney broke his hand again after playing two games. So its going to be a wild and wooly NCC season.

Chusby-

In my opinion, the loss to UMC is the worst I can remember as a Sioux fan. Without Allen, UND is essentially the same team that almost made the postseason last year.

I understand upsets happen in college basketball, but this loss was ridiculous. There is no acceptable excuse for a team as talented and experienced as UND to lose to a winless team like UMC.

UMC men shock Fighting Sioux

By Bryan Sims, Sports Sims

http://www.crookstontimes.com/display/inn_...eats%20up%20UND

??? This might have been something that the UMC players would dream about. It sure wasn't something that anyone else would have ever dreamt. UMC's coach is on medical leave, so there is an interm coach. Look's like he is coming around. We were at the girls game I don't think I heard them announce the score of the boys game.

• 8 months later...

Figured this old thread needed to be resurrected to declare the UM-Crookson win over UND in the 2002-2003 men's basketball season as the season's most stunning, ridiculous, preposterous upset of any college basketball team at any level. The Massey Basketball Power Ratings declare it so:

Least Likely Results

1 12/21 MN Crookston ( 881)      79 vs North Dakota ( 194)      72  0.022

The Massey Ratings for the year's top Div II teams (with overall ratings including Div I teams) are as follows:

80 KY Wesleyan 33 4 1.437

98 St Cloud 25 5 1.364

108 NE Oklahoma 32 3 1.329

111 NE Kearney 30 3 1.319

112 Michigan Tech 29 3 1.317

129 South Dakota St 24 7 1.263

131 Metropolitan St 28 5 1.256

138 S Indiana 25 7 1.240

153 N Kentucky 25 6 1.192

161 Tarleton St 29 4 1.169

170 Washburn 26 6 1.136

177 CS San Bern. 23 7 1.110