SiouxSports.com Forum

Focus on the real Native American problems

siouxfan499

Why not?  Sioux Hockey has educated so many people about the Native of this country.  While my sons and I sit around and watch Viking football, we read the newspaper, check out Hagar the Horrible, and I educate them on the Sons of Norway, and the Vikings......

I got to hockey games because I like hockey.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the only person who has said that people go to Sioux games to learn Sioux culture is you GK.

You're trying to put words into peoples' mouths so that it "helps" your cause.

By the way, you never answered my question about why you never complain that the Sioux name is 'abusive and hostile' at work when they have Sioux Days.

Isn't that kinda "selling out"?

Goon, this is a comment people make to me all the time.  They say If the name goes, my people will disappear into history because no one will know who they are.  They say the name gives them an excellent opportunity to educate people about the Sioux. 

That is why I typed what I did.  I know many go to a hockey game just for hockey.  But it seems some use it as a time to learn history.

I would like to meet some of these people. I suppose they are the ones talking on their cell phone during the drop of the puck too.

I personally think the name is change you are going to experience resentment towards Native People. I am not saying this is wrong or right, nor am I in favor of violence to solve our problems, but I believe its going to be a reality. There is goinug to be a lot of anger by some at the people who pressed the most for the name to change. There is not going to be this great feeling of harmony some in the Social Sciences and Humanities departments the seem to think is going to happen. I think Lee Jeanoete is going to be disappointed at the anger that will be directed at him since he has been such an advocate of the change of the Fighting Sioux logo.

On the issue of History, I don't think it will affect American history all that much. Since American history is taught in the public schools and covers Native issues extensively. Some might argue about the accuracy of the lessions but that is for another discussions.

...They say the name gives them an excellent opportunity to educate people about the Sioux...I know many go to a hockey game just for hockey.  But it seems some use it as a time to learn history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you like people who are interested in learning about your heritage go to one of the reservations in North Dakota Kracker? What would they see there?

What kind of image