SiouxSports.com Forum

Tribes vote for NCAA, against UND

PCM

Sept. 9, 2005

From KFYR-TV:

North Dakota Tribes Vote Against Indian Mascots

The Board of Directors of the United Tribes of North Dakota voted unanimously to support the NCAA ban on Indian mascots, which includes a ban on UND's Fighting Sioux. This vote came following a debate earlier today with UND's president.

UND's president was at the United Tribes Summit in Bismarck to speak about higher education needs, but again and again, the topic turned to the school's Fighting Sioux logo, which was recently banned by the NCAA. Neither side seemed optimistic about progress in the discussions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucy Ganje and Leigh Jeanotte sent an "anti-appeal" to the NCAA on Thursday. Between those two events, I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA ruled on UND's appeal sometime Friday. I don't expect it to be good.

Charles Kupchella said at an intertribal council gathering on Thursday that the school aims to use the nickname and logo with "consonant respect."

Well, here's our problem. Chuck didn't enunciate and nobody knew what the hell he was talking about. :lol:

Well, here's our problem. Chuck didn't enunciate and nobody knew what the hell he was talking about. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah - it would be hard to believe a barely-above minimum wage reporter in Bismarck would mistake...

CONSONANT

for

CONSUMMATE

but then again, it's all about what appears in the "media"

Maybe CONSONANT isn't entirely wrong though...

FI-TING SOOOO!! (it's 3 consonants for anyone who's counting!) :D

Something weird's going on here. The story at the top of this thread is the only one that I can find saying that all the tribes voted against UND's use of the Sioux name and logo. There's nothing saying this in the Forum and nothing in the Herald.

This story appeared 45 minutes ago on the Bismarck Tribune's Web site. It says nothing about a vote.

What the heck is going on?

What IS going on?  This is just plain weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question. The Native American Times a short time ago posted an article similar to the KFYR-TV story. Is the NA Times repeating the KFYR story or is this something different?

Considering that this vote supposedly took place yesterday, it seems strange that no other media outlets are reporting on it. My e-mails asking for clarification from UND and KFYR-TV have gone unanswered.

Sept. 9, 2005

From KFYR-TV:

North Dakota Tribes Vote Against Indian Mascots

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure this is referring to the Tribal Council Board which consists of ten members that voted against the use of the name yesterday. WDAZ, I think, reported on this during the 6:00 news last night. There has been no vote as of yet amongst the five tribes.

I'm pretty sure this is referring to the Tribal Council Board which consists of ten members that voted against the use of the name yesterday.  WDAZ, I think, reported on this during the 6:00 news last night.  There has been no vote as of yet amongst the five tribes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems like this would be big news. Neither The Fargo Forum, the Grand Forks Herald nor the Bismarck Tribune have anything on it. And I'd think it would be all over the AP.

This council is probably quite similar to the one out of SD that, in 2001, endorsed UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name. Only that one was tossed aside as "irrelevant" and was likely full of those awful "hang around the fort" indians.

I'm sure this "council" will be looked at by 'GrahamKracker' as "official". :lol:

Or is the United Tribal Council kind of like the U.N., in which case it wouldn't be that big of deal?  Perhaps it's still possible that Spirit Lake could go back and pass their own resolution, independent of the United Tribal Council.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knows? It just seems to me that with as much media attention as this meeting generated, a unanimous vote against UND at the end of the event would have created a bigger news splash.

Regardless of the governing structure and whether there was a vote or not, there has been enough "noise" out of Bismarck this week, that I can't envision the NCAA taking UND off the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The Forum's poll might have been a bit of a bump in the road, though.