SiouxSports.com Forum

Student seating update

jimdahl

Hockey ticket plans nears(sic) finalization

He said talks during the meeting indicated that this year would see the return of general admission seating in the lower bowl.
Buning said distribution would follow Haskins' plan to divide the lower bowl tickets between Friday and Saturday nights. He said this is a result of the fact that, in years past, about 3,000 students have been vying for 600 seats.

In order to create the 1,200 opportunities in the lower bowl, student season ticket holders will each receive a lower bowl ticket for one game and an upper bowl ticket for one game for each weekend series.
In other changes, the band will move from its current spot in the upper bowl to the lower bowl.

I just don't understand why they are over complicating this. Sell 1200 or whatever season tickets and the rest being purchased on a game by game basis. Every seat in the student section is GA. Whoever gets there first, gets lower bowl. Simple. Not this half on friday/half on saturday.

Once again, this will lead to empty seats in the lower bowl because some moron decides that they don't want to go to the game. Since it is restricted to friday/saturday, no one who doesn't have a lower bowl ticket will be able to take that empty seat. If ultimately the goal of students is to have more lower bowl seating, they have to fill the lower bowl every game.

I just don't understand why the are over complicating this.  Sell 1200 or whatever season tickets and the rest being purchased on a game by game basis. Every seat in the student section is GA.  Whoever gets there first, gets lower bowl.  Simple. Not this half on friday/half on saturday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, they are just complicating the thing even more.

Is the band going to be in the student section?:glare:

I just don't understand why they are over complicating this.  Sell 1200 or whatever season tickets and the rest being purchased on a game by game basis. Every seat in the student section is GA.  Whoever gets there first, gets lower bowl.  Simple. Not this half on friday/half on saturday.

Once again, this will lead to empty seats in the lower bowl because some moron decides that they don't want to go to the game. Since it is restricted to friday/saturday, no one who doesn't have a lower bowl ticket will be able to take that empty seat. If ultimately the goal of students is to have more lower bowl seating, they have to fill the lower bowl every game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. This gives more people the opportunity to sit in the lower bowl instead of the same people over and over again. There are more than just 600 students at UND, and if a student would like the opportunity to sit in the lower bowl, then this is their opportunity. It is not about overcomplicating the issue, it is about giving everyone an opportunity to experience college hockey at its finest.

I disagree. This gives more people the opportunity to sit in the lower bowl instead of the same people over and over again. There are more than just 600 students at UND, and if a student would like the opportunity to sit in the lower bowl, then this is their opportunity. It is not about overcomplicating the issue, it is about giving everyone an opportunity to experience college hockey at its finest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get to each game early and you'll get your seat in the lower bowl. It's not that tough. With every seat being GA for every game, a student has many opportunities to experience being in the lower bowl. If they have to work on fridays, they can make it on saturdays. If they have to work both days, they can leave an hour early one day so they can get a lower bowl seat. I don't understand why you think they wouldn't.

Not everyone has the free time to show up when the REA opens up. Work schedules, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wish I was quicker to edit. :glare:

You don't have to be there when the arena opens. Getting there an half an hour - hour before the game starts would be plenty early. If even this doesn't work, you could leave work early once or twice and get a lower bowl seat. Have friends get you a seat. This works just fine. There are all sorts of ways to be able to get a lower bowl seat. Saying your work schedule doesn't allow it is making an excuse.

You also say that everyone should be allowed to experience being in the lower bowl. Then you should agree with my idea. The current plan, only 1200 students get to sit in the lower bowl. If everything was GA, every student would have the opportunity.

And now you deleted your post. Dangit! Now I look like an idiot. Moreso. ???

I'm not a huge fan of GA. When it's General Admission, you have one person gettting there early, and trying to save twenty seats for people who can't get there at the same time. If you can find a way to keep people from doing that stuff, GA would be fine...otherwise there are going to be a lot of unhappy students who get there early, but can't get a seat in the lower bowl, because they're all taken by about 50 people and tons of coats. I think the best idea so far is to sell reserved tickets for the lower bowl the week of the games, make it reserved seating, and let the students pick their seats so they can sit in groups with friends...this half and half talk is not very smart...the main goal should be to fill the lower bowl with the students that want the tickets the most...any of this other stuff will only provide yet another weak crowd, just like last year. Selling the tickets at about 6 am on the week of the games is the best way to do that...If you're not willing to be up and ready to get tickets, you don't deserve to have those seats...

Get to each game early and you'll get your seat in the lower bowl. It's not that tough. With every seat being GA for every game, a student has many opportunities to experience being in the lower bowl. If they have to work on fridays, they can make it on saturdays. If they have to work both days, they can leave an hour early one day so they can get a lower bowl seat. I don't understand why you think they wouldn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not everyone would like to show up to REA 2 hours before game time. This idea eliminates having to sit outside when it is 20 below and then sitting another hour in your seats just to make sure no one takes them. This will provide some order to a mess of a student ticket situation.

Take the University of Minnesota. They alternate their student season tickets as well. You can buy season tickets to either all of the Friday night games or all of the Saturday. I know that you can buy both nights but it gets to be very spendy. UND's plan is better because you can still see the game live both nights, but just not in the same seat. I would rather be in the arena for both games than do what Minnesota does and see one in person and watch the other at a bar.

Not everyone would like to show up to REA 2 hours before game time. This idea eliminates having to sit outside when it is 20 below and then sitting another hour in your seats just to make sure no one takes them. This will provide some order to a mess of a student ticket situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So some people want seats, but don't want to sit outside to make sure they get them? Please. Sitting outside when it is -20 is what earns you those seats. If you aren't willing to sit outside, why do you deserve those seats above someone who is willing to do that? Just because you want the seat? Well so does that person who is sitting outside and he is willing to do more than you to get that seat. Those fans that are willing to sit outside for 7 hours to get good seats for the Gophers are the truely passionate fans. They certainly deserve lower bowl seats. You want a rabid student section? Make it GA, first come, first served.

Look at the Alerus. Every game is GA and it is simple. The atmosphere is also rabid. No one complains about anything to do with seating. Why? Because it is simple and it works. Remember KISS. It usually works best.

Since this is going to be what happens though, I guess arguing over it doesn't matter much. But how is it going to work? Since it is going to be GA, how will they know if you have a ticket for the lower blow on friday or saturday?

So some people want seats, but don't want to sit outside to make sure they get them? Please. Sitting outside when it is -20 is what earns you those seats. If you aren't willing to sit outside, why do you deserve those seats above someone who is willing to do that? Just because you want the seat? Well so does that person who is sitting outside and he is willing to do more than you to get that seat. Those fans that are willing to sit outside for 7 hours to get good seats for the Gophers are the truely passionate fans. They certainly deserve lower bowl seats. You want a rabid student section? Make it GA, first come, first served.

Look at the Alerus. Every game is GA and it is simple. The atmosphere is also rabid. No one complains about anything to do with seating. Why? Because it is simple and it works. Remember KISS. It usually works best.

Since this is going to be what happens though, I guess arguing over it doesn't matter much. But how is it going to work? Since it is going to be GA, how will they know if you have a ticket for the lower blow on friday or saturday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Diggler... My friends and I use to head out to the games at least 1 1/2 early to get a good seat. It was the Old Ralph so we use to try and sit at center ice. If you want a great seat you have to show up early. Plain and simple. If you don't want to show up early you better have some nice friends who are willing to show up early and save you a seat.

I agree with Diggler... My friends and I use to head out to the games at least 1 1/2 early to get a good seat. It was the Old Ralph so we use to try and sit at center ice. If you want a great seat you have to show up early. Plain and simple. If you don't want to show up early you better have some nice friends who are willing to show up early and save you a seat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am also not a student anymore so I guess my opion really doesn't matter :glare: