SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughtful North Dakota fans

JESUS,family,rutgers

I wanted all of you Fighting Sioux fans out there to know what a terrific group of people you are associated with. Last Fall, I started following North Dakota and using your website. It has been a very difficult year personally and for my family. Two of your fans have gone out of their way to do some very thoughtful things. With all of the selfish,shallow, and "look at me--aren't I great" aspects of sports we see too much of these days, it is heartwarming to be reminded that sports is about people and fun. Although I am not a resident of North Dakota or an alumnus, I am proud to follow the team--whether you win 1 game a year or a National Championship. If these two people are representative of North Dakota, you live in a great community.

Hello UND83,

Here in New Jersey there is not a lot of TV coverage for college hockey, but when it has been on I really enjoyed it. Lasy year I finally through in the towel on my Scarlet Knights starting an NCAA Division 1 hockey program. I also have been totally turned off on pro sports the last five years or so and CSTV,FoxSports, and now ESPNU have started showing more games. I started bouncing around the college hockey websites to find a team to follow. I always root for the Davids against Goliaths so I didn't want to follow the sports factories--Minn.,Wisc.,Mich.,Mich. State,Ohio State,etc. I was looking at North Dakota, Maine, and Minnesota-Duluth. This probably sounds lame, but I decided on North Dakota because I liked the Fighting Sioux name and the uniforms. AFTER I picked UND, I found out that the Sioux were seven-time National Champions, had a great football program too, and had fine facilities. Glad I chose North Dakota and whenever I wear my Sioux jersey(2), people always take a second look and tell me how cool it looks. Once I tell them that North Dakota is 7-time National Champions, they can't believe it.

Hello UND83,

Here in New Jersey there is not a lot of TV coverage for college hockey, but when it has been on I really enjoyed it. Lasy year I finally through in the towel on my Scarlet Knights starting an NCAA Division 1 hockey program. I also have been totally turned off on pro sports the last five years or so and CSTV,FoxSports, and now ESPNU have started showing more games. I started bouncing around the college hockey websites to find a team to follow. I always root for the Davids against Goliaths so I didn't want to follow the sports factories--Minn.,Wisc.,Mich.,Mich. State,Ohio State,etc. I was looking at North Dakota, Maine, and Minnesota-Duluth. This probably sounds lame, but I decided on North Dakota because I liked the Fighting Sioux name and the uniforms. AFTER I picked UND, I found out that the Sioux were seven-time National Champions, had a great football program too, and had fine facilities. Glad I chose North Dakota and whenever I wear my Sioux jersey(2), people always take a second look and tell me how cool it looks. Once I tell them that North Dakota is 7-time National Champions, they can't believe it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome post Jesus! Glad your aboard. I think you chose the greatest college hockey program that exists today. There is a mystique about the Fighting Sioux tradition and it is very addicting. Have you been to the MECCA yet?.....aka The Ralph?

As PCM said, that is a great story. Actually it made my day to hear it. That's the way I feel about UND and the Fighting Sioux. I grew up near Grand Forks but now live in Minnesota so I don't make it to as many games as I would like. But I love hearing people talk about UND and your story was especially fun to hear.

Thanks for the great words.

Thanks guys!

Sioux7, the closest I have been to North Dakota is the wild,wild west of Dayton,Ohio! I asked last year about the Sioux playing at Princeton or Army, but the consensus was that is not likely to happen. My guess is that both of these arenas is too small for a long trip East to break even and neither of these teams is near the top 20 in college hockey. Just a note though, Princeton has a beautiful old arena that looks a little like a church and Army has a brand new arena next to their football stadium and a lake. I can't root for Princeton though because that was the big rival for Rutgers until we joined the Big East plus they have a history of not recruiting New Jersey athletes for their sports teams. New Hampshire would be a nice trip, but due to family situations that probably won't happen this year. Hopefully, the Sioux will be playing one of the Boston schools--BU,BC, Northeastern, or Harvard next year.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

Actually, UND played at Princeton on Nov. 1, 2002. I'll never forget listening to that game on the radio because Tim Hennessy, the voice of the Fighting Sioux, almost got into a fight with the Princeton AD while on the air. :D

Great story, with all the negativity around here the last couple of days, this was a breath of fresh air.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. With all that has suddenly started surrounding the athletic department, it is nice to remember why we are all really fans.

I am so excited for the football game tomorrow!!!!!

Actually, UND played at Princeton on Nov. 1, 2002. I'll never forget listening to that game on the radio because Tim Hennessy, the voice of the Fighting Sioux, almost got into a fight with the Princeton AD while on the air.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the Yale AD he almost got in a fight with. Stop besmirching the good people at Princeton. :p

I lived in Princeton for 4 months. Campus is absolutely beautiful. I regret I didn't get to see a hockey game there; left much too early to take in a lot of things.

Thanks for the kind words, JESUS,family,rutgers. We dig the Fighting Sioux very much. No racism here. Just midwestern hockey nuts who love Red Pepper grinders and mom's hot dish. Hopefully you can come to Grand Forks someday to see the Sioux live; you won't believe the arena!

taz