SiouxSports.com Forum

Lefty McFadden Tournament

NorthDakotaHockey

OK. We bit. Last season end in Columbus, OH on a great run.

This season begin in Dayton, OH on what may well be a magical run.

Lefty McFadden tickets went on sale today. Punch in "Nutter Center" as a venue on Git yer tickets here.

Sioux v. Miami Redhawks at 7:30 pm Saturday, October 8.

Sioux v. Michigan State Spartans at 3:00 pm Sunday, October 9.

Be there, or be square.

Or not. Long drive. Great road trip. Ohio out. Ohio in. Symmetrical Karma.

Bought my tickets today, Section 221, Row 5 (behind visiting bench).

My kids are dying to see the Fighting Sioux play and as Dayton is only about 5 hours south, it's now a family weekend. Sort of a Michigan contigent...

Would any one have any advice or knowledge of practice times, access to practices (if any) or access to the team so the kids could possibly get autographs/photos? This was originally going to be a big beer drinking/hockey weekend but it's turning into somewhat of a family friendly outing (with some beer) so I thought I would try to make the most of it for the kids. It's sort of a "life-time" event for them (ages 10 and 7).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, how many posters here would/could make this tournament?

Thanks...

• 1 month later...
Anyone know a good hotel to stay at that is close to the arena ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux are staying at the Marriott Dayton on Patterson Blvd. I assume, but am not certain, that that is close to the arena. The Marriott will be able to tell you. If not, we can cart you.

Call 1-800-450-8625 and ask for the "Lefty McFadden Fan Block" The rate is

$89/night. You can also book online at www.marriott.com/DAYOH by

entering the dates needed and LDBLDBA in the group code field.

I have been told on good authority that the team is arriving in Dayton on the 7th and will depart right after the Sunday afternoon game.

The Sioux are staying at the Marriott Dayton on Patterson Blvd. I assume, but am not certain, that that is close to the arena. The Marriott will be able to tell you. If not, we can cart you.

Call 1-800-450-8625 and ask for the "Lefty McFadden Fan Block" The rate is

$89/night. You can also book online at www.marriott.com/DAYOH by

entering the dates needed and LDBLDBA in the group code field.

I have been told on good authority that the team is arriving in Dayton on the 7th and will depart right after the Sunday afternoon game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info! I also appreciate the ride offer but I should have a rental.

It looks like this hotel is about 10 miles from the arena. I did find a Fairfield Inn that is across the street so I'm not sure which one I'll stay at. If I ask my daughter I'm sure she'll pick the hotel where the team is staying.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info! I also appreciate the ride offer but I should have a rental.

It looks like this hotel is about 10 miles from the arena. I did find a Fairfield Inn that is across the street so I'm not sure which one I'll stay at. If I ask my daughter I'm sure she'll pick the hotel where the team is staying.

Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is no longer availability at the Marriot and you're looking for something really close and cheap (relatively speaking), the Ramada Inn in Fairborn (www.ramadafairborn1.com) is right next to Wright State University which is where the tournament is played (Nutter Center). I had reserved a room there for $74.00 before I had learned about the Dayton Marriot; thus I made the switch. It was about the cheapest hotel I could find (that seemed of any quality any way).

It seems strange that Wright State University would build a 12,000-seat on campus arena and not have a hockey program. Did they have one in the past?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know they currently don't have an ice hockey program (I'm not aware of a club either). I'm not sure if they ever had one though.

They do use it for the Dayton Bombers which is a AA ECHL hockey team and for the Wright State basketball program along with concerts, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for the real season to begin . . . .

The Miami (Ohio) Redskins, er, I mean Redhawks, and the Michigan State Spartans ought to present some greater challenges, on the road, in front of what will be an interesting crowd to say the least.

Miami gave Denver a run for their money two years back at The World. The next night, Denver ragged out a 1-0 victory over North Dakota to go to Boston.

Cripes. With but a couple of breaks and bounces, the Sioux would be on a B2B Roll. That's college hockey. Greatest game on earth.

790 miles to Dayton. We'll drive that in our sleep. Literally.

Also, how many posters here would/could make this tournament?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I am playing in the USSSA Fall State softball tournament this weekend, otherwise I'd be in for this gig in a heartbeat. I'd probably even find a way to stop in Columbus and re-visit the now infamous Platinum Fox. :lol:

did i hear Platinum Fox!! more like the OLD RUSTY FOX :lol:

Sorry, I am playing in the USSSA Fall State softball tournament this weekend, otherwise I'd be in for this gig in a heartbeat. I'd probably even find a way to stop in Columbus and re-visit the now infamous Platinum Fox. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You missed a good show on Saturday night when we finally convinced the HOT HOT HOT bartender to get up on stage. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody know if this is going to be televised at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure MafiaMan will agree, I don't think they can put a show like that on TV. At least it wouldn't be something for the whole family to watch. :lol:

Maybe you should see if a hockey game is on TV. :lol:

Seriously, the games aren't telivised but Tim Henessy will be calling the play by play for the radio back at home. ;)