SiouxSports.com Forum

Bowenkamp Update

ESPNInsider

These are not that great, but give a little input on what the people close to the Vikes are thinking.

Here is a little caption telling about Bowenkamp and what Vikings Beat writers think.

Entering Camp

Bowenkamp left the University of North Dakota as the team's all-time leader in completion percentage and among the top six in school history in attempts, completions, yards and touchdowns. Bowenkamp's best season came as a junior when he led the Fighting Sioux to an NCAA Division II runner-up finish. Bowenkamp saw limited action as a senior due to injury. Bowenkamp is known for his strong arm and could challenge Shaun Hill for the No. 3 quarterback spot on the depth chart. However, he'll have to show a better grasp of the offense and more poise behind center than he did in developmental camp.

Here's a little caption about one of his days at Developemental camp.

Former North Dakota QB and Lakeville, MN native John Bowenkamp led the fourth possession. To say the rookie free agent struggled would be putting it mildly, but in the end he was able to keep the offense perfect on the day. On his 4th play from scrimmage Bowencamp hit fellow rookie wide receiver Christopher Jones for a 25-yard gain. Four plays later Jones was on the receiving end once again, this time in the end zone making a spectacular one handed catch for a touchdown.

And here is the latest blip on what they want out of him.

The real depth chart battle will be at the No. 3 spot, where Shaun Hill hasn't shown much progress in his three years in the Vikings organization. The coaching staff would like to see a third quarterback that has potential to at least eventually turn into a backup signal caller, which is why rookie John Bowenkamp could give Hill some competition in training camp for the third quarterback spot.

• 2 weeks later...

From a suburban Twin Cities paper:

Bowenkamp working hard at Vikings training camp

His decision to go to North Dakota was a great decision and Bowenkamp wouldn’t change anything about his time there.

“Look at these guys that went to the smaller Division I schools. They played a lot of meaningless games,” Bowenkamp said. “At North Dakota every game counted for something because we were in the playoff hunt. It was great. I got to play on ESPN twice.”

After three great seasons at North Dakota, Bowenkamp struggled his senior year in 2004 because he tore his lat muscle in his throwing arm.

He tried to play through it but only managed to play in five games and threw only 88 passes.

“I got hurt early in two-a-days and tried to play the first two games but couldn’t do it,” Bowenkamp said.

With that type of senior year, the NFL scouts weren’t interested in Bowenkamp.

“I was pretty much off the radar, as far as making a football team because I didn’t have any tape, I barely played and the tape I did have, I struggled,” Bowenkamp said.

But he played well enough his first three seasons at North Dakota that some scouts knew who he was.

So he attended the University of Minnesota Pro Day, where scouts from the NFL come to the University of Minnesota to scout potential NFL players from Minnesota and surrounding schools.

Bowenkamp left an impression with the Vikings quarterback coach Rich Olson

Well, tonight's Vikings pre-season game was pretty pathetic. Bowenkamp didn't even see the field. I don't understand that. Unless he has been extremely poor in practice, I don't see why the coaching staff would not want to at least see him take a few snaps in only the 2nd preseason game. I understand that Hill had a nice third quarter, leading the offense to two TDs, but still, I would think that Tice would want to see all four QB's play in the game, especially since Hill has been with the team for three years, they've seen alot of him and shown little development. Tice is hands down the worst coach in the NFL. His skills were evident tonight by the 15 or 16 penalties that the Viqueens accumulated.

Well, tonight's Vikings pre-season game was pretty pathetic.  Bowenkamp didn't even see the field.  I don't understand that.  Unless he has been extremely poor in practice, I don't see why the coaching staff would not want to at least see him take a few snaps in only the 2nd preseason game.  I understand that Hill had a nice third quarter, leading the offense to two TDs, but still, I would think that Tice would want to see all four QB's play in the game, especially since Hill has been with the team for three years, they've seen alot of him and shown little development.  Tice is hands down the worst coach in the NFL.  His skills were evident tonight by the 15 or 16 penalties that the Viqueens accumulated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was not able to watch the game last night, but I wouldn't worry about John getting some game reps just yet. Their are different ways to do things and he might end up with a bunch of playing time during one game (which I think is a better way to handle it). If he comes into a game and gets 4 or 5 snaps it will not give a very accurate picture of what he can or cannot do. Besides, Hill threw one Touch and one Pick while only going 8/20. Hill might actually play himself out of a roster spot.

Well, tonight's Vikings pre-season game was pretty pathetic.  Bowenkamp didn't even see the field.  I don't understand that.  Unless he has been extremely poor in practice, I don't see why the coaching staff would not want to at least see him take a few snaps in only the 2nd preseason game.  I understand that Hill had a nice third quarter, leading the offense to two TDs, but still, I would think that Tice would want to see all four QB's play in the game, especially since Hill has been with the team for three years, they've seen alot of him and shown little development.  Tice is hands down the worst coach in the NFL.  His skills were evident tonight by the 15 or 16 penalties that the Viqueens accumulated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tice is the worst coach in the NFL?? wow you are funny, you might need to take a closer look at some other teams in the NFL. yeah 15-16 penalties but 9 or 10 of them were by rookie special teams players looking to make a spot for themselves on the team, tice is not the special teams coach buddy, his specialty is OFFENSIVE LINE and oh yeah the vikings were only top 5 in the league for offensive, pretty bad huh?? He also made alot of great moves to improve the defense by pickin up pat williams, darren sharper, Erasmus James, and Fred Smoot (only to mention a few). So I dont think that he is such a bad coach. By the way i see you are a patroits fan, atleast untill they stop winning huh?(bandwagoner).

• 8 months later...

Here's a quick update on John Bowenkamp in NFL Europe.

1 completion, 5 attempts, 10 yards, 1 INT

Rhein Fire

Too bad he got stuck on a team behind the great Drew Henson ;) . The 2nd and 3rd string QB's on every other NFL Europe team have seen alot more action than Rhein's back-ups. ???

It seems like John has had a run of bad luck. First the injury early in his senior season. Then signing with an NFL team that had Culpepper and a Super Bowl champ for a back-up (Brad Johnson). Then getting released before Culpepper got hurt and the roster spot for another QB opened up. Then going to Europe and getting stuck behind Henson, who seems to get as many chances as he wants. Has he tried the NBA yet?

It would not be a big shocker if the viks don't pick up Brooks Bollinger. The jets have 4 QBS on the roster and Brooks in his last year and he played for childrees at badger land. With them picking up RAMSEY nad paying him big bucks and they just got aQB in the 2nd round. I would love to see Brooks go to the viks and get him out of NY.

It would not be a big shocker if the viks don't pick up Brooks Bollinger. The jets have 4 QBS on the roster and Brooks in his last year and he played for childrees at badger land. With them picking up RAMSEY nad paying him big bucks and they just got aQB in the 2nd round. I would love to see Brooks go to the viks and get him out of NY.