SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA hockey video game

PCM

As some of you know, a running joke on college hockey forums is poking fun at newbies who post messages asking why nobody makes an NCAA hockey video game. But as this new SiouxSports.com photo gallery and the image I posted below show, such a game does exist.

Actually, it's a modification for the EA Sports NHL 2004 game for personal computers (it won't work on the PS2 or other game consoles). The good news is that NHL 2004 is usually available at bargain-basement prices from such stores as Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Buy the game, install it on your computer and download the NCAA 2004 files here. Be sure to download and read the notes text file which explains how to properly install the game mod.

Once you have the game mod files properly installed, the game is really a lot of fun to play. And even though the 03-04 Sioux didn't go all the way, they're darn good compared to the competition. Besides, who can resist bringing back the Money Line for another shot at the Denver Pioneers and a national championship? :D

ref_dancing.jpg

I call this one Dances with Adam.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS

• The main file for this game mod is about 230MB. If you don't have high-speed Internet access, it will probably take you several hours to download it over a dial-up connection. Make sure that you dowload all three files and read the notes to understand how to install the files properly.

• Installation of the mod files requires that you have a program such as WinZip to unpack the compressed files. You should also have some familiarity with the Windows file system. Otherwise, you might run into problems getting the correct files into the proper folders. It's not terribly difficult, but it helps to know what you're doing.

• If you're having problems getting the game set up to run properly, feel free to post a message here, PM me or e-mail me. You can also e-mail Mike McClure at mike@analogrecordings.com. He is the person making this game mod available, although he is not the sole designer. It was actually put together by a team of people over a couple of years.

• Nearly all of the team rosters are from the 2003-2004 season. The rosters and player ratings aren't as accurate as they should be, although the Sioux team isn't too far off. I've used an editing program called NHL View to make the Sioux more realistic. Also, be aware that the Gophers are NOT the 2003-2004 team, but are intended to represent the 2005-2006 Minnesota team with Phil Kessel and other Gopher "super recruits." In time, I plan to edit the Gophers to have their roster reflect the 2003-2004 Minnesota team.

• By computer gaming standards, NHL 2004 (first released in 2003) is an old game. However, if you have an old computer or an "el cheapo" video card, it might not play well on your computer. Or it might not play at all. Here are the recommended system requirements:

Operating system - Windows XP, 98, ME or 2000
    CPU - 700MHZ or faster
    RAM - 256MB or Windows XP or 2000
    Disk drive - 8x or faster CD or DVD drive
    Hard drive - 820MB of free disk space (probably even more for the mod)
    Sound - DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    Input - A game pad controller works best
    Video - DirectX 8.1 compatible video card with at least 32MB of video RAM with an Nvida GeForce 256 or ATI Radeon 7200 or better chipset. (The game will work with other video cards, but those made by Nvidia and ATI are by far the most common.)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! Thanks for the great post! One quick question - how many NCAA hockey teams are there to choose from? Does it allow you to play through all modes (season, tournament, etc)?

Thanks again - You know I will be buying this at Best Buy tomorrow!

One quick question - how many NCAA hockey teams are there to choose from?  Does it allow you to play through all modes (season, tournament, etc)? 

That's two quick questions. :D

I haven't made a list of all the teams, but offhand, all the WCHA teams are there and it looks like all Hockey East and CCHA teams are included.

I haven't tried any other mode except a season. However, it appears that you can do everything with this mod that you could do in NHL 2004.

As some of you know, a running joke on college hockey forums is poking fun at newbies who post messages asking why nobody makes an NCAA hockey video game. But as this new SiouxSports.com photo gallery and the image I posted below show, such a game does exist.

Actually, it's a modification for the EA Sports NHL 2004 game for personal computers (it won't work on the PS2 or other game consoles). The good news is that NHL 2004 is usually available at bargain-basement prices from such stores as Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Buy the game, install it on your computer and download the NCAA 2004 files here. Be sure to download and read the notes text file which explains how to properly install the game mod.

Once you have the game mod files properly installed, the game is really a lot of fun to play. And even though the 03-04 Sioux didn't go all the way, they're darn good compared to the competition. Besides, who can resist bringing back the Money Line for another shot at the Denver Pioneers and a national championship?  :D

ref_dancing.jpg

I call this one Dances with Adam.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS

• The main file for this game mod is about 230MB. If you don't have high-speed Internet access, it will probably take you several hours to download it over a dial-up connection. Make sure that you dowload all three files and read the notes to understand how to install the files properly.

• Installation of the mod files requires that you have a program such as WinZip to unpack the compressed files. You should also have some familiarity with the Windows file system. Otherwise, you might run into problems getting the correct files into the proper folders. It's not terribly difficult, but it helps to know what you're doing.

• If you're having problems getting the game set up to run properly, feel free to post a message here, PM me or e-mail me. You can also e-mail Mike McClure at mike@analogrecordings.com. He is the person making this game mod available, although he is not the sole designer. It was actually put together by a team of people over a couple of years.

• Nearly all of the team rosters are from the 2003-2004 season. The rosters and player ratings aren't as accurate as they should be, although the Sioux team isn't too far off. I've used an editing program called NHL View to make the Sioux more realistic. Also, be aware that the Gophers are NOT the 2003-2004 team, but are intended to represent the 2005-2006 Minnesota team with Phil Kessel and other Gopher "super recruits." In time, I plan to edit the Gophers to have their roster reflect the 2003-2004 Minnesota team.

• By computer gaming standards, NHL 2004 (first released in 2003) is an old game. However, if you have an old computer or an "el cheapo" video card, it might not play well on your computer. Or it might not play at all. Here are the recommended system requirements:

Operating system - Windows XP, 98, ME or 2000
    CPU - 700MHZ or faster
    RAM - 256MB or Windows XP or 2000
    Disk drive - 8x or faster CD or DVD drive
    Hard drive - 820MB of free disk space (probably even more for the mod)
    Sound - DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    Input - A game pad controller works best
    Video - DirectX 8.1 compatible video card with at least 32MB of video RAM with an Nvida GeForce 256 or ATI Radeon 7200 or better chipset. (The game will work with other video cards, but those made by Nvidia and ATI are by far the most common.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So in order to play this game i must buy NHL 2004 or will this work for 2005 on PC

will i be able to create new players and add them to the sioux roster to represent the 04 05 sioux roster?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing that you can do it. The fastest way would probably be to use the NHL View editor to change the existing players' names, information and ratings rather than creating completely new players. Be aware, however, that all other teams (except Minnesota) are based on the 03-04 rosters. You can get the latest version of NHL View here.

Just bought the game at Target for $10. I installed all necessary modifications and it works perfectly! It is definitely something special to defeat the gophers over and over again!

Another question PCM - I took some screen shots of the game (to send to friends) but noticed the file extention is a TGA file. How did you get your screenshots to display on your PC?

Thanks again for posting this...awesome!

I get Game Informer Magazine (insert joke here...). A couple of months ago there was commentary about an interview with the director of NCAA licensing who hinted that there would be licensing announcements forthcoming for NCAA baseball, lacrosse, and hockey games.

Not a direct quote...

I got NHL 2004 off of EBAY for $10.

Some auctions have a "best offer" button, I chose this option and offered the seller $10 and they pay shipping and it was accepted almost immediately.

PCM - What is the URL to download the add on file(s)?

That's very cool. I wonder how difficult it would be to modify the NCAA football game to make D2 teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very would be my guess since it is only available on PS2 and XBox. You would need a mod chip for your PS2/XBox since you would not be able to use the original disc. You would also need a computer program that can edit and replace PS2/XBox files. Unless you can somehow get ahold of what EA uses, you would most likely have to create this program yourself.

Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong.

How long has this patch been out?

I saw my brother playing it a few months ago and heard him talking about it last year.

I believe this particular set of graphics was put together by the guys at doubleminor just last winter. However, there have been pretty continuous attempts at such mods -- the last full version I recall was for NHL 99, though once you've made the graphics you can drop them into new versions with substantially less effort.

DaveK - I tried to port one of the earlier PC mods (around '99, I think, when the models were much simpler) to my chipped Playstation. The first 75% of these things goes fast, then the final 25% takes forever. Throwing together rosters and stats is a manageable text manipulation project. Putting appropriate logos on a jersey template isn't bad (the graphics are stored as 2D flattened representations that are then folded over and around the 3D models at runtime, but most of the warping occurs on the sides, so you get pretty good results treating the front and back as flat surfaces). Then you want to get more of the jersey details right, then the NHL ads on the boards start to bother you, and the NHL jerseys on fans in the stands, etc... Pretty soon you're noticing that even with Sioux logos, the MCI Center doesn't look much like REA...

Very would be my guess since it is only available on PS2 and XBox.

Great point.

How long has this patch been out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first time the NCAA mod came out about a year ago, it only had Hockey East and CCHA teams. I'm not sure who is responsible for adding the other teams. Until recently, I thought the project was dead.

I created a custom Sioux team using Dallas Stars jerseys and used it to play the other the other college teams. However, it's not as much fun as playing the WCHA teams, too. Also with the first mod, it was very difficult to install correctly. I never could get all the arena graphics to work right. Although it may not seem like it, this version is much easier to install.

I didn't realize that. Maybe it could be done using the Madden game? I have no idea how the process works, but if somebody can modify the Colorado Avalanche to look like the Sioux hockey team they could probably also make the New Orleans Saints look like the Sioux football team. Does anybody here know how the modifying process works? I'm fascinated by how the NHL teams became NCAA teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know there are some utilities that make it easier to convert image files into the textures that NHL 2004 uses. I've never tried it myself. However, I do know that there were quite a few people working for more than a year on the NCAA mod for NHL 2004. It's not a simple process. And then there's the collecting of information for the player and team database files. Oy.

I believe this particular set of graphics was put together by the guys at doubleminor just last winter.

That's correct. I remember during the 03-04 season, some of the designers were asking on the USCHO forums for shots of arenas and goalie equipment. I sent them some digital shots of the Ralph's scoreboard and center ice artwork, as well as the pads and masks for Brandt and Parise. I never heard anything about whether it helped, but the photo of REA that's shown on the game launch screen appears to be one I sent them.

However, there have been pretty continuous attempts at such mods -- the last full version I recall was for NHL 99, though once you've made the graphics you can drop them into new versions with substantially less effort.

Actually, it was NHL 2000 (which was released in 1999). I still have that mod on my computer and play it now and then.

If I could turn back time...

Oh wait, I can!

Here's my fictional recap of a fictional rematch between Denver and UND during the 2004 NCAA west region playoffs using the NCAA game mod for NHL 2004. I probably should have used the editing program to take Conner James out of the DU lineup because he was still injured then and didn't play. However, in my rematch, James certainly made the game closer and more exciting. I played this game at the medium level of difficulty using my edited version of the 03-04 Sioux.

March 27, 2004

Fuher, Lundbohm send North Dakota to Boston

COLORADO SPRINGS - For the second straight year, the Denver Pioneers can blame North Dakota's Nick Fuher for ending their season.

The junior defenseman

My buddy had the mod for this on computer about 3 years ago.  We played with NCAA teams all the time.  The graphics appear to be much better now, as back then the only changes were the jerseys, name of the team and logo at center ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would have been the NCAA mod for NHL 2000. It was good when it came out, but it's now quite dated. I played the heck out of that mod for a couple of years. It's still on my computer, although I haven't played it for ages.