SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Here is the box score for the RR vs Jamestown game from the Grand Forks Herald.

GF RED RIVER 4, JAMESTOWN 1

First period - 1. RR, Jarrett Galbreath 4:35; 2. RR, Jake Brown (Ryan LaDouceur, Galbreath) 14:23

Second period - 3. RR, Eric Meland (Brad Benke, Galbreath) 5:39

Third period - 4. Marc Mihulka (Galbreath, Meland) 1:17; 5, J, Brett Ritchie (Adam Silewski) 4:23

Goalie saves - RR: Eli Rosendahl 2-4-4 - 10; J: Corey Grothman 13-14-14 - 41

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "Dave K ran his mouth"? Are you some kind of Bison zealot or something? You must be, because those are the only kind of people I run mouth to on this forum.

All I was talking about is when there was a big fight between Fargo hockey and Grand Forks hockey. I just don't want another big off topic fight to start on this thread.

I heard from someone on the radio that minot got beat 4-3 with .08 seconds remaining in overtime, mcbain and haugstad both had 2 goals and they each assisted on eachothers

After surfing the North Dakota newspapers online, including the Hazen Star, I finally e-mailed the paper and they confirmed that Hazen-Beulah beat Minot 4-3 in overtime. Interesting that the story/score did not get out on the line for the other papers to pick up. Big win for H-B.

After surfing the North Dakota newspapers online, including the Hazen Star, I finally e-mailed the paper and they confirmed that Hazen-Beulah beat Minot 4-3 in overtime. Interesting that the story/score did not get out on the line for the other papers to pick up. Big win for H-B.

Interesting in what sense? Remember this was a 8pm central start, 7 mountain. The game went to overtime and didn't finish until the final seconds (6 to be exact) of OT. Most local tv station's sports broadcasts were already on OR over, and a lot of daily newspapers were already printing before the score was called in (if it ever was). It is normally the job the hometown team to call in the scores to AP or local tv stations. And yes, a big win for Hazen-Beulah. Alex Hermes was the story ... 60 saves on 63 shots.

Interesting in what sense? Remember this was a 8pm central start, 7 mountain. The game went to overtime and didn't finish until the final seconds (6 to be exact) of OT. Most local tv station's sports broadcasts were already on OR over, and a lot of daily newspapers were already printing before the score was called in (if it ever was). It is normally the job the hometown team to call in the scores to AP or local tv stations. And yes, a big win for Hazen-Beulah. Alex Hermes was the story ... 60 saves on 63 shots.

I have to give credit where credit is due....man, what a goaltending performance. I've talked to some people from Minot, and they said it was some great goaltending. Not a bad performance from Minot though. Any time you get 63 shots on goal your doing something pretty good. :huh:

I realize the differences in time zone. I simply think it is interesting that an undefeated team (in the West Region) is beaten on January 28th and on the morning of January 30th you cannot find any public record of the event - at least on the websites of any North Dakota newspapers. In my view it is a significant accomplishment and deserves some attention. That it has received no attention I find interesting - and too bad. Sometimes, on Bob Gillen's site you will find some sort of headline when a top team like Minot plays another team. I know Bob is busy and has been out of town so I am not faulting him - but you would think some sports writer somewhere would put it in as a late score. Whatever the nature of the game I just think a team deserves some exposure and credit with they pull off an upset like that. Maybe you have to fault the local media up there for not getting it out. I e-mailed the paper and asked them about the game and they gave me the score.

You seem to know details only a player, team personnel or maybe a family member of a RR player would know. Either way discussing player injuries is not a good idea.

Not the best idea soohockey to release the type of injury a player has. It's not a good idea to discuss them as said by X2theZ.

So many times in a year we criticize the goalie for 10-0 or 7-0 or whatever games and so many times they do all they can do. I guess what I am trying to say is that there has been a lot of speculation to who is the best goalie in the state - But what if Kringstad played for the lowly B-W Blades, what if Rosendal or Deichert played for a team like Bottineau or Jamestown. Would their stats still be in the 92-95% range? Do you think those goalies are that good or do you think their teams have a lot to do with that? I really don't feel that Deichert has been tested a whole lot averaging probably under 15 shots a game (haven't done the math). Don't get me wrong all these goalies are great but just tell me how you think they would do on weaker teams? Would they still be All-State or All-Conference Selections? I don't know if sometimes stats can reflect how a goalie does. Anybody else have any thoughts? ....(maybe a bit off topic i guess, but i always think about this)

As a goaltender's father, I have to applaud you for what you just stated.

As a former goalie, in general I agree......however, I always found it much more difficult to get "into the zone" when I was facing only a few shots per period. It's tough to get hot when you don't get many shots!!

So many times in a year we criticize the goalie for 10-0 or 7-0 or whatever games and so many times they do all they can do. I guess what I am trying to say is that there has been a lot of speculation to who is the best goalie in the state - But what if Kringstad played for the lowly B-W Blades, what if Rosendal or Deichert played for a team like Bottineau or Jamestown. Would their stats still be in the 92-95% range? Do you think those goalies are that good or do you think their teams have a lot to do with that? I really don't feel that Deichert has been tested a whole lot averaging probably under 15 shots a game (haven't done the math). Don't get me wrong all these goalies are great but just tell me how you think they would do on weaker teams? Would they still be All-State or All-Conference Selections? I don't know if sometimes stats can reflect how a goalie does. Anybody else have any thoughts? ....(maybe a bit off topic i guess, but i always think about this)

I did the math. Rosendahl faces an average of 20 shots per game (this includes the Roseau and Jamestown game even though the game sheet is missing on Gillens site). Deichert faces 18. Kringstad faces 27.

Average shots on each goalie per game - EDC (shots...not saves..)...All based on Gillen's Website...

Conway/Casey, Wahp - 45.7

Grothman, J - 37

Traynor, Shanley - 35.7

Welk, North - 32.7

Houkom/Guidinger, WF - 28.7

Kringstad, GPR - 27.2

Shane, GFC - 25

Rosendahl, RR - 21.4

Deichert, South - 17.9

Standings from Website

G.F. Red River

Fargo South

Grafton/P. River

West Fargo

Fargo North

Fargo Shanley

Jamestown

G.F. Central

Wahpeton/Breck

As I stated earlier, it is harder to keep a high save percentage when facing as few shots as these guys do. Also, I dont know if this is the case for Deichert, but RR gives up alot more breakaways than they create. For some reason they have a knack for giving up breakaways against teams they are dominating and as a goalie it has to be difficult to not see a shot for 8 minutes and then be faced with a clear breakaway. It is hard to say how these goalies would do if they were playing for a team such as Wahpeton or Jamestown, but you also have to realize that those goalies have been facing 40+ shots per game their entire careers which undoubtedly helps them develop as goalies. Rosendahl and Deichert have probably averaged less than 20 shots a game since they were 8 years old, who knows how good they would be had they been facing twice as many shots their whole life.

As I stated earlier, it is harder to keep a high save percentage when facing as few shots as these guys do. Also, I dont know if this is the case for Deichert, but RR gives up alot more breakaways than they create. For some reason they have a knack for giving up breakaways against teams they are dominating and as a goalie it has to be difficult to not see a shot for 8 minutes and then be faced with a clear breakaway. It is hard to say how these goalies would do if they were playing for a team such as Wahpeton or Jamestown, but you also have to realize that those goalies have been facing 40+ shots per game their entire careers which undoubtedly helps them develop as goalies. Rosendahl and Deichert have probably averaged less than 20 shots a game since they were 8 years old, who knows how good they would be had they been facing twice as many shots their whole life.

Or, who knows how poor of a save percentage they might have if they had faced twice as many shots.

This is an excellent post. We can talk about Kringstad, Deichert, and Rosendahl all we want, but not even Marty Broduer could save a team like Wahpeton. Its a sad fact that a goalie on a poor team will never win Mr. Hockey. They could be the best goaltender in the state, yet their numbers wouldn't show it.

Average shots on each goalie per game - EDC (shots...not saves..)...All based on Gillen's Website...

Conway/Casey, Wahp - 45.7

Grothman, J - 37

Traynor, Shanley - 35.7

Welk, North - 32.7

Houkom/Guidinger, WF - 28.7

Kringstad, GPR - 27.2

Shane, GFC - 25

Rosendahl, RR - 21.4

Deichert, South - 17.9

Standings from Website

G.F. Red River

Fargo South

Grafton/P. River

West Fargo

Fargo North

Fargo Shanley

Jamestown

G.F. Central

Wahpeton/Breck

same from the west .....

MINOT- brown 18.7 shots per game

WILLISTON- haugenoe 21.2

BIS. HIGH- hillman 29

DEVILS LAKE- groves 20.3

HAZEN- hermes 33

CENTURY- dehne 34

DICKINSON- kovacs 28

MANDAN- berger, kline 41.1

BOTTINEAU- lee 37.7

also the top 10 leading scorers form each region

EAST

FS-weisgarber 44 pts

GPR-p. campbell 41 pts

GPR-t. campbell 40 pts

FS-galt 29 pts

FS-larson 28 pts

FS-powers 26 pts

FS-a. campbell 24 pts

GPR-hills 22 pts

FS-wurden 22 pts

GFRR-mihulka 21 pts

WEST

H/B-mcbain 44 pts

MIN-stremick 34 pts

H/Bhaugsted 34 pts

DICK-burke 32 pts

MIN-dittus 32 pts

DICK-leiss 29 pts

MIN-lundy 27 pts

MIN-kelly 26 pts

H/B-phillion 26 pts

WILL-bustad 25 pts

This is an excellent post. We can talk about Kringstad, Deichert, and Rosendahl all we want, but not even Marty Broduer could save a team like Wahpeton. Its a sad fact that a goalie on a poor team will never win Mr. Hockey. They could be the best goaltender in the state, yet their numbers wouldn't show it.

They'd still have a chance to win the illustrious northdaktapreps.com player of the year as voted on by the members.

I believe Jamestown had a goalie win the award a while back, I don't recall the name of the goalie or how good/bad that team was though, but I can't imagine they were real solid.

I have to complement you folks on the nice anlaysis that you have provided on the goalie discussion. It is not too often where you have a group of posters on a high school board sharing objective information in an honest effort to try and answer a question (what makes a good goalie). Oftentimes the discussion falls down into a conflict aobut - our goalie is better than your goalie sort of situation. Keep up the good work, analysis, and information.

I believe Jamestown had a goalie win the award a while back, I don't recall the name of the goalie or how good/bad that team was though, but I can't imagine they were real solid.

Joe Vannett won the Mr. Hockey award as a goalie for Jamestown in 1995. That season Jamestown had a record of 13-6-1. At that time Jamestown was playing in the West Region. North, with a record of 7-14-0 played them in the first game at state and won 5-4 in OT. Matt Stockert who currently coaches Jamestown won Mr. Hockey in 1991 while playing for Jamestown. Jamestown has had two Mr. Hockey award winners.