SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on Red River-West Fargo tomorrow, tough draw for the Packers now to make state. I watched their game today and I truly believe this team deserves a spot in the state tournament. Boy is the deck stacked against them now. It's not every year where a team's three games at EDC consist of GFC, Red River, and GPR.

I was at the North/Grafton game... I thought that it was a great game! (however I was cheering for North). I thought it seemed pretty fair both ways... although there were times that I was saying the ref needed to put his whistle away. Some impressive goaltending tonight... good luck to both teams in the rest of the tournament

I hope you are not refering to the call Spivey made the first minute of the first overtime against North. That guy totally slashed the heck out of the Grafton guy. IT was quite obvious. And north did get a way with some calls infront of the net. I think it was called evenly as well though. And i was cheering for North as well.

I believe Grafton has a major mental edge over West Fargo in an elimination type situation. The Packers only being to 1 state tournament in school history might not know how to handle the pressures of that game. I guarantee you the Spoilers would rather have to deal with West Fargo than Central on their home ice to go to state. I just think Grafton matches up much better against WF than GFC. Grafton has outscored the Packers 10-0 this year in their two meetings, and Central just upended Grafton last week.

I fail to see the logic in how GPR would rather have to go through West Fargo in the loser-out game. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't West Fargo a better team than Central this season?

Ok so then Grafton has been throwing a few games. Yet again I say that they are failing to impress me. North is well coached, and has a great set of experianced leaders that are trying to make the best for their team. I think they will impress upon us how much hardowrk pays off.

I fail to see the logic in how GPR would rather have to go through West Fargo in the loser-out game. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't West Fargo a better team than Central this season?

I agree with you DaveK. I am not cynical enough to believe that Grafton would throw a game and then take the chance of winning the next 2 in the loser bracket. They obviously screwed up some teams by their recent losses--- first by losing to Central, and now to North. If Grafton had beaten Central, North would have played West Fargo, Shanley would have played Grafton, and Central would have played South. If they had beaten North, North and Shanley would have played today. For whatever reason, Grafton is finding a way to lose games that they should not.

Yes, West Fargo is the better team. They proved it by beating Central 3 times. Central is well-coached and everyone wants to believe that they are good because they are Central, but the fact of the matter is, they are not that good this year. Because of Grafton's recent loss to North, however, I suspect that they will make state because I think that they will beat North unless Welk stands on his head again. I suspect Grafton will also make state, which is too bad for West Fargo. :D

While he who shoots top shelf may have a point, I would doubt GPR tanked the game hence the fact they played two overtimes, but I do understand why Shanley then WF would be a more attractive road to the state tourney then South then Central. Dave K this is the reason why they would want to play WF over Central or Jamestown.... They have a 10-0 edge on WF and a 7-4 edge on central with a loss, they have a 8-6 edge over jamestown with a loss. To sum up, they didnt throw this game but I'm sure they knew that it was a preety good worst case scenario.

Although I have a hard time believing that Grafton would throw a game, it is in their best interest to avoid playing Central in a qualifying game. Grafton has had some very tough games with Central in the region tournament. Remember the '98 qualifying game between the two schools? Grafton beat a very weak Central team (only 7 wins that year) 2-1 in 4 overtime periods. And then there was the '00 semifinal lost to Central 1-0 in 3 OT's. But then again, Grafton has survived some very tough qualifying games in the past against some lower seeded teams. '01 4th seed Grafton beat 6th seed Jamestown 2-1in OT, '02 2nd seed Grafton beat 5th seed South in OT (2 OT's I think) and '04 4th seed Grafton beat 7th seed Shanley 6-5 in 2 OT's. Also they lost in '99 as the 3rd seed to 4th seed North 6-3 in a qualifying game.

No, I doubt that Grafton threw the game, North has missed the last 3 state tournaments and is going to play very hard to avoid missing a fourth. So don't assume that Central will beat North tomorrow and don't assume the Grafton will beat West Fargo. I know the Spoilers beat the Packers handily this season but the Packers are hungry too, so who knows.

Finally, I'm glad that the tournament is back at Purpur Arena. That atmosphere there on Friday nights and Saturdays during the tournament is always intense.

You bring up good points, Grafton does seem to struggle when it comes to tournament time. You left out their opening round lost to a 6th seeded West Fargo in 2003. Maybe West Fargo will catch an exhausted Grafton team on Saturday. The Campbell's, Miller, and Hills were all logging a ton of ice time in those overtime sessions.

You bring up good points, Grafton does seem to struggle when it comes to tournament time. You left out their opening round lost to a 6th seeded West Fargo in 2003. Maybe West Fargo will catch an exhausted Grafton team on Saturday. The Campbell's, Miller, and Hills were all logging a ton of ice time in those overtime sessions.

Peterson for Grafton has to be careful next game. He ahd four penalties last night. 5 would have left him out for the next game.

Central with a goal waved off

Still 1-0 Knights. Lots of penalties this period.

Grothman playing well

*Josh Ness in goal for the Knights.

Does anyone know why Bina is having a Josh Ness love fest right now? Shane was not bad in yesterdays game vs. WF. Ness was playing JV at the beginning of the year. Jamestown's Leben just scored 5 on 3 to tie the game with 5:01 left in the 2nd period. I think these teams have played 4 on 4 more than even strength this period.