SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

1. He plays his first and second lines throughout the game even when the score is a blow-out

2. He uses his players to make a name for himself

3. He talks down to every program that doesn't have the prestige that his program has. (thinks that all these other teams should be Jr. Gold AT BEST)

In a 8-0 game or whatever in the 3rd period...why not get some depth on your team and give the 3rd and 4th lines experience. Playing your top 2 lines for an entire game is not what will win you state championships. You think Weisgarber, Campbell, Larson, Powers, Galt ...any of those guys can learn anything from goin out continually after the score is already a blow-out? I don't think so...why not put the younger players in for some game experience.

It's just my opinion...

I don't know very much about Dean Wilson but there are a few things I do know. The grief coach Wilson took for Souths thrashing of Wahpeton early in the year probably played a part in his actions against Jamestown. In Tuesdays game against Jamestown Souths first line played one shift in the third period. South hardly put any pressure on Jamestown in the 3rd and I'm going to assume that was intentional. South scored a total of zero goals in the third period. Good defense? Maybe. Mercy? More likely.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Mihulka, needs a little work on some of the intangibles but is a big physical player who also is very good with the puck. I see him improving and maybe getting an opportunity. There are also a couple sophomore d around the state that have some potential later down the road (Galbreath, Ladoucer, Swanson).

Unless my correlation between your icon and hockey are incorrect I am surprised, TopShelf, you have yet to mention teammate Marc Harrie as wanting to play Jr. hockey. I know Marc has had a strong passion for the sport and despite his diminutive size he has the heart to play at the next level. Hopefully a coach somewhere will take that in effect and give him a shot. Give him an extra 20 lbs. and he's not so small anymore.

Among seniors I know of six players who apparently want to play juniors. As client 137 indicates, Junior "A" is the typical gateway for North Dakota high school players who aspire to Division I hockey. There may be more than these six but I know these six are interested because they have either already participated in a Junior "A" tryout, participated in a Junior "A" preseason camp, registered for the Midwest Exposure Elite Tournament (a scouting event for "Junior" teams and other levels), or have been contacted by a Junior "A" team and invited to a tryout - or done several of these activities. Of course, none of this guarantees that they will play Junior A or D-I hockey - it simply indicates an intention/desire, at this time, to try and make a Junior "A" team. The seniors include: Wesigarber (South), Galt (South), Petersen (Grafton), Monson (Bismarck), Klenow (North), and Mihulka (Red River). Just for background there are already four other North Dakota players who would still be in North Dakota high school hockey that are playing Junior "A" hockey - these include: Jordan Willert (Minot HS/Tri- City Storm). Elliot Okland (North HS/FM Jets), Mario Lamoureux (Central/Tri-City Storm) and PJ Lamoureux (Central/Red Deer). If anyone has data on other seniors who plan to tryout it would be great to add them to the list. I have not talked to any Minot people lately so there may be additions from their team as well as other teams. Last year's senior group (Class of 2005) had six or seven kids that made Junior "A" (Marto/Omaha, Vigen/Portage-LaPrairie, Selk F/M Jets, Bair Bismarck Bobcats, etc) or Junior "B" teams (Stadstad/Central/Dubuque Thunderbirds; Cusey/North/Minnesota Owls) as best as I can determine.

Ya wilson does need some work on his professionalism with other teams, players, and officials. IT is unfortunate that it took a few eyars before many of the past south skaters understood his immaturity. SOme examples are when he never enters his bench until nearly the drop of the puck, and then acts like a dink during the game. Current south players think he is God during their time there until they mature more. He is a good guy, but needs to show respect for the other people in the sport. As far as winning strategy goes, he did try other opportunities besides scoring. It does not say much for Wahp when they did not even know that there was not a Jamboree this fall...New coach that did not play past high school. You cannot just not score, it is how you play the game. Cycling two lines? he has played many players this year. Give South a break they have worked hard for where they are now. They deserve to be good.

Among seniors I know of six players who apparently want to play juniors. As client 137 indicates, Junior "A" is the typical gateway for North Dakota high school players who aspire to Division I hockey. There may be more than these six but I know these six are interested because they have either already participated in a Junior "A" tryout, participated in a Junior "A" preseason camp, registered for the Midwest Exposure Elite Tournament (a scouting event for "Junior" teams and other levels), or have been contacted by a Junior "A" team and invited to a tryout - or done several of these activities. Of course, none of this guarantees that they will play Junior A or D-I hockey - it simply indicates an intention/desire, at this time, to try and make a Junior "A" team. The seniors include: Wesigarber (South), Galt (South), Petersen (Grafton), Monson (Bismarck), Klenow (North), and Mihulka (Red River). Just for background there are already four other North Dakota players who would still be in North Dakota high school hockey that are playing Junior "A" hockey - these include: Jordan Willert (Minot HS/Tri- City Storm). Elliot Okland (North HS/FM Jets), Mario Lamoureux (Central/Tri-City Storm) and PJ Lamoureux (Central/Red Deer). If anyone has data on other seniors who plan to tryout it would be great to add them to the list. I have not talked to any Minot people lately so there may be additions from their team as well as other teams. Last year's senior group (Class of 2005) had six or seven kids that made Junior "A" (Marto/Omaha, Vigen/Portage-LaPrairie, Selk F/M Jets, Bair Bismarck Bobcats, etc) or Junior "B" teams (Stadstad/Central/Dubuque Thunderbirds; Cusey/North/Minnesota Owls) as best as I can determine.

ND PRIDE probably already knows this but Ross Monson of Bis. High skated with the Bismarck Bobcats of the NAHL before the high school season and will more then likley continue skating with the Bobcats after the high school season. Also i beleive Weisgarber and Galt of Fargo South have been in contact with numerous Junior A teams(NAHL-USHL) that show alot of interest . I have no knowledge of Peterson's(GPR) Mihulka's(GFRR) or Klenow's(FN) status with hockey after high school but I am sure they will try to continue playing, and will probably succeed in doing so . On another note there are A few underclassmen that ive heard(second hand ) may be moving on to Juniors such as Fargo South goaltender Sean Deichert and Bis. High goaltender Michael Hillman. Whether these two choose to do so or can I am unsure, this information is merely second hand information from parents around the state.

ND PRIDE probably already knows this but Ross Monson of Bis. High skated with the Bismarck Bobcats of the NAHL before the high school season and will more then likley continue skating with the Bobcats after the high school season. Also i beleive Weisgarber and Galt of Fargo South have been in contact with numerous Junior A teams(NAHL-USHL) that show alot of interest . I have no knowledge of Peterson's(GPR) Mihulka's(GFRR) or Klenow's(FN) status with hockey after high school but I am sure they will try to continue playing, and will probably succeed in doing so . On another note there are A few underclassmen that ive heard(second hand ) may be moving on to Juniors such as Fargo South goaltender Sean Deichert and Bis. High goaltender Michael Hillman. Whether these two choose to do so or can I am unsure, this information is merely second hand information from parents around the state.

Thanks for that info ND PRIDE and Magic Man21.some other players i believe are interested in playing after high school would include Nathan Stremick and Andy Dittus of Minot along with Justin Connell and Clark Dingeman of BHS ( all who participated in the Dakota Select Program) . Also a question , I beleive Thomas and Paul Campbell are among the elite in the state yet i have heard they are not interested in hockey after high school. Anyone hold any info on any of these players

I sure hope Minot actually gets beyond the consolation bracket this year. Minot has had some very good teams but there is a mental issue when they play the east for some reason in the state tournament. This started in 1993. In the mid, late 80's and early 90's, Minot did not seem to have the issue and were beating the east schools in the tournament. In 1992, the best teams in the state were from the west region, Minot, Bismarck and Jamestown. I think the only team that could compare to the 1992 Bismarck and Minot squads is this year's FArgo South squad. As I am from Minot, I would like to see them do something this year. I do not think the program has had too much intensity or focus since Bruce Olson left..1992 being the exception.

Any ideas on which of this year's kids will probably play D-1 hockey? I think Galt and Weisgarber for sure, one or two kids from Grafton, probably 2 or 3 kids from Minot and the Jamestown goalie. Any others?

I am from Minot as well sir, and my heart is absolutely broken every year since the streak started.... :p

People can rightfully argue that during this streak Minot has almost been Boston Redsox like in the way they've lost games. I can't remember the last time that Minot got a bounce in the first round of the state tournament. A couple of years ago they had West Fargo beat, and West Fargo scores two goals from behind the net. I guess one of these years Minot may win in the first round, but I never get my hopes up.... ;)

Ya wilson does need some work on his professionalism with other teams, players, and officials. IT is unfortunate that it took a few eyars before many of the past south skaters understood his immaturity. SOme examples are when he never enters his bench until nearly the drop of the puck, and then acts like a dink during the game. Current south players think he is God during their time there until they mature more. He is a good guy, but needs to show respect for the other people in the sport. As far as winning strategy goes, he did try other opportunities besides scoring. It does not say much for Wahp when they did not even know that there was not a Jamboree this fall...New coach that did not play past high school. You cannot just not score, it is how you play the game. Cycling two lines? he has played many players this year. Give South a break they have worked hard for where they are now. They deserve to be good.

Don't get me wrong he plays the 3rd line but I rarely see them...

Any chance he might go 1-2-1-2-3?

Ok and i mighta went a little far saying I hated him...I just don't agree with him...but I'm not wearing the fancy suits behind the benches

I sure hope Minot actually gets beyond the consolation bracket this year. Minot has had some very good teams but there is a mental issue when they play the east for some reason in the state tournament. This started in 1993. In the mid, late 80's and early 90's, Minot did not seem to have the issue and were beating the east schools in the tournament. In 1992, the best teams in the state were from the west region, Minot, Bismarck and Jamestown. I think the only team that could compare to the 1992 Bismarck and Minot squads is this year's FArgo South squad. As I am from Minot, I would like to see them do something this year. I do not think the program has had too much intensity or focus since Bruce Olson left..1992 being the exception.

Any ideas on which of this year's kids will probably play D-1 hockey? I think Galt and Weisgarber for sure, one or two kids from Grafton, probably 2 or 3 kids from Minot and the Jamestown goalie. Any others?

As a native of Jamestown I am pretty disappointed about the down play of the west region. Yeah Jamestown is in the East Region until next year and most people in Jamestown are upset with that too. They tend to believe that they can compete with the eastern teams and if they had their "A" game they might be able to but, from watching, I think they have been doing a lot of underperforming. They were supposed to have a good team this year and the Preseason polls had them ranked high. Even I thought they might be a little high too...even though I'm a J-town native.

Anyways...next year they will be in the West region and I am definitely excited to see the rivalry with Minot get back...Bring out the dead rabbits and blue rubber chickens!

And you also said that the Jamestown goalie might be able to play D-1 hockey...I think he is a great goalie but I think the scouts and all those people depend too much on the stats and his stats and teammates have not been there to back him up this year...

Magicman21 yes I was aware of Ross and his activity with the Bobcats. Clark Dingeman is apparently going to focus on baseball after high school and not pursue hockey. Never know, things can always change. I am just sharing information that is based on some evidence or communication from the player/parents, or publically available (with a lot of digging) Junior "A" information. All of the six I mentioned have actual evidence that they want to go on. Client137 Dittus played on the Elite I team which suggests he is serious about hockey and has the ability level to aspire to juniors. I don't have any info from them so I can't comment on it. I know Stremick, who is still a junior - although an 88 birth year, has the size and a couple of years ago a Canadian junior team was seeking information about him I think for the WHL bantam draft. Connell is a nice player and a very strong skater but I don't know what his plans might be. There has been some Canadian interest in Zach Welding of Jamestown and he has also done a USHL Junior "A" tryout so he is probably interested as well. Jamestown is having a tough season and some of the better players are not posting the numbers that they are capable of doing. Right now, it is easier to try and figure out which seniors will be throwing their hat in the "Junior Hockey" ring than to speculate on high school juniors. I also have had no confirmation that the Campbell's will continue after high school and I have tried to explore that topic. I just hope that a good group of kids try out for team North Dakota as there is a lot of potential if the top seniors from each team try out.

Maybe just a little bit of history here: Imagine a team today that has Paul Weisgarber, Adam Campbell, Grant Larson, Alan Spriggs, Nathan Stremick, Thomas Campbell, Nick Klenow, Ross Monson, Justin Connell, Clark Dingeman, Michael Hillman, Andrew Petersen, Justin Welk. A nice group of kids. Throw in Mario Lamoureux, Andrew Flurer, Trevor Anderson, Ian Grande, and Sam Wedin and you have the roster for a bantam team that lost 4-3 in the USA Hockey National Championship game in 2003. It would be great to see all of the seniors in that group -13 of the 17 listed - along with other top seniors (Marc Mihulka, Erick Galt, Andy Dittus, etc, etc - on Team North Dakota this year.

Magicman21 yes I was aware of Ross and his activity with the Bobcats. Clark Dingeman is apparently going to focus on baseball after high school and not pursue hockey. Never know, things can always change. I am just sharing information that is based on some evidence or communication from the player/parents, or publically available (with a lot of digging) Junior "A" information. All of the six I mentioned have actual evidence that they want to go on. Client137 Dittus played on the Elite I team which suggests he is serious about hockey and has the ability level to aspire to juniors. I don't have any info from them so I can't comment on it. I know Stremick, who is still a junior - although an 88 birth year, has the size and a couple of years ago a Canadian junior team was seeking information about him I think for the WHL bantam draft. Connell is a nice player and a very strong skater but I don't know what his plans might be. There has been some Canadian interest in Zach Welding of Jamestown and he has also done a USHL Junior "A" tryout so he is probably interested as well. Jamestown is having a tough season and some of the better players are not posting the numbers that they are capable of doing. Right now, it is easier to try and figure out which seniors will be throwing their hat in the "Junior Hockey" ring than to speculate on high school juniors. I also have had no confirmation that the Campbell's will continue after high school and I have tried to explore that topic. I just hope that a good group of kids try out for team North Dakota as there is a lot of potential if the top seniors from each team try out.

I saw Connell play once this year and he was definitely a standout player. Once again, I have watched Jamestown a lot this year - They have put up terrible numbers as far as stats and their record goes...Like I said I think they are underperforming...but I would just like to say that Zach Welding is an outstanding player, he's a very good stickhandler and has great speed and you have got to watch this kid lay some people out...He is a BIG hitter.....sorry for all the Jamestown talk (Damn J-town native...)

I think I can one-up these people who know Dean Wilson. You see... he was my PE teacher one year back at Fargo South (or was he still at Agassiz at the time) Anyways it was either 8th grade PE or 9th grade PE that I had him as a teacher.

To be honest, I never had more fun in gym with him as a teacher. Conversely, he wasn't the kind of guy who showed much empathy towards anyone that wasn't a jock. Now, it wasn't as bad as coaches are percieved in movies (jocks rule, everyone else do laps), it was far more subtle. Mainly in the area of teasing and bullying. I was teased mercilessly, a few times right in front of him. When I brought this up he told me to "act like a man and stand up to him." Well, I was 5'3" maybe 120 pounds at the time. THe guy I was to "stand up to" was closer to 6' tall and I don't know how many pounds. He was a jock. He played linebacker. Do you think I'd last long?

So, no, he's not a people person, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to athletics.

I've heard that Simonson, Galbreath, and LaDouceur from the GF area are thinking about trying to go to a Junior A team in the coming years, can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?

80 percent of the kids playing high school hockey are probably trying to make a juniors team and play hockey after high school.

80 percent of the kids playing high school hockey are probably trying to make a juniors team and play hockey after high school.

80% is a stretch in my mind. If you look at the number of players playing Jr's this year that graduated last year I think it's reasonable to believe that percent is more likely to be around 20% (or less). There are places for players to play whether its Jr. A, B, C even. A lot of high school hockey players would have a shot at making Jr. B and Jr. C teams and I'm not finding many past ND high schoolers on these rosters so my assumption is that they have not persued it. 80% would mean 80% of every teams players. The top two teams in the state South and Red River, won't have 80% of its players play past high school. With that in mind, I doubt Central, West Fargo, Mandan, North, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Minot, or Bismarck High, etc. will have 80% of it's players play after high school.

There is a lot of talent in ND high school hockey this year. The topic of Juniors is a great one to discuss I believe. I know that Paul Weisgarber of South tried out for Lincoln of the USHL last summer, and I'm assuming he's receiving similar attention from USHL teams this year and he will continue his play there. Teammate Erick Galt really turned some heads last year and I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say he will also be heavily recruited to play Jr's. Neither of the Campells played Selects last year and through the grapevine I have heard they are looking to focus on college and hang up the skates. I am curious to hear if Grant Larson of Fargo South will give his try at Jr. A hockey? Any thoughts on that? Marc Mihulka is a hockey players hockey player. There is no doubt in my mind he will be successful wherever he plays. I had some interesting news brought to me the other day. My friend frequently talks with the radio announcer for the FM-Jets and rumour was that Klenow (spelling?) of North will play for them when his season ends. Unlikely he'd make a major impact, with no time to adjust. He also mentioned Paul Weisgarber but I could not follow what he was saying. I think it would have to be just practices with team chemistry getting mixed up in all that. In any case it sounds as though we have a few potential Jr players from all over the state.

The percentage of North Dakota High School Seniors who will actually try to make a Junior team is, at best 5%. There are 18 high school varsity teams in the state and maybe 16 JV - let's rough the roster size out to about 17 on average per team (34 teams in total). If we multiply 34 teams times 17 players we get 578 players - lets just round it to 600 for this exercise. From the tryout rosters that I have seen from last year and the list of kids who made the teams, I estimate that about 10-12 seniors tried out - maybe an additional 3-4 juniors did so for the experience. If we use 80% that would be about 480 kids - my review of last years tryout rosters - most of which are all publically posted indicates about 10 or so - that is about 5% of the seniors (rough estimate - 600 players divided by 3 for soph/jun/senior classes = 200 seniors. Then divide 10 kids trying out by 200 = 5%). This is all rough but the point is that it is a very small percentage. Assuming that each class has 5% that want to try out then during any one season you have about 15% of the kids, in all classes, who may try out for a junior team. You might have a couple of kids who try to play club hockey in college or D-III who do not play juniors but that would only add a few more to the total.

Now, if you mean will "play hockey after high school" - I assume you are talking about college or juniors and not men's league - which will still not reach near 80%, not even 50% in my speculation.

Statistics on this issue are sometimes provided in the program for the North Dakota High School Hockey Tournament (a listing of kids and where they are playing hockey post-high school).

The percentage of North Dakota High School Seniors who will actually try to make a Junior team is, at best 5%. There are 18 high school varsity teams in the state and maybe 16 JV - let's rough the roster size out to about 17 on average per team (34 teams in total). If we multiply 34 teams times 17 players we get 578 players - lets just round it to 600 for this exercise. From the tryout rosters that I have seen from last year and the list of kids who made the teams, I estimate that about 10-12 seniors tried out - maybe an additional 3-4 juniors did so for the experience. If we use 80% that would be about 480 kids - my review of last years tryout rosters - most of which are all publically posted indicates about 10 or so - that is about 5% of the seniors (rough estimate - 600 players divided by 3 for soph/jun/senior classes = 200 seniors. Then divide 10 kids trying out by 200 = 5%). This is all rough but the point is that it is a very small percentage. Assuming that each class has 5% that want to try out then during any one season you have about 15% of the kids, in all classes, who may try out for a junior team. You might have a couple of kids who try to play club hockey in college or D-III who do not play juniors but that would only add a few more to the total.

Now, if you mean will "play hockey after high school" - I assume you are talking about college or juniors and not men's league - which will still not reach near 80%, not even 50% in my speculation.

Statistics on this issue are sometimes provided in the program for the North Dakota High School Hockey Tournament (a listing of kids and where they are playing hockey post-high school).

Thanks for the good post. I was getting a bit annoyed by the number of players that some people think will be playin D-I college hockey. Then when they said 80% of high schoolers intend on playing after high school, well that just made me laugh.

Thanks for the good post. I was getting a bit annoyed by the number of players that some people think will be playin D-I college hockey. Then when they said 80% of high schoolers intend on playing after high school, well that just made me laugh.

I didn't say 80 percent of the kids would play college or juniors. Maybe i didnt state it right but what i meant is that a majority of the high school hockey players would like to play juniors or college.

GF Central 4 North 2.

That clusters things up at the bottom of the east Region. Right now its:

5. Fargo North-12 Points

6. Shanley-12 Points

7. Central-10 Points

Remaining Games

Fargo North-Shanley, South

Shanley-North (not sure who else)

Central-Jamestown, Grafton, South

I see North beating Shanley, but losing of course to South, and finishing with 14 points. Shanley will finish with 12 (unless they have Wahpeton), and Central will more than likely finish with 12. That means that Central would either play Fargo South or Red River in the first round of the EDC because of the lost tiebreaker to Shanley....wow. That would make for some great hockey on day #1... ;)